Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad Refuses to be Tested for Coronavirus

Options
  • 18-03-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My dad keeps coughing but refuses to be tested for Coronavirus. He's stubborn, he's 62 but he's stuck in his ways and never changes his mind. Everytime we point out his coughing to him he says he's fine and comes up with an excuse (air went down the wrong way, just a tingle in the throat, etc). He's like this with multiple things, for example he regularly gets (and spreads) athletes foot, his shoes and socks will stink out the entire house, and he will scratch like mad at his flaky feet, but he'll be adamant if we point it out that he just has a small itch, or that it's nothing, and then accuse us (my sibling and I) of having it instead. He doesn't change his mind and is stuck in his ways. I have told him multiple times to get tested but he refused (it doesn't seem too bad at the minute but I'm concerned he's spreading it/it will get worse). He won't self isolate, he's just stubborn and anything I say doesn't make a difference. He says he doesn't care if he gets it either. I don't know what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi

not everyone with a cough can get tested. they are advised to call GP if their situation worsens. so he doesnt need to be tested as long as he remains in reasonable condition.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html

have a read there. you cannot mak other people behave responsibily. you can only do that for yourself. It may not be what you want to hear, but look after you, protect your family by behaving responsibly, and be careful around your dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There’s an old joke about a man who goes to the doctor complaining that he sees spots. The receptionist asks, “Have you ever seen a doctor?” And he replies, “No. Just the spots.”
    A lot men ignore their health. Nagging from family members is one of the reasons men report going to doctors.

You could phone the doctor yourself and put him on the phone... Or leave him be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Maybe you could explain the threat he poses to others by not getting tested. Its not just his own heath he could be putting in danger. It could be everyone in the house he where he is coughing. Then the families they go home to.

Perhaps if you try explaining that it's not for him its for the rest of the family he would be more willing to get tested to protect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Does he come in to contact with high risk people? If so contact the HSE and see what advice they can do. Depending on where you are there will be public drive through testing soon. If others have symptoms then home tests might come and everyone can do it. If you are all living together and he hasn’t self isolated then it is probable that all have it so anyone of you can get tested which will determine his result.

It is crazy that someone has symptoms and not self isolating. But if he isn’t put any high risk people at risk it isn’t as bad. He might be worried so sit down and explain the impact his actions can have on others might convince him. Good luck and stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

the Dail recently passed the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Bill 2020. You should tell your father to have a good read of Section 11 of that soon to be Act.

Section 11 gives the HSE the power to order the detention of a person who is or may be a Covid spread risk and refuses to voluntarily comply with the risk reducing measures. They will be detained by force if necessary.

Ask your father if he really wants to be on the news for being the first numbnuts to be given the Section 11 treatment.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2020/3/eng/ver_a/b03a20d.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

the Dail recently passed the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Bill 2020. You should tell your father to have a good read of Section 11 of that soon to be Act.

Section 11 gives the HSE the power to order the detention of a person who is or may be a Covid spread risk and refuses to voluntarily comply with the risk reducing measures. They will be detained by force if necessary.

Do you plan to arrest anyone with a bit of a cold?

OP you could call one of the helplines and get information but a lot more people in Ireland have cold than Corona at this time of the year. Also he would wait days for test results so self isolation is way more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

AFAIK the procedure is they only test if there was known exposure to an infected person or a person has to be hospitalised due to illness.

Most probably will be the case that they will not give a test anyway.

That's the procedure here in Germany as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

redcup342 wrote: »
    AFAIK the procedure is they only test if there was known exposure to an infected person or a person has to be hospitalised due to illness.

Most probably will be the case that they will not give a test anyway.

That's the procedure here in Germany as well.

The procedure has been updated here. Anyone with symptoms should contact their GP, regardless of their exposure. The GP then decides if the person needs to self-isolate and be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All, OP Here. Thanks for the replies! His cough has disappeared so I think we're ok (for now). He works with the public and isn't really self isolating, so fingers crossed I don't have to take on this advice in the near future :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

If I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else to stay where you feel safe if his behaviour is upsetting you that much. I assume that you are living under your father's roof. I can't believe that people have gotten to the stage of 'informing' on their close relatives. I'm getting that either that you have some form of health anxiety... my ex had Athlete's Foot and despite living with him for thirty years neither I nor the children contracted it from him, or perhaps isolation is screwing with your mental health and you need to find more to occupy yourself. Is he working outside the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

It's funny how anyone with a cough now is suspected of having it...when before it was just called having a cough or cold :)

Advertisement