Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Current account to basic account

Options
  • 22-10-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have an AIB current account. Possible to cancel my current account and switch to a basic account? AIB introducing maintenance charges for current accounts from next month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Look at what you're using your current account for at the moment, then figure out (by checking the AIB website) if you will have those facilites if you switch to a savings account. Because that's the type of account I assume you mean by 'basic'. You will definitely lose some functionality if you choose to avoid paying fees.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I opened a kbc account for free banking (if 2k per month goes in) to replace my aib current account. Keep your savings in the basic AIB account incase you need to withdraw a large sum of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

whizkid9 wrote: »
    I have an AIB current account. Possible to cancel my current account and switch to a basic account?

Probably no. Generally Basic Accounts are reserved for those who do not have a bank account with any Irish bank.

KBC, N26, EBS, Revolut, Monese, and KBC will give you free euro banking if you comply with terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The basic account is to comply with an EU directive. Banks have to offer you a current account if you dont have an account with another bank in that country.

As soon as a certain amount of cash is deposited into a basic account they upgrade you.
    3.2 We will convert your Account to another type of personal
    current account to which additional fees and charges may
    apply in the following circumstances:
    a) where on any annual anniversary of the date of
    opening of your Account the total yearly value of
    payments to your Account in the previous year exceeds
    the National Minimum Wage Threshold;

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The basic account is to comply with an EU directive. Banks have to offer you a current account if you dont have an account with another bank in that country.

As soon as a certain amount of cash is deposited into a basic account they upgrade you.

My money is in a 7 day notice account. If they decide to change it I'l move it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭maneno

whizkid9 wrote: »
    I have an AIB current account. Possible to cancel my current account and switch to a basic account? AIB introducing maintenance charges for current accounts from next month

not possible unfortunately as you already have an account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Mr.S wrote: »
    Credit Unions are probably the best option if you really want "free" banking.

The credit union currentaccount.ie product is not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I thing i find utterly ridiculous re:Banks

They have my money, they charge me to keep it safe...But i can't go in and withdraw it all without forewarning them...I was looking to withdraw 5 grand in cash from BOI a few months back...By christ did they make it difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I thing i find utterly ridiculous re:Banks

They have my money, they charge me to keep it safe...But i can't go in and withdraw it all without forewarning them...I was looking to withdraw 5 grand in cash from BOI a few months back...By christ did they make it difficult

Good to hear in this era of identity fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Good to hear in this era of identity fraud

Well my passport & driving license were shown...in fact the same passport that they have on file for reference...and i still look the same as in the picture(well maybe plus a few lbs)

Advertisement