Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incremental Credit .

Options
  • 24-10-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I have recently qualified as a teacher . I’m now on a RPT contract . I start at the bottom of pay scale .

However ...

Prior to getting my qualifications I worked for 13 years as casual unqualified substitute, SNA and for a period classroom assistant in UK.

I believe that incremental credit won’t be applied to my situation but it is worth exhausting all avenues open to me . Alas , perhaps there are no such avenues .

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction ?

Yours sincerely,

Pythonfoot

�� ��

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know from people in work you just really have to state your case. Some wrote very convincing arguments how working in a bank etc. helped them as a teacher. The main cut off point seems to be if you were qualified for whatever job you did. One person did 2 years full time teaching but was unqualified so got nothing. Another worked in a bank, is qualified in business, so was able to argue that she was qualified for her bank job and it helps her as a business teacher. If you're good at arguing the case you could have some luck with the classroom assistant / SNA work. It's a long shot but worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A friend of mine applied for incremental credit for a couple of years worked as an SNA, while qualified as a teacher and wasn't successful. My reading of it is, if you were doing a job that does not require a degree that could be used for a teaching qualification then the years you want to get incremental credit for don't count. Also if you were doing a job that requires a degree that can be used in teaching then you might have a case.

Consider two people who both have Chemistry degrees. One spends 5 years stacking shelves in the local supermarket and one spends 5 years working in a laboratory in a pharmaceutical company. Both then go and do the dip and apply for incremental credit. The former did a job that didn't require any chemistry but the latter did.

I would say in your case that if it was to be given for working as an SNA, which requires a QQI Level 5, then you would be opening the floodgates to anyone who had ever worked at anything for incremental credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

SNA does not require a qualification up until now. Many teachers have been awarded incremental credit for working as an SNA, I know several of my friends were. I don't know of anyone awarded credit for unqualified teaching work though.

Advertisement