Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove

Options
  • 17-01-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if a stove can be put in place of my open fireplace, I literally do not want to rip anything out I just want to buy a stove and get it fit using the existing chimney flue, is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

The short answer is, Yes. there are plenty of stoves that can fit into an open fireplace, a big open old style fireplace, or even a tiled or marble fireplace with a normal size grate, an inset stove just slides right in, and connects to the existing chimney, so long as the chimney is in fairly good condition, you would not need a chimney lining, no matter what some others might say.

If your fireplace has a back boiler to heat the water, you could get a boiler stove to do the same, as in heating the water cylinder and radiators, as the pipework would already be in place, it is just a matter of connecting up to the existing plumbing. You would need to pull out the old back boiler first. most good hardware shops would have a selection of stoves that would be right for your needs, a inset stove would be a good choice to fit a normal fireplace, so long as the fireplace does not have a wooden surround, as a stove needs a certain amount of clearance from any combustible material.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jeepsterboy

Apologies if I'm in the wrong place....

Very simple question. I have a 1930 2 bed house in the country and I'm thinking of adding an extra room (TV and snug, mainly). I want to put a wood burning stove in this room, but I'm not sure if I can do that given recent planning and/or regulation requirements.

I know that stoves are 'banned' in new properties, but this is an old one, so I'm hoping that I'm exempt.

If anyone can clarify that would be great. I'm not finding any info regarding this particular matter on the government and county council webpages.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brianmcIntyre

Just wondering what's the smallest flue liner I can use on a mulberry beckett stove multi fuel

Advertisement