Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alcohol causes diarrhea

Options
  • 23-10-2020 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I lately find drinking a couple of drinks on empty stomach causes diarrhea? has anyone got that. I don't have IBS crohns etc and never had problem with diarrhea. I can see why alcohol would cause this, i googled, but never did for me

I am not looking for medical advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I lately find drinking a couple of drinks on empty stomach causes diarrhea? has anyone got that. I don't have IBS crohns etc and never had problem with diarrhea. I can see why alcohol would cause this, i googled, but never did for me

This might be helpfull
    healthline

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Maybe don't drink on an empty stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Maybe don't drink on an empty stomach
    I appreciate that but it never bothered me before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

Define “couple” in litres and what are you drinking.

Age may be part of this. I have less tolerance for alcohol as I get older. My head is fine the next day but my stomach can’t take much punishment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Getting older along with many other things that change over time.. What i could drink at twenty and go to work safe and well the following day would have me stuck to the bed for two days with the runs among other things..

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    Define “couple” in litres and what are you drinking.

Age may be part of this. I have less tolerance for alcohol as I get older. My head is fine the next day but my stomach can’t take much punishment.

Well :o last night was 4 cans of Heineken on an empty stomach:o because i was very stressed. The last time a fortnight ago was one can cider on an empty stomach because i could not sleep.It was 2 AM. I didn't want the drink but have very bad insomnia sometimes and i did not have anything else

Thanks for the feedbac everyone. I di not realise alcohol can speed the peristalsis

https://www.healthline.com/health/alcohol-and-constipation#constipation
    Peristalsis

Alcohol can affect peristalsis or intestinal movement in different ways. Drinks that have an alcohol content greater than 15 percentTrusted Source have an inhibitory effect on peristalsis. This means that alcohol slows down gastrointestinal motility, which can lead to constipation.
    Conversely, beverages with lower alcohol contents can increase gastric emptying rates. Examples include wine and beer. Chronic alcohol consumption also causes increased peristalsis.

What content would Heineken have? I see 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Hi,

I think you should look at your stress as this can cause both diarrhoea and insomnia, alcohol is just adding to it.

DM

drunk_monk wrote: »
    Hi,

I think you should look at your stress as this can cause both diarrhoea and insomnia, alcohol is just adding to it.

DM
    I don't know what i can do about it. I won't get diazepam which helped me. Any of the relaxation mindful stuff does nothing for me

What drink would have 15% alcohol, curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get some exercise. Drink some warm milk (maybe with cereal) before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What drink would have 15% alcohol, curious

Strong red wines.
    Vermouth.
    Sherry.
    Port.
    Liqueurs eg Baileys
    Strong cocktails.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Strong red wines.
    Vermouth.
    Sherry.
    Port.
    Liqueurs eg Baileys
    Strong cocktails.
    OK I did not realise any drink was 15% except that Spanish one one. I don't drink much..usually:o

I didn't recognise stress at first even though I was having problems sleeping. I started drinking more to sleep which also led to bowel problems. In the end drinking got on top of me and I was in a whole heap of trouble.

Just be careful.

DM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think i'd be looking at what is causing the stress tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Anything else in your diet that's new lately that might be causing it?

rtron wrote: »
    Anything else in your diet that's new lately that might be causing it?
    no. i do have stomach problems/pain with acid. that and the stress is why i hadn't eaten. Also i take losec but i had missed a few days because i forget it when the acid stops

I didn't recognise stress at first even though I was having problems sleeping. I started drinking more to sleep which also led to bowel problems. In the end drinking got on top of me and I was in a whole heap of trouble.

Just be careful.

DM
    what did you do re stress. some things cannot be changed

I've been learning about what stress is and how to manage it. The HSE run free online courses and Udemy have a lot of free course on Stress.
    I know you mentioned you don't like relaxation stuff but it is really important to get some "me" time as well.

I've been learning about what stress is and how to manage it. The HSE run free online courses and Udemy have a lot of free course on Stress.
    I know you mentioned you don't like relaxation stuff but it is really important to get some "me" time as well.
    me time does not change things

• Advertisement

How you react to stress can be changed somewhat but it's a bit of work, chat with your gp perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,168 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i would presume you are eating on an empty stomach. not really that, but more so its only there's no fibre and therefore it goes straight through the system!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Youre getting old mate

How you react to stress can be changed somewhat but it's a bit of work, chat with your gp perhaps?
    i don't believe in any of those techniques you get when referred to mental health. They do not change anything and services are a joke

I took some lopereamide, i will be ok not drinking again or a while and not without eating. I was kinda worried in case it was covid too but it only happens with alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Bit of a gross topic but I would suggest that over time your body is less able to deal with it.

I never used to get green poo but now I do, especially with red wine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Offs lay off the vino, green poo

Thread seems to have served it's purpose i'm closing it now before we go further down the bowl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement