Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patriots Buy Irish!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

whiterebel wrote: »
    It’s nothing to do with the way they collect money, although it would make it easier for the customer and themselves. They would have to increase the charge to cover online payment, though. They have to find an individual tariff code for each distinct type of item being imported. This gives the correct duty type and amount, and whether it is actually allowed to be imported into the EU. Then sit down and do the entry online - software for this was €40,000 or so some time ago. Commercial rates for companies for customs clearance start at about €50 for a single line entry, same thing you get for €10.00. In my youth I did customs clearance for car parts, the bill for it ran into hundreds, because each individual part has a tariff code....exhausts, mirrors, glass, switchgear, seats. It used to take a full day sometimes to do them. €10 or €12.50 with the couriers is unbelievably cheap.

That may explain why Irish online selling is so poor for international buyers, but not domestic ones. I was trying to buy some small light stationary, packet envelope size. Irish seller, €8 delivery, UK delivery, standard international postage.

For many Irish retailers, online is a complete afterthought and badly executed. So in my example above the company has lazily put blanket delivery rates in to make sure they are covered, rather than assessing items for more realistic delivery costs.

Advertisement