Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF??!!!? - The 'What The F*ck' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Pg5Qk2U.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

88039.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jHIVjxH.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CZMRBwpUEAI-qZ2.jpg

MOD : Moved from YLYL

and link added: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZMRBwpUEAI-qZ2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

[mod]more WTF than cool, not sure where else it fits![/mod]
    Edit: yes I wasn't sure where to put it. It's a desperate photo and damning of lost democracy. I found it particularly striking.

In the 1933 German federal election, six days after the Reichstag fire which underpinned the Nazi's anti-communist narrative, and the general climate of fear, the Nazis won 44% of the vote. The next multiparty election was in 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

auspicious wrote: »
    [mod]more WTF than cool, not sure where else it fits![/mod]
    Edit: yes I wasn't sure where to put it. It's a desperate photo and damning of lost democracy. I found it particularly striking.

In the 1933 German federal election, six days after the Reichstag fire which underpinned the Nazi's anti-communist narrative, and the general climate of fear, the Nazis won 44% of the vote. The next multiparty election was in 1990.

The next elections were in 1949 in West Germany and 1950 in East Germany. The unified elections in 1990 did not include all of Germany's borders in 1933, so the 1949 elections were the next ones.

I think the reference was to "free" elections, in the former East Germany the 1950 elections were largely a staged event as only one party was allowed, the areas that went to Poland probably didn't have elections until around 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sorry to be such a pedant ..but there were state elections in the Soviet occupied zone (the future GDR) that were indeed multi-party, free and democratic ...in 1946

The SED (a forced union of social democrats and communists) won that election, but not with a total majority.

530827.JPG

Their victory however was later used as the "reason" that one party was basically plenty enough :D

I meant all-German. Unoccupied, free. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tony EH wrote: »
    Jesus, that's disturbing. Looks like a new video from the Aphex Twin.

I was just about to say Bernie is straight from windowlicker!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 192 ✭✭Deshawn

jHIVjxH.jpeg

Completely inaccurate and misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I meant all-German. Unoccupied, free. :)

Using that definition Ireland has never had a free election

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Deshawn wrote: »
    Completely inaccurate and misleading.
    I van see the headline now.

Twitter Joker in shock accuracy scandal
    auspicious wrote:
    I meant all-German. Unoccupied, free.

It was occupied until 1990. So why mention multi-party at all?
    As mentioned, above there were multiple multi-party elections from 1933-1990

Mellor wrote: »
    I van see the headline now.

Twitter Joker in shock accuracy scandal

It was occupied until 1990. So why mention multi-party at all?
    As mentioned, above there were multiple multi-party elections from 1933-1990

The SED controlled elections up until 1990 so in my mind I recognise that as not being quintessentially multi-party.
    Technically multi-party elections were held. But not really imo.
    Rather than just write multi-party, I agree I should have been clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The SED controlled elections up until 1990 so in my mind I recognise that as not being quintessentially multi-party.
    Technically multi-party elections were held. But not really imo.
    The SED ran a one party state from 1949-1990. I’m not suggesting they “technically” ran multi-party elections. They didn’t.
    The election mentioned above was in 1946, before the one party state was form. It was multi-party, and was how SED was formed - when two parties merged.

Of course, that’s only East Germany. The elections in West Germany were multi-party. And they claim to be the continuation of Germany while East was a soviet annex.
    I’ve never thought about it, but I’d guess about half the elections in “Germany” from 1933-1990 were single party, and half multi party.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Politics Forum ———>>>>

Piehead wrote: »
    Politics Forum ———>>>>
    Yeah! lets get back to WTF!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115080905&postcount=2554

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wally79 wrote: »
    Using that definition Ireland has never had a free election

Why when did the Nazis invade Ireland? :pac:

Achtung! Achtung! Achtung!
    OK time to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jawohl mein Fuhe....

Oh sorry.

• Advertisement

4k7jp4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've been doing doggie style so, so incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

Actually, it was the TV show presenters who wanted their guests to dress up for a Halloween special.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Actually, it was the TV show presenters who wanted their guests to dress up for a Halloween special.

i was aware of the reasoning of it, doesnt take away from the wtf'iness of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    i was aware of the reasoning of it, doesnt take away from the wtf'iness of it

True, they should have had the common sense to do the announcement separately.

oopsIMG]

^^^^^ Snap. See couple of posts above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

597786.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I like the way he held it up with his hand for a few seconds.

Advertisement