Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeri Ryan was on a Voyager podcast, and mentioned that Season 2 filming was meant to start in June, but had been pushed back for obvious reasons. No hard date from her perspective, with the presumption that shooting won't now start 'til Autumn at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t agree. I haven’t seen any marketing of Picard based on diversity, all the trailers were focused on Picard. The characters just happen to be diverse and the political messaging was a little heavy handed at times, but that’s nothing new for Trek.

The actual problem I see is that their is an anti PC online sentiment at high alert for what they see as “PC gone mad” which has evolved into the more subtle “Anti wokeness”.

There are legitimate criticisms of both Discovery and Picard, but the fact that the casts are diverse or the gender/colour/name of the main character is “woke” should never be one of them.

The writing on both series wasn’t good enough. I couldn’t care less if the main character was a purple unicorn.

I'd like to see a pure unicorn! I agree the story had many holes in it. Many ghosts in the machine. I was delighted to see so many of the old gang but I'm not sure I'd bother with season 2. I generally watch most trek series. The only one I skipped was large parts of Enterprise

Nody wrote: »
    Don't proscribe malice what simple incompetence can explain. They don't hate Star Trek but they simply did not give a damn if it was Star Trek, Star Wars or Barbie the magical kingdom; all they wanted was to show how woke they can be with female empowerment and males are stupid. It's an exact continuation on the likes of Harley Quinn whatever it's called these days, remade Ghost buster movie etc. and it's built on the same exact false premise; take a big name, make it all women and show how equal you are as a director/writer. The problem is it does not matter if the cast is male or female if the writing is **** and all it does it alienate the potential audience who'd see it and cast a general bad name on the series, the ideals and the director in general.

Then we get the bitch party afterwards about how more people should have seen it but males hated it (even in cases such as Quinn it turned out more male than female saw it at the cinema) and everyone who disagrees are misogynist pigs etc. The simple fact is if it's a ****ty movie/series it's a ****ty movie/series; the fact they made it all about female empowerment in a way a 5 year old would does not change the basic movie in and of itself and suddenly make it good. You can tell a good story with female empowerment, black empowerment or any empowerment story you wish to tell; but if you can't tell a story in the universe and lore that exist/you created in the first place no matter what message and empowerment you wish to provide it will fall flat. And that's the part that's been flying over the makers and their ilks heads for years now and create the classic go woke, go broke meme. Tell a good story first; worry about the cast gender or sexual orientation later but they reversed that and said if we get females it will be female empowerment and show the world without thinking on "Well who are we actually making this show for? Who's going to see it and are we telling a good consistent story here?". Hence back to the original answer; incompetence rather than hate for the franchise.

I didn't think the problem was too many females . It's the whole Data element and the sudden appearance of his human brother that didn't work for me.l also thought the non appearance of Beverly crusher was a big loss. In the novels she was married to Picard . Lastly Stewart is past it and doesn't have the bon vivant that say shatner still has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

agree, it was not the the fact she was a woman, or black, or had a mans name or whatever, it was because the show sucked due to that character hogging all the air time and presented as if she was above everyone else, everything had to revolve around her.

It was its her show and everyone else was just there to make up the numbers, and if you complain you are sexist or racist, or not a true lover of trek or other such nonsense.

I'm going through that review . It's amusing by itself.
    Just remind the synths destruction of Mars was that caused by the romulans?
    I agree with the plot holes this guy postulates. Sci fi is renowned for bizzare plots though but perhaps the Picard series went too far?
    Complicated plots seem to be all the rage these days.
    God I long for episodic television..seems like comedy is one of the few areas untouched by this trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm going through that review . It's amusing by itself.
    Just remind the synths destruction of Mars was that caused by the romulans?
    I agree with the plot holes this guy postulates. Sci fi is renowned for bizzare plots though but perhaps the Picard series went too far?
    Complicated plots seem to be all the rage these days.
    God I long for episodic television..seems like comedy is one of the few areas untouched by this trend.

Me too. I don't think most people that have worked a long hard day want to watch something all the time where they have to start concentrating and remember what is going on this episode for the next one and thinking of what happened in the last episode.
    I would say there is plenty of people who just want to come home turn on the T.V watch a good Sci-Fi and not have to worry about what I said above. Thats the reason these never ending soups are so popular.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The plot was too convuluted and full of holes. It was as the reviewer said a 10 hour movie. But I would still not write it off as a diaster. It would have been better if they had gone for three episodes story arcs .
    Star trek was ahead of it's time in the 1960s.It was all somewhat ahead of it's time in the 1980s in showing quality acting from Stewart which was rare on tv and for rebooting a franchise.
    However now it seems hell bent on slavishly following massive story arcs and dark themes that kids can't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm just after finishing binging this. I was 12ish when I started watching TNG in the mid 90s or thereabouts. I loved it, my favourite Star Trek by miles. Just loved everything about it, still do. Great memories.

Anyway, with that I was looking forward to this, and for me, it was brilliant. I was stuck to it. The last 2 episodes were just amazing.
    Well, until that point
    in the last episode.
    Thought they should have left it at the data scene, should have walked through the light, then a big Federation funeral. It's obvious it was a cash in for a second series and took away from it for me. If there isn't going to be a second season, I will have it ending there in my mind.

Anyway, I read a few pages, and i have to say, until ye pointed out some things, I really didn't get a female empowerment vibe off it. I don't look too much into these things in general. It's futuristic, so I'm quite forgiving in what can/can't happen, as long as it entertains me. Which this did.
    I was managing to fairly hold it together during the death, and subsequent aftermath, until that fecker Elnor. He broke me with his big blubber! So i felt quite foolish afterwards for falling for it.

Ms

It's a pity that they did not future Simon Tarses in this. He would have made the perfect rebel pilot maybe with a hatred for Federation admirals after one of them ruined his whole career or maybe he was pardoned by another maybe even by Picard or a court and became a great captain. They could still have him in season two. What does anyone else here think?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

AMKC wrote: »
    It's a pity that they did not future Simon Tarses in this. He would have made the perfect rebel pilot maybe with a hatred for Federation admirals after one of them ruined his whole career or maybe he was pardoned by another maybe even by Picard or a court and became a great captain. They could still have him in season two. What does anyone else here think?

That was an interesting omission. He would have been a good further exploration of life as a semi-Romulan in the Federation. Another hard-hitting TNG episode too, with a very solid moral message that really applies to these days.

Tarses was an NCO, like O'Brien, so he'd probably have to go to the Academy again to enter the officer program to become Captain. Otherwise his highest possible rank in Starfleet would be Master Chief Petty Officer. I think I also read once that there was a further Admiral-like NCO rank called "Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet", which I imagined to be some kind of higher-up role at Starfleet Command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Starfleet as an almost pure meritocracy would definitely have an enlisted commissioning program.
    Rawr wrote: »
    I think I also read once that there was a further Admiral-like NCO rank called "Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet", which I imagined to be some kind of higher-up role at Starfleet Command.
    If it's like the real world equivalent it's a person to represent the enlisted personnels' concerns or well being in at the highest level of Starfleet Command decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just getting to watch it now.

Isa Briones is absolutely stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek Picard Season 2 Starts Filming In January Confirms Star
    Actor Evan Evagora, who plays the character Elnor on Star Trek: Picard, has confirmed the show will begin filming season 2 in January 2021.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy shít. They're only going to do it. We all knew it was coming I suppose, especially after that Lower Decks cameo.

I guess then this is heading for a completely different storyline, though presumably we'll see a return of Picard's motley crew from season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Oh goodie, my 2018 wish is coming true:-
    GM228 wrote: »
    Great news, whilst so many plots and cameos are an option the one cameo I would really like to see is John de Lancie, for me that would be the icing on the cake, even in his old age Picard being tormented by Q.....

Didn't Q once say he never got tired of playing games.

https://twitter.com/johndelancie/status/1379154132532142090?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

A great present for First Contact Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Does my old look make you feel better my really old friend Jean-Luc or something like that so that can show why Q/John de Lancie aged as well.

I'm calling it now, Q gives Picard the opportunity to save Jack Crusher.

After his slight senility made hom think Data was his best friend he realised most of his regret was still centred around Jack his actual last best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Oh. I enjoyed that, what a great surprise! Especially since I just dropped in to give out about the Disco trailer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

GM228 wrote: »

Is it just me, or did John de Lancie's voice automatically come to mind while reading that tweet?

Evade wrote: »
    I'm calling it now, Q gives Picard the opportunity to save Jack Crusher.

After his slight senility made hom think Data was his best friend he realised most of his regret was still centred around Jack his actual last best friend.

The Stargazer in the trailer feels like a potential clue. Potentially. In which case, if there's time travel will they have another young Picard (what's Tom hardy up to these days?) or just have Stewart walking around Quantum Leap style.

pixelburp wrote: »
    if there's time travel will they have another young Picard (what's Tom hardy up to these days?) or just have Stewart walking around Quantum Leap style.

I will not accept anything else but Tapestry style Picard walking around!

Hopefully they don't do what the Irishman did. DeNiro's face was fine but he, and Stewart, are at that age where the move like they're old.

Ms

Oh this is great. I just hope they do not ruin Q the way they ruined Picard or Data is season 1.

I can see it now Q comes back and says I knew it you humans made a mess of it I should have just ended it back then for you all.
    But no I gave you a second chance because you said the human race was worth it now look at you not even human anymore. You are on android like your android Data. Oh by the way where is Micro Brain and Golden face anyway?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Seeing as Guinan is supposed to be coming back in this season, and we now know that Q is going to be present, the one thing I really hope they don't do is explain the history between Guinan and Q. I like that their antagonism is unexplained, or that we have no idea why Guinans wavy hands worry Q. Some things are best left alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Seeing as Guinan is supposed to be coming back in this season, and we now know that Q is going to be present, the one thing I really hope they don't do is explain the history between Guinan and Q. I like that their antagonism is unexplained, or that we have no idea why Guinans wavy hands worry Q. Some things are best left alone!

Rumours are that Guinan and Q are happily married in the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Oh. I enjoyed that, what a great surprise! Especially since I just dropped in to give out about the Disco trailer!

Best not to even mention disovery anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Best not to even mention disovery anymore.

Maybe Q can fix that.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Advertisement