Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current travel restrictions

Options
  • 04-09-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Are the restrictions on Irish travellers visiting the US still in place? I was due to travel to a wedding in Jamaica in December and was due to lay over in Newark for one night. Feeling it will be unlikely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

tolow wrote: »
    Are the restrictions on Irish travellers visiting the US still in place? I was due to travel to a wedding in Jamaica in December and was due to lay over in Newark for one night. Feeling it will be unlikely.

Yes the restrictions are still in place and unlikely to be lifted by December imo. Looks like even transiting is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Most unlikely they'll start issuing ESTA's before then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you will need to be a legal usa resident to fly into usa
    i would not go to any wedding in USA a wedding had 250 guests 70 got covid
    I would alsonavoid Jamaica for the crime most people stay at walled resorts with armed guards
    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Hard to see travel to America opening up in 2021 the way things are with the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Hard to see travel to America opening up in 2021 the way things are with the virus

If Biden wins the election I can imagine the European travel ban will be revoked, or at least more exceptions will be carved out for people who live in the US but are not citizens or permanent residents. I'm in the US on a H-1B visa, have lived here for 7 years, and right now can't easily travel to Ireland and back because of the ban. The ban is still in place and as strict only because the Trump administration is being vindictive about the ban the EU made on the US.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

If Biden wins the election I can imagine the European travel ban will be revoked, or at least more exceptions will be carved out for people who live in the US but are not citizens or permanent residents. I'm in the US on a H-1B visa, have lived here for 7 years, and right now can't easily travel to Ireland and back because of the ban. The ban is still in place and as strict only because the Trump administration is being vindictive about the ban the EU made on the US.
    the ban will not be lifted if Biden gets elected
    he will follow cdc guidelines
    both Europe and America have increasing covid cases

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/europe/europe-second-wave-coronavirus-intl/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

bobbyy gee wrote: »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/europe/europe-second-wave-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Why isn't the US following "CDC guidelines" for Mexico and Colombia, which had or have worse case numbers than Europe? The travel ban is completely political.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

bobbyy gee wrote: »

There's no reason why people who are here on visas shouldn't be allowed to re-enter the same as permanent residents and citizens. I'm in the same situation as the above poster, we live here legally, for 7 years too, on O1/O3 visas but haven't been able to travel home or leave the country at all and won't be able to for the forseeable future. My husband wasn't even able to attend his own mother's funeral in the UK. This could be relaxed under Biden as trump is clearly using the situation to essentially put a ban on immigration.

Most of the US doesn't have rising cases btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Direct flight form the UK might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Direct flight form the UK might be a better option.

UK is also banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

UK is also banned.

Direct flight to Jamaica from Gatwick to Montego Bay stay away from the US. Flights are cheap €440 return on skyscanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

new york in february looks unlikely so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

at this stage i would say that its not looking good. in fact i would say 2021 is not looking good based on 2020
    akelly02 wrote: »
    new york in february looks unlikely so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Forgot about this thread only seeing replies now.

What is the situation at the minute regarding flights? If you aren't allowed enter the US are you entitled to any refund from the airline? I'm guessing unlikely!! But here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not unless the airline cancels the flight.

Advertisement