Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way about getting a job in the merchant navy

Options
  • 28-02-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Any body no the best possible route to take to do this in ireland, prefarable with out having to do a 3 year slug in college

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I'm afraid there is no easy way to join the merchant navy.

There are basically two career paths that can be followed. An officer (Deck or Engine) or a rating ( normal sailor).

Today there is practically no opportunities for Irish people who want to go to sea as a rating. You would be undercut by ratings from the far east who are prepared to do very long trips for absolute peanuts.

The other route is to train to be come a Deck or Engine Officer. Both require three years in college and when qualified you need to go back to college for another year after you have completed a certain amount of sea time. There are also Orals exams at the end of each college phase.

It is not at all easy and not for the faint hearted. It takes longer to train to become a Captain or Chief Engineer that it does to become a doctor.

If you were going to do it I would strongly recommend going down the officer route. There is nothing out there these days for ratings....nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

I'm afraid there is no easy way to join the merchant navy.

There are basically two career paths that can be followed. An officer (Deck or Engine) or a rating ( normal sailor).

Today there is practically no opportunities for Irish people who want to go to sea as a rating. You would be undercut by ratings from the far east who are prepared to do very long trips for absolute peanuts.

The other route is to train to be come a Deck or Engine Officer. Both require three years in college and when qualified you need to go back to college for another year after you have completed a certain amount of sea time. There are also Orals exams at the end of each college phase.

It is not at all easy and not for the faint hearted. It takes longer to train to become a Captain or Chief Engineer that it does to become a doctor.

If you were going to do it I would strongly recommend going down the officer route. There is nothing out there these days for ratings....nothing.
    My cousin is going down the root of officer training, for the merchant navy, he says it is very interesting, but also very hard, academic wise.

lorcan122 wrote: »
    My cousin is going down the root of officer training, for the merchant navy, he says it is very interesting, but also very hard, academic wise.

Its pretty tough alright. I am at the end of the road now on the deck officer route and I can assure you that takes commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

me oul fella started out along time ago he,s at sea well over 30 years, worked his way up from just being a deckhand and is now holding the rank of captain, he studied in cit and nowadays in the nmci in ringaskiddy, i think his longets employer was bell lines in waterford before they went belly up in the 90,s

I started out in the CIT and more recently studied in the NMCI.

• Advertisement

ya never know ya might have been in same class as me oul fella at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

There is also the ETO (Electrical Technican Officer) route although I'm not sure if this is available in the NMCI. As mentioned earlier the Rating route is a no go unless your willing to work for pittance with long hours. The Deck officer Route is a good one to take if you want to stay at sea or at least within the Marine industry whereas the Engineer route has far more opportunities to go work in shore industries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just beware, the CAO points to get into Cork are very low, but this is due to the very low demand to get onto the course.

Once you do get in, the academic side is demanding with maths being the major stumbling block for many students (especially on the deck side). Principles of Navigation is one hell of a tough subject that demands a lot of study. But this isn't the only tricky one by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as a old sea dog myself,i would think the best thing for you is to go over and study in the UK,there is a superb nautical campus near me fleetwood,http://www.blackpool.ac.uk/nautical/ocean/campus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

alphasully wrote: »
    There is also the ETO (Electrical Technican Officer) route although I'm not sure if this is available in the NMCI. As mentioned earlier the Rating route is a no go unless your willing to work for pittance with long hours. The Deck officer Route is a good one to take if you want to stay at sea or at least within the Marine industry whereas the Engineer route has far more opportunities to go work in shore industries.

Hearing there is big demand for ETO's at the moment, by the sound of it that demand is expected to increase.
    Just did a search, available in Cork, but as "getz" mentioned, I believe anyone interested should defiantly consider UK college.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

323 wrote: »
    Hearing there is big demand for ETO's at the moment, by the sound of it that demand is expected to increase.
    Just did a search, available in Cork, but as "getz" mentioned, I believe anyone interested should defiantly consider UK college.

Yeah, concidering where the NMCI is located and how hard and costly it is to get there.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just beware, the CAO points to get into Cork are very low, but this is due to the very low demand to get onto the course.

Once you do get in, the academic side is demanding with maths being the major stumbling block for many students (especially on the deck side). Principles of Navigation is one hell of a tough subject that demands a lot of study. But this isn't the only tricky one by any means.

Students starting over the last few years have not had to do Principles. I couldn't believe it. They have done away with it. Apparently the MCA did away with it years ago.

That and Law were the toughest of the lot.... or maybe it was just Toft's eloquent delivery!!!

Either way they are lucky feckers not to have to do it anymore. Can't help but feel they are dumbing down the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Nothing wrong with NMCI at Ringaskiddy. My nephew did marine engineering there. Shipping companies queuing up to offer them jobs. He went to Princess cruise's. After one trip in SE Asia he left. He now works in a supermarket, but he's happy.:eek:

most [if not all] the nautical colleges in th UK are affiliated to the large shipping companies,so you are sure of a job when you are qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

getz wrote: »
    most [if not all] the nautical colleges in th UK are affiliated to the large shipping companies,so you are sure of a job when you are qualified

The FOC that is The Red Duster, always needs cadets

The FOC that is The Red Duster, always needs cadets
    what ever hapened to radio officers ,at one time you could train for six months[in trafford park manchester] and get in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

what ever hapened to radio officers ,at one time you could train for six months[in trafford park manchester] and get in that way

Gone ,only place you can still see traffic lists by all accounts is China

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Students starting over the last few years have not had to do Principles. I couldn't believe it. They have done away with it. Apparently the MCA did away with it years ago.

