Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a multitool to vibrate and loosen sludge in a radiator

• 17-03-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I know you can use an SDS drill in vibrate mode to loosen the sludge from the bottom of rads.

Has anyone tried it with a multitool and if so, how did it work?

I will use something over the multitool head to protect the rad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 francyf

Get a new radiator..
    Much better results

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

francyf wrote: »
    Get a new radiator..
    Much better results

May as well get a new house while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I know you can use an SDS drill in vibrate mode to loosen the sludge from the bottom of rads.

Has anyone tried it with a multitool and if so, how did it work?

I will use something over the multitool head to protect the rad.

It will work but having the sludge move around the pipes and it could damage the pump and boiler. You would want to get it cleaned out professionally. Depending on how many rads and the size of your tank it could cost anywhere up to €700 but its better than dislodging the sludge and having it damage the boiler/tank and pump.
    If it's a consistent problem you could fit a magna clean to the system.
    Id recommend getting it professionally cleaned.out first and putting in the magnalcean to keep on top of the sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

CosmicFool wrote: »
    It will work but having the sludge move around the pipes and it could damage the pump and boiler.

It will be done with the multitool to vibrate the rads and once that is done, I'll be draining the system and flushing it out and putting inhibitor in the system.

So a multitool will have the same results as the sds drill? Have you used that before?

We have 11 rads in total and the boiler is oil cooker and stove so it's a back boiler.

Advertisement