Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Interesting Checked the Phone Number on the Site Today and Has Changed from July to September to October to December 2013 :mad:

2zf60zc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Interesting Checked the Phone Number on the Site Today and Has Changed from July to September to October to December 2013 :mad:

They've changed it again...maybe ignore that and the map for the moment. :s

Just use the online checker with your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

are eircom still looking for a line rental these days or have they copped on to the fact that BB and VOIP bundle pricing are the way forward?

Update: NT networks working up at Drummin today. I suppose the Willow Grove area will have cabs installed soon. I note from the map that a cab is located in Kilpedder. Just wondering if Kipedder is connected to Newtown exchange and Willow Grove connected to Greystones if there're routing the cable all the way through Delgany from Greystones?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    are eircom still looking for a line rental these days or have they copped on to the fact that BB and VOIP bundle pricing are the way forward?

Update: NT networks working up at Drummin today. I suppose the Willow Grove area will have cabs installed soon. I note from the map that a cab is located in Kilpedder. Just wondering if Kipedder is connected to Newtown exchange and Willow Grove connected to Greystones if there're routing the cable all the way through Delgany from Greystones?

It's still line rental. It'll be the case until the people cop on that VoIP is the way forward.

Drummin and Willow Grove are in the Greystones exchange. Kilpeddar is connected to the Newtownmountkennedy exchange. Kilcoole is too according to others but the Eircom wholesale map says otherwise. :S

red_bairn wrote: »
    It's still line rental. It'll be the case until the people cop on that VoIP is the way forward.

Drummin and Willow Grove are in the Greystones exchange. Kilpeddar is connected to the Newtownmountkennedy exchange. Kilcoole is too according to others but the Eircom wholesale map says otherwise. :S

On the Mapping it Says Kilcoole will be Connected to Newtown exchange for VDSL but that is not the Case from Speaking to engineers they have run the Fibre up through Charlesland via Eden gate i have seen them do this, but from Line Checker it would point to Kilcoole being connected to Newtown as Live date is inline with Newtown Launch later this year.

• Advertisement

On the Mapping it Says Kilcoole will be Connected to Newtown exchange for VDSL but that is not the Case from Speaking to engineers they have run the Fibre up through Charlesland via Eden gate i have seen them do this, but from Line Checker it would point to Kilcoole being connected to Newtown as Live date is inline with Newtown Launch later this year.

I'd pay more attention to the engineers who laid the cables down rather than the online systems.

Charlesland Wood cabinet installed. Adding to map!

20s6tlg.jpg

I saw that KN networks were excavting at the ESB sub-station at Seabourne view so I guess that they've routed power to the cab on that side.

Charlesland Wood cabinet installed. Adding to map!

I saw that KN networks were excavting at the ESB sub-station at Seabourne view so I guess that they've routed power to the cab on that side.

I've edited it and moved it to the rest of the Greystones list (Page 8).

I added your image to it as well. It will be added to the Fusion map over the next couple of days.

Edit: Could you get the code off the copper cabinet for me as well, please? "GRS1_XXX"

There is easily 40 cabs between Greystones and Delgany. There may be more VDSL cabs that have been installed or waiting to be done. I've fingers crossed that Greystones will be going live this month.

I had a look at the cabinet today in Charlesland Wood. There is no particular stamp or badge, just a faint 3 digit number: 050 (I think that's what it is; it could be 030 as its not very clear).

So in interest I took a walk over to the other cabinet at Seabourne View and the marking is much clearer for that one (051). There is no prefix 'GRS1_' or anything like that. As this one is marked 051, I trust the Charlesland Wood copper cabinet is 050?!

Not sure how to add the pic to the collaboration map but here's a pic for Seabourne View.

2jchqgn.jpg

Not sure how to add the pic to the collaboration map but here's a pic for Seabourne View.

Click EDIT.
    Choose Seabourne View (Marker).
    In the Marker dialog box, click on Rich Text.
    Click Insert Image (image icon).

I've added it for you. :)

• Advertisement

List of cabinets being deployed around Ireland (including Greystones) and when they will be live for use.

Edit: We need to look out for any on this fusion map that haven't been mapped.