That and Law were the toughest of the lot.... or maybe it was just Toft's eloquent delivery!!!

Either way they are lucky feckers not to have to do it anymore. Can't help but feel they are dumbing down the syllabus.

WOW! Definitely part and parcel of getting your ticket. You can only "turn the handle" for so long without knowing why you're doing it.

Toft is/was a formidable lecturer, but he generally treated senior cadets very well and certainly gave us quite a few extra classes to get down to the nitty gritty of the subject. He once exclaimed to us "ah lads, it's not rocket science" and one lad replied without looking up; "alright for you Sir, you were probably a rocket scientist before you went to sea". We all fell around after that one :pac:

WOW! Definitely part and parcel of getting your ticket. You can only "turn the handle" for so long without knowing why you're doing it.

Toft is/was a formidable lecturer, but he generally treated senior cadets very well and certainly gave us quite a few extra classes to get down to the nitty gritty of the subject. He once exclaimed to us "ah lads, it's not rocket science" and one lad replied without looking up; "alright for you Sir, you were probably a rocket scientist before you went to sea". We all fell around after that one :pac:

Toft was a legend alright. Once in his class I exclaimed, completely exasperated, "Sir, I just don't understand what you are talking about"

Toft: "Well I just don't understand how you don't understand what I'm talking about....ok class, moving on"...

An absolute gent all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i definetly agree with this, when i went to do marine engineering years ago the points to get in were 200:eek:, and it was the maths that got me, there was physics, mechanics, thermodynamics, all fairly tricky subjects if you are a bit weak on maths,
    i only managed the 1 year, the subjects have been changed since but i think it is basically still as tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

bladebrew wrote: »

i definetly agree with this, when i went to do marine engineering years ago the points to get in were 200:eek:, and it was the maths that got me, there was physics, mechanics, thermodynamics, all fairly tricky subjects if you are a bit weak on maths,
    i only managed the 1 year, the subjects have been changed since but i think it is basically still as tough
    Most people go in expecting it to be a doodle for the first year, and do nothing and they get screwed in the exams at the end of year. They need to start from the beginning if they want to do well.

the nmci is ideally located for the naval service's use and thats about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Was not aware of that.
    Was a 3 year full time course over 20 years ago when I finished. Although we did do the RO exams in second year, no one would have got a job with that alone, without completing the electronics/Communications diploma and the Radar and microwave modules in third year.
    No jobs when I finished in late 80's then GMDSS got rid of the RO's in the early/mid 90's. I don't think the bean counters at most companies realised it but by then though the RO had already become the ETO. Heard a lot of bitching from a few friends,both Masters and Chiefs about the loss of their RO/ETO then.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm sure Irish cadets still do principals, its just the UK one's that don't

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm sure Irish cadets still do principals, its just the UK one's that don't

There are ways around it. Personally I did it myself (nightmare) but when I did my masters prep course I did it with a chap who was ex seamanship who never did the "Bridging course" meaning Principles, physics and applied maths.

He did everything else but when push came to shove he was told that the bridging course was no longer required.

He passed his Master orals and now has a full Irish Master Mariner Unlimited. I **** you not.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed. The bridging modules really sorted our the boys from the men academically and now it appears they are been given a pass.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There are ways around it. Personally I did it myself (nightmare) but when I did my masters prep course I did it with a chap who was ex seamanship who never did the "Bridging course" meaning Principles, physics and applied maths.

He did everything else but when push came to shove he was told that the bridging course was no longer required.

He passed his Master orals and now has a full Irish Master Mariner Unlimited. I **** you not.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed. The bridging modules really sorted our the boys from the men academically and now it appears they are been given a pass.....

I wasn't aware of that. I would have thought it was mandatory given the cadets have to do it. I certainly had to do it for my OoW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

i did my OOW 2007 and the my chief mate/masters in 2011 and at that stage principals of nav was definately a requirement........

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Was not aware of that.
    Was a 3 year full time course over 20 years ago when I finished. Although we did do the RO exams in second year, no one would have got a job with that alone, without completing the electronics/Communications diploma and the Radar and microwave modules in third year.
    No jobs when I finished in late 80's then GMDSS got rid of the RO's in the early/mid 90's. I don't think the bean counters at most companies realised it but by then though the RO had already become the ETO. Heard a lot of bitching from a few friends,both Masters and Chiefs about the loss of their RO/ETO then.

I have heard recently that a new ETO course was starting up in NMCI, it's been a few years since I was in the college has anyone heard about this? I believe ETOs are in demand for many types of ships and offshore vessels.

Bligh wrote: »
    I have heard recently that a new ETO course was starting up in NMCI, it's been a few years since I was in the college has anyone heard about this? I believe ETOs are in demand for many types of ships and offshore vessels.

I haven't heard of the course but are right, they are very much in demand these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

We still do Principals for the degree side of NS but the Higher cert lads get the 'get out of Kim's class' card until they come back for CMM. Clive, the hero, saved us all in that one the year I went through..

Advertisement