Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 subjects

Options
  • 13-08-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I am looking for advice,
    I teach in a small school and have been there over 20 years.
    I am awaiting my time table and have a question.
    I have two subjects with a large practical element.

I think I will be asked to teach LCVP as we are a small school with low numbers etc. I did teach LCVP over 15 years ago for a few years as I was asked to do this and I never felt comfortable or wanted to do it. I don't teach Bus Studies.

Have I any rights to decline.

There are a few on staff teaching only one subject and I really don't want to be teaching 3 with practical elements.
    Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Daisy98 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for advice,
    I teach in a small school and have been there over 20 years.
    I am awaiting my time table and have a question.
    I have two subjects with a large practical element.

I think I will be asked to teach LCVP as we are a small school with low numbers etc. I did teach LCVP over 15 years ago for a few years as I was asked to do this and I never felt comfortable or wanted to do it. I don't teach Bus Studies.

Have I any rights to decline.

There are a few on staff teaching only one subject and I really don't want to be teaching 3 with practical elements.
    Thanks for the advice.

I think you would have to ring your union to be sure. I think the school would throw 'the needs of the school' spiel at you and at the end of the day, management make the decisions.

Link Modules/LCVP is a nice subject to teach. If you could work with the Career Guidance/ICT teacher(s), they would be happy to help with the portfolio items. The Career Guidance teacher should be doing the CV, letter of application and career investigation anyway and these items could be typed up in ICT class. Also, you don't need to be a business studies teacher to teach LCVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Daisy98

Thanks for the reply.

I have taught it before, I think a Bus teacher is ideal for LCVP.

I have a very heavy work load so just want my facts before I try to decline.

Union was a good help, just back to me in last few mins, if its not in your contract then you don't have to do it.
    Thats an ease to my mind anyhow.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Daisy98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I have taught it before, I think a Bus teacher is ideal for LCVP.

I have a very heavy work load so just want my facts before I try to decline.

Union was a good help, just back to me in last few mins, if its not in your contract then you don't have to do it.
    Thats an ease to my mind anyhow.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

No problem! If it is a small school - who will teach it? Could you end up with CSPE/SPHE/Religion etc.?

If the worst comes to the worst - could your timetable be cut as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Ah ya,the problems of a small school and being a martyr in putting the school first while others march about doing sweet f a!!! Its amazing how some teachers get away with doing very little while the busiest teacher seems to make time for everything thrown at her.....with no thanks whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Daisy98

ethical wrote: »
    Ah ya,the problems of a small school and being a martyr in putting the school first while others march about doing sweet f a!!! Its amazing how some teachers get away with doing very little while the busiest teacher seems to make time for everything thrown at her.....with no thanks whatsoever!

I totally agree and see it all the time 😊, while I am a team player others need a chance to play on the team too!
    Needs of the school and all that.... I have heard that so many times. Management need to look around at reality, and balance people's workload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Well there are a few in our place that got top posts a couple of years ago,hours and timetables cut, and they now do sweet fa...other than going around scratching their unmentionables!

Advertisement