Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwfix

Options
  • 07-03-2020 7:33pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are screwfix outlets open shops like woodies or more like argos?

Can I browse around the shop, or order from the counter or do I have to have pre ordered?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wearb wrote:
    Can I browse around the shop, or order from the counter or do I have to have pre ordered?

Haven't been yet but was told its basically just order from the counter. They don't stock everything from the website. Lots of things take up to three days to get in stock at a branch

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Haven't been yet but was told its basically just order from the counter. They don't stock everything from the website. Lots of things take up to three days to get in stock at a branch

Very like Argos. I actually really like how it works. Wondering is the plumbing stuff Irish sizes. It would be very remiss of them to set up in Ireland with metric sizes but wouldn’t actually surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

4 stores here now, like Argos if you collect and it's not right you can return for a refund on the spot.

https://www.screwfix.ie/jsp/tradeCounter/tradeCounterAllStoresPage.jsp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks folks

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

2018na wrote: »
    Very like Argos. I actually really like how it works. Wondering is the plumbing stuff Irish sizes. It would be very remiss of them to set up in Ireland with metric sizes but wouldn’t actually surprise me
    They have Irish and metric, and you can collect or they deliver - and you can order online (best for me) or go to counter.
    Also, the customer reviews of their products are very good and their forums are very useful ( for an amateur anyway).

Though IMHO madness that Ireland still clings to imperial, another case of our government picking bits of the EU, and imposing anti competitive practices on us all. I mean the UK went metric for plumbing in 1972....and we wonder about Brexit.

• Advertisement

gk5000 wrote: »
    They have Irish and metric, and you can collect or they deliver - and you can order online (best for me) or go to counter.
    Also, the customer reviews of their products are very good and their forums are very useful ( for an amateur anyway).

Though IMHO madness that Ireland still clings to imperial, another case of our government picking bits of the EU, and imposing anti competitive practices on us all. I mean the UK went metric for plumbing in 1972....and we wonder about Brexit.

I’m actually a carpenter by trade and imperial is actually way more suited to this trade. Doors and frames are almost always measured in inches. There is much less chance of a long measurement being wrong. Over the years you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I have seen things and major things at that 100mm wrong. Also the ordinary joe soap can’t measure because they try to measure in cm instead of mm because they learned this way in school. Just my opinion on it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't it just a name ? Irish fittings have had their metric size printed on for decades .. 15 mm 22 mm ,28mm..
    It's just referred to half ,3/4 and inch ...
    And to differentiate uk stuff is called metric ... It's just slightly different ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Isn't it just a name ? Irish fittings have had their metric size printed on for decades .. 15 mm 22 mm ,28mm..
    It's just referred to half ,3/4 and inch ...
    And to differentiate uk stuff is called metric ... It's just slightly different ...

No, they are different sizes which is why it’s a pain.

I’m actually a carpenter by trade and imperial is actually way more suited to this trade. Doors and frames are almost always measured in inches. There is much less chance of a long measurement being wrong. Over the years you wouldn’t believe the amount of times I have seen things and major things at that 100mm wrong. Also the ordinary joe soap can’t measure because they try to measure in cm instead of mm because they learned this way in school. Just my opinion on it anyway
    Yes maybe it suits to TALK inches etc in carpentery, but the wood is the same size irrespective, be it measured in inches or metric.

For plumbing, Ireland is 1/2 in. 3/4 which is close but NOT the same as metric 15mm & 22mm and needs adapters and causes much confusion. So UK may TALK half inch but the pipe will be 15mm (or maybe 15.2) whereas ours will by 14.7.

My old house has Imperial and metric copper, imperial and metric Hep and imperial pex.

By staying imperial Ireland protected a few jobs...now long gone, but imposed an extra 20% on cost of materials over metric fittings, and this applies to everybody in the country.

Yes maybe it suits to TALK inches etc in carpentery, but the wood is the same size irrespective, be it measured in inches or metric.

