Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bus to keep or not to keep?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whats the general view of charlesland about the shuttle bus?

I know Shaun does a cracking Job, but do you think we should keep paying for the bus or drop it?

it doesn't work out too much on average per household (about €45 i think depending on your estate and fee %)

what are your thoughts?

Should Charlesland Committees retain the bus service? 70 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    78% 55 votes
    Don't Care
    21% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is this poll open to non forum users too and if it is how would they vote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Surely this is something to be discussed with the mgt co as lot of people living in the estate don't read this blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

No harm in this poll - if you live in Charlesland and are interested - vote. If not, you can still vote!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

caji wrote: »
    Surely this is something to be discussed with the mgt co as lot of people living in the estate don't read this blog.

The poll is just an opinion here and wont change anything.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Is this poll open to non forum users too and if it is how would they vote ?

Non-users have to register with the site before they can vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,911 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't use it that much but its a very handy service and I think it should be kept - how many housing units are in Charlesland?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

1500 incl apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Don't use it often ( 2or3 times a year) but i don't mind paying for it as it a great service to have for the Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I don't use it, although I have in the past. Another member of the household uses it now, but didn't used to. Another uses it occasionally.

We'd survive if it went away, but I value having it. If I were to try to sell my place at some point, for example, I think it would be a great sales feature for potential buyers who are DART commuters.

So the approximate cost is 68k a year?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

i think so yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

I resent having to pay the money as I never use it. I get the 84X everyday and believe that the public bus service is now adequate for residents to plan their journey accordingly and either catch the bus, walk, cycle or drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chanelno5

This service is invaluable and it's crazy to even think about getting rid of it. So many depend on this service and during the snow we would have been lost without it. As for the 84x, who knows when that service could be curtailed as Dublin bus have a habit of doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I agree, many do depend on it, however considering that the bus can accommodate 60 max per trip, it's fair to say that only a very slim minority of the those who pay for it can actually avail of it.

Re the 84x, it's not the only route serving the station, the 184 does also. Given how well used those busses are, it's unlikely in the short term that those services will be curtailed, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I have say that I don't use it very often, but it has bailed me out of transport problems last year when I had no car and my dependency turned to public transport. My other half uses it everyday. Now I know it's not just a safety net for car trouble, but at least you have peace of mind that you can still get out and about without the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It came in handy there over the cold snaps too, when the 84x wasn't running or failed to run on time. I don't think it missed a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Don't use it very often. Wife does. Think its a great service to keep. Definitely adds some value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Re the 84x, it's not the only route serving the station, the 184 does also. Given how well used those busses are, it's unlikely in the short term that those services will be curtailed, if ever.

They could be famous last words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Superb service that I use twice daily. I would hate to see it removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DonerMews

Silly post. Aside from the fact that this is an invaluable service to many Charlesland residents, i know at least one of the management companies is contracted to provide this service and therefore is not in a position to discontinue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

For those who are interested, the bus costs 70k annually and is used by less than 10% of the population of charlesland.
    Oh! it's also used for free by neighbours from all over greystones who avail of the service paid for by charlesland residents.
    I say retain it....but make it a pay-as-you-use service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

For those who are interested, the bus costs 70k annually and is used by less than 10% of the population of charlesland.
    Oh! it's also used for free by neighbours from all over greystones who avail of the service paid for by charlesland residents.
    I say retain it....but make it a pay-as-you-use service

Do you have proof that it is used for free by these people? (Woman and Child time excluded as this has already been discussed and dealt with)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's also used for free by neighbours from all over greystones who avail of the service paid for by charlesland residents.

total exaggeration - why would people from all over greystones be bothered using the Charlesland shuttle?

the only real abuse i see is parents using it as a school bus, but as long as they're residents in charlesland i don't see it as a problem. Frustrating but not really a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

the only real abuse i see is parents using it as a school bus, but as long as they're residents in charlesland i don't see it as a problem. Frustrating but not really a problem.

How is that a frustrating if, like you say, they're residents? It's a commute just the same as any other, and some will be connecting with Dublin Bus or the Dart if they are in secondary school. If the kids are old enough to take a bus, then anything to reduce school-run traffic is is a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

loyatemu wrote: »
    total exaggeration - why would people from all over greystones be bothered using the Charlesland shuttle?
    Seen it happening as I've mentioned in other threads.

There's a perception that cars are safer in the estate than down at the park and ride. And a free bus to drop you right to the station? Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There's a perception that cars are safer in the estate than down at the park and ride.

maybe prove them wrong by slashing their tyres? :pac:

more seriously, I used the bus for 3 years, I never saw any evidence of widespread abuse (unless you count the odd superquinn\café employee using it to get to work).

Seen it happening as I've mentioned in other threads.

There's a perception that cars are safer in the estate than down at the park and ride. And a free bus to drop you right to the station? Result.
    How much does that really happen though?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

I have to say that it is a great service. I've taken it a few times "illegally", as in in I don't pay for the privilege regularly. I live in the vicinity and if it comes to it, i will take the bus. I usually drive but every once in the while i will take it. Especially on the way home.

I'd be happy to contribute, because lets get real, its the only reliable bus at a certain time. The 84 & 184 are a joke because they arent co-ordinated with the dart. how many times have you missed the scheduled buses by lazy bus drivers? They dont care.

As a non Charlesland development resident, i would still pay for the service. So is there a way that a scheme could be put in place? It cant be that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

why couldn't All Charlesland residents who want one be issued a card for use on the bus, everyone with a Charlesland address who applies, gets one. Not one house one card. And if you don't produce your card on the bus you pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement