Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis Courts at Supervalu Blanchardstown

Options
  • 18-05-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Anyone know if these are going to be opened up again any time soon?

Was down that way this evening but no nets in place and still have the "Closed due to Covid-19" signs up.

EDIT: Mind you, they could do with a good clean down first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The courts in Riverwood, Carpenterstown are also still closed - frustrating because tennis is a sport that lends itself to social distancing perfectly (most people will play singles).

I think that Dublin City Council are not opening their courts because they felt that they couldn't guarantee social distancing. It's a strange statement because it implies that they guarantee social distancing in all their other properties e.g. parks, but, of course, they don't.

I would not be surprised if Fingal County Council take a similar lame stance.

Having had that rant, ring SuperValu for their input because I believe that they are involved with their maintenance in some form.

I stand corrected - Fingal County Council opened the courts at Riverwood today!! Woo hoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Still no movement on the ones at Supervalu. The Supervalu folks don't control them but I didnt quite catch who they said did - wasn't the council anyway.

Sitting outside Riverwood ones at the moment hoping one will free up for a bit.

Try the courts at Sycamore Avenue as they might be quieter. There's a gap in the fencing if they aren't unlocked.

(If they are open please reply here and I'll report that to Google Maps).

Sycamore courts definitely open - was nice and quiet this afternoon. Need a cleanup though - lots of rubbish around the edges and some broken glass too. Made a start on cleaning up and will probably bring a refuse bag next time I'm down there and do some more.

Both Sycamore and Riverwood had queues yesterday evening so the weather is bringing out the rackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭natali1982

My husband rang Supervalu and apparently they’ll open at the end of June. Miss these courts.

Does anyone know what are the rules of using FCC public courts which are managed by clubs, like Malahide or Swords. Do you have to be member to play there?

natali1982 wrote: »
    My husband rang Supervalu and apparently they’ll open at the end of June. Miss these courts.

Does anyone know what are the rules of using FCC public courts which are managed by clubs, like Malahide or Swords. Do you have to be member to play there?

Do you mean the courts at the castle in Malahide? They're pay as you go OR annual membership.

http://www.sportsandleisurehub.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Any update on the courts at SuperValu went to Riverwood and carpenterstown and they were full with a long queue

Was just down at Supervalu and looks like the nets have reappeared, but whoever put them back obviously doesn't have much experience at setting up a tennis court - some posts not inserted properly and nets not tensioned for play so not much better than not having nets at all. :-(

Codpeas wrote: »
    ... and nets not tensioned for play ...
    You may be able to fix this with an adjustable wrench. That's how I used to fix the nets in the Riverwood courts.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    You may be able to fix this with an adjustable wrench. That's how I used to fix the nets in the Riverwood courts.

Yeah, popped down this morning to do just that but the gates into the courts were padlocked so no go. They still have the "courts closed due to covid" signs up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Codpeas wrote: »
    Yeah, popped down this morning to do just that but the gates into the courts were padlocked so no go. They still have the "courts closed due to covid" signs up too.

Are these courts still closed does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

onform wrote: »
    Are these courts still closed does anyone know?

Drove By them the other day and still no nets up

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Did anyone ever find out who operates the courts in blanch village back of SuperValu, went into SuperValu and they have no idea?

I thought that the notice on the courts had SuperValu branding.

SuperValu are the ones that remove the fencing to allow for extra parking there at Christmas.

Ping your local councillor to make a representation to FCC to find out and to get them reopened. I expect that SuperValu will be the answer.

Advertisement