The current cabinet's that are missing their VDSL partners (or that I have not yet seen):

GRS1_002 Killincarrig/Delgany Roundabout
    GRS1_010 (Outside) Eden Wood / Edengate roundabout
    GRS1_016 Barry's Bridge, Drummin
    GRS1_030 Delgany National School
    GRS1_031 Delgany Glen, Killincarrig
    GRS1_032 Convent Court (pedestrian walkway)
    GRS1_034 Delgany Wood/Across from Thornbury
    GRS1_035 Windgates (Rathdown Road)
    GRS1_039 Meridian
    GRS1_040 Meridian (both across from bookshop)
    GRS1_052 Charlesland Grove
    GRS1_058 Charlesland - Crescent Apartments
    GRS1_059 Charlesland Court
    GRS1_064 Edengate (across from Priory Court)
    GRS1_065 TBC
    GRS1_066 Charlesland Park

Please keep an eye for them and take a snap of them in their environs if you can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

:) Don't forget the one we both reported .. #38

List of cabinets being deployed around Ireland (including Greystones) and when they will be live for use.

Edit: We need to look out for any on this fusion map that haven't been mapped.

The current cabinet's that are missing their VDSL partners (or that I have not yet seen):

GRS1_002 Killincarrig/Delgany Roundabout
    GRS1_010 (Outside) Eden Wood / Edengate roundabout
    GRS1_016 Barry's Bridge, Drummin
    GRS1_030 Delgany National School
    GRS1_031 Delgany Glen, Killincarrig
    GRS1_032 Convent Court (pedestrian walkway)
    GRS1_034 Delgany Wood/Across from Thornbury
    GRS1_035 Windgates (Rathdown Road)
    GRS1_038 Greystones - GRS - Kindlestown Heights (Delgany) < really Kindlestown Upper or Bellevue Hill >
    GRS1_039 Meridian
    GRS1_040 Meridian (both across from bookshop)
    GRS1_052 Charlesland Grove
    GRS1_058 Charlesland - Crescent Apartments
    GRS1_059 Charlesland Court
    GRS1_064 Edengate (across from Priory Court)
    GRS1_065 TBC
    GRS1_066 Charlesland Park

Please keep an eye for them and take a snap of them in their environs if you can. :)

Taltos wrote: »
    :) Don't forget the one we both reported .. #38

Yeah, there is one there. The list above are the ones that do not have a VDSL cabinet beside them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Yeah, there is one there. The list above are the ones that do not have a VDSL cabinet beside them.

Can someone explain this obsession with listing these cabinets? With such detail, even down to their numbers?

Is it some sort of train spotting fetish? Just asking.

Can someone explain this obsession with listing these cabinets? With such detail, even down to their numbers?

Is it some sort of train spotting fetish? Just asking.

Kind of. It's just a public crowdsourcing project to provide information on the whereabouts of local cabinets which would show the broadband users whether VDSL technology is available in their area. According to reports by customers contacting Broadband Sales, a customer can only avail of the service if within a 1KM of copper line to the cabinet.

VDSL technology is quite important for individuals who want to work from home using demanding applications that require great amounts of bandwidth especially in the upstream of things (uploading to servers or using Remote Desktop are quite demanding).
    "Sufficient outbound bandwidth is also critical when hosting remotely-accessible services on your LAN. If you use Remote Desktop or LogMeIn or other remote protocol to access your home or office computer while on the road, you should have at least 1 Mbps upstream. 2 Mbps or better is a good idea when accessing remote files via VPN (or use Sharepoint Online, Google-Apps, or Office 365). If you’re hosting a website, you’ll need some significant outbound bandwidth too, but that becomes more complicated because your bandwidth requirements will change depending on how popular your site is. I recommend 2 Mbps or more to start."
    -URL="http://www.tesla-it.com/en-us/terms-and-definitions/why-is-internet-bandwidth-so-important"]Source[/URL

But it is also needed for the home users who are currently using VOD or other services that require more bandwidth for solid streaming. Netflix and RTE player are examples of Video on demand (VOD) services.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. I have google at hand to help me out. :D

Line Checker now Says July to September :D

Line Checker now Says July to September :D

They always meant to say that. The map says July to September. They just like to confuse people. It must be some kind of game for them. Especially when they pass you on from department to department just to figure out if you are on ADSL or ADSL2+.:
    Tech Support: "No. You are still on 8Mb[...]Hold on, I'll put you through Broadband Sales to place an order."

