Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on store to replace Screen on Xiaomi Redmi 5

Options
  • 12-10-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My wife's phone screen has been acting up the last few months and its getting progressively worse. Odd issues with the screen reaching touch, either not understanding that its being touched or randomly lots being pressed on the screen when she is trying to type.

The model is Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus 4G 64GB Dual UK

We have tried a few things, removed the screen protector, reset the software and tested the touchscreen sensors and they all seem to be find but as it is sporadic its hard to nail down.

I've tried a few stores and I am having serious issues getting someone to replace the screen, its most likely the controller that is banjaxed but no one seems to be willing or able to and I really don't want to bring it somewhere dodgy as its a good phone

Any advice on where I could get it fixed? Anywhere in Wicklow or Dublin will be fine. (I've to travel for work and family so I am out and about already)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It could be as simple as pressure on the ribbon going through the middle housing or contaminate on the connector. Disassembly, clean and reassembly may solve but no guarantee.

If not the digitizer is on top of the LCD and its an all in one unit on this phone so you have to replace both. The problem there is the screen the battery has to be removed first, and can be damaged in the process as its stuck down. Once its damaged its gone.

Either way I'm not sure its actually economically worth doing. It would be better to put the €100 towards a newer phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Digitizer, that's the word I was looking for.

Year, I'm fairly certain its the digitizer. The one guy that is willing to do the job if I get the parts talked about the screen being stuck down and possible to brake or keep popping back up if not stuck down properly or if the glue was not good.

Problem is that we are kind of tight cash wise, Covid and all that, so a new phone is not on the cards at the moment

Any other advice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Digitizer, that's the word I was looking for.

Year, I'm fairly certain its the digitizer. The one guy that is willing to do the job if I get the parts talked about the screen being stuck down and possible to brake or keep popping back up if not stuck down properly or if the glue was not good.

Problem is that we are kind of tight cash wise, Covid and all that, so a new phone is not on the cards at the moment

Any other advice?

Cheapest option is to get a screen yourself €30, and see if someone will fit it for you.

If the battery and screen wasn't glued the way it was, you could just open and clean and see does that work. As I already mentioned though, it comes with risks. To do this could damage the battery or screen or both = no phone.

A new phone from your current network could be €100 or less with no hassle. Other options for less are used or refurbs.

Advertisement