For plumbing, Ireland is 1/2 in. 3/4 which is close but NOT the same as metric 15mm & 22mm and needs adapters and causes much confusion. So UK may TALK half inch but the pipe will be 15mm (or maybe 15.2) whereas ours will by 14.7.

My old house has Imperial and metric copper, imperial and metric Hep and imperial pex.

By staying imperial Ireland protected a few jobs...now long gone, but imposed an extra 20% on cost of materials over metric fittings, and this applies to everybody in the country.

Measure any door in your house it will be an imperial measurement almost in 99.9 of cases. Did you ever hear anyone getting buried 1800 under. Imperial will be used for all our lifetimes imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I ordered a few radiators from them recently, had to have them delivered as not instock in the shop but fittings included were UK size. Rad make is kudox, but one of them went bang at 2.3bar when the system was being pressure tested.

No issue with return and replacement though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the whole thing is screwed up. look at plywood its 8 x 4 foot so 1220mm x 2440mm. plasterslabs are 8' (2440)x 1200, and concrete boards ae 1200x2400mm.
    you cannot build a stud wall and put ply or slab on one side and concrete board on the other without cutting them to suite.

Measure any door in your house it will be an imperial measurement almost in 99.9 of cases. Did you ever hear anyone getting buried 1800 under. Imperial will be used for all our lifetimes imo
    You can cut it to any length you like, but you can only buy it it in mm.
    So you make talk 2x1 but you'll only get 50 x 22 mm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Wondering is the plumbing stuff Irish sizes. It would be very remiss of them to set up in Ireland with metric sizes but wouldn’t actually surprise me

Can confirm the copper pipe is in metric, 15, 22 & 28mm. Sucks!! Now to try return in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

They carry both metric and imperial sizes here in ireland, just double check before ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

moose3844 wrote: »
    They carry both metric and imperial sizes here in ireland, just double check before ordering

Only lately, didn't at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Trying to buy stuff off their website but it’s saying their deliveries are full for the day so can’t order - it’s greyed out.

Is it a matter of waiting till midnight and then ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Trying to buy stuff off their website but it’s saying their deliveries are full for the day so can’t order - it’s greyed out.

Is it a matter of waiting till midnight and then ordering?

You have to wait until 8am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Has anyone tried to order off their website?

When trying to place items in the basket the site redirects to store locator. Seems like it's not possible to order for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I gave up on Screwfix.ie. Their prices have jumped since the Irish stores opened. There is a huge difference in the price of a lot of goods on the UK site.

• Advertisement

jim salter wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to order off their website?

When trying to place items in the basket the site redirects to store locator. Seems like it's not possible to order for delivery?

it does that when there's no stock of the item in your local store. They seem to be short on a lot of things since lockdown but I've managed to get a few bits i was stuck for by checking daily and items have popped up

Thanks for the rely's.

I called them and apparently you have to select the store even if you are having it delivered.

The rep said the site was brand new and it functions differently to the old site and my account (and numerous other account) had been deleted when the new site went live.

What a shambles

Now trying to order door handles (13 pairs) and there are none in Ireland.

4 pages of door handles and none available - unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Kealyboy

jim salter wrote: »
    Now trying to order door handles (13 pairs) and there are none in Ireland.

4 pages of door handles and none available - unbelievable

There issues at the moment with the availability of item due to Covid-19. Think its going to be sorted out soon. So I was told anyway when I went into my local branch.

Kealyboy wrote: »
    There issues at the moment with the availability of item due to Covid-19. Think its going to be sorted out soon. So I was told anyway when I went into my local branch.

It is understandable that there are some shortages but 4 pages of chrome door handles and not more than 2 pairs of any style in any store in Ireland? A bit much

If there's something your really want check the UK site for stock and use parcel wizard/motel for delivery. It can work out cheaper than buying from the store here too.

Advertisement