Customer Service (not Sales):"Yes. You are on 24Mb [...]"

Me:"Eh...no, I was just told by the Tech team that we are on our original 8Mb package. We received a letter a few weeks back saying that the title on our package would change to "Advanced". Is it possible that we just have an amended title and the engineer hasn't ported us over?"

Customer Service:"Hmmm, maybe. [Cut off for a few minutes while he chats to another person/superior] I will put the order through again and the change will happen in 24hrs."

[This was a lie.]

[I left a message on the forums where the moderator said it would take UP TO 10 days.]

[Currently at Day 5. It is suppose to be done today. Next Monday by latest.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

any sign of the roll-out of this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Spoke to Eircom a week ago about Eden Gate and was told they had no dates at the moment. Which is weird as I can see the new boxes there.

Similarly onto Magnet about Delgany, where 2 months ago they told me December, Sales are now saying they too have no information from Eircom and December is unlikely. Rang back twice just to be sure - same answer both times.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

We're in Kilcoole, the website says we can get eFibre now, when I rang though they said it will take another month. Last time I rang they said late August, now they are saying Greystones exchange is due to be enabled on the 2nd October. We've an appointment for 11th October to get whatever needs to be done in the house completed.

• Advertisement

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    We're in Kilcoole, the website says we can get eFibre now, when I rang though they said it will take another month. Last time I rang they said late August, now they are saying Greystones exchange is due to be enabled on the 2nd October. We've an appointment for 11th October to get whatever needs to be done in the house completed.

Here, this explains it all.

They do work at the local cabinet for a bit. If the lines are half decent you might have it all done in 15mins. :D

Charlesland: Cabs installed at Charlesland Crescent (GRS-058) and Charlesland Court (GRS-059). No cab yet for Charlesland Grove (GRS-052) that I can see. I may be confusing the Crescent with the Park (GRS_066). Or the park may be the grove one. I'll check the numbers on the side. Anyway, if your previous list is right there's an existing ADSL cab hiding somewhere in Charlesland.

Charlesland: Cabs installed at Charlesland Crescent (GRS-058) and Charlesland Court (GRS-059). No cab yet for Charlesland Grove (GRS-052) that I can see. I may be confusing the Crescent with the Park (GRS_066). Or the park may be the grove one. I'll check the numbers on the side. Anyway, if your previous list is right there's an existing ADSL cab hiding somewhere in Charlesland.

So we are waiting for Grove and Park? If you can check those numbers, that'll be great. Thanks!~

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

There's been no sign of any upgrading at 066 in Charlesland Park, or the one in Charlesland Grove.

on passing the grove (just before the park starts on the spine) it has 052 on the ADSL cab. @Myperfectcousin, where is the 066 ADSL cab do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

on passing the grove (just before the park starts on the spine) it has 052 on the ADSL cab. @Myperfectcousin, where is the 066 ADSL cab do you know?

Further up the spine. About halfway up the Park section. It's not as obvious as it is smaller than the Grove one and nicely integrated into a row of shrubs in matching green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Here, this explains it all.

They do work at the local cabinet for a bit. If the lines are half decent you might have it all done in 15mins. :D

Cheers!

Eden Gate have two VDSL cabs in, 064 & 065.

AFAIK eircom need to get permission from the relevant land owners (management companies) to install on private lands - perhaps this is the holdup for both Charlesland Grove & Park? Anyone reading this on the committee over there with any info?!

Eden Gate have two VDSL cabs in, 064 & 065.

AFAIK eircom need to get permission from the relevant land owners (management companies) to install on private lands - perhaps this is the holdup for both Charlesland Grove & Park? Anyone reading this on the committee over there with any info?!

Probably the case for a lot of the hold ups in the fibre roll out. That and people moaning about cabinets being an eye sore or something else... :D

• Advertisement

066 Charlesland Park is nicely inserted into the hedge which is why it wasn't obvious to me. The hedge has grown since and tearing down a section of hedge is needed to fit it alongside or else stick the cab on the other side of the footpath (less ideal). We'll see what happen so!

Advertisement