Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Yeah, I loved BSG. It's definitely worth a look for your post DS9 fix.

Stargates? Yeah, they are a bit of fun but not really in the same ballpark.

Farscape? Interesting one. I love Farscape but it certainly is an acquired taste. People may be put off by the use of puppetry and the bright colours and the manic nature of the first season or so but it really goes to interesting places story-wise. Plus, without Farscape you'd have no:

I've never actually watched Farscape. Must give it a go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Stark wrote: »
    Season 4 of Enterprise is good. It's what the show should have started out as. Thought Seasons 1 and 2 were very poor. Haven't watched Season 3, people tell me it's good but the whole Temporal Cold War thing holds no interest for me.

Like many here I rate Enterprise higher than common consensus but I'm probably alone in thinking Season 3 was the best and 4 the worst. I just thought Season 4 was constant fan service brought to a ridiculous level and the final episode was a complete joke but what do I know. Most people say 4 is the best.

mewso wrote: »
    Like many here I rate Enterprise higher than common consensus but I'm probably alone in thinking Season 3 was the best and 4 the worst. I just thought Season 4 was constant fan service brought to a ridiculous level and the final episode was a complete joke but what do I know. Most people say 4 is the best.

3 is great, I've just rewatched S1 and no where as bad as I remember.

S4 may have been full of fan service but if their goal was Earth/Romulan war and founding of the Federation, it had to be.
    While I obviously like S3 it did nothing to progress that arc, much, and there was a lot of catch up to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

JayRoc wrote: »
    BSG was one of the best non-trek sci-fi shows ever, in my opinion.

The first few seasons were truly excellent and very well worth seeing IMHO. They more or less started the whole trend for dark and gritty remakes.
    But, unfortunately, it really went to **** in the last few seasons.
    Once your hear a certain well-known song its time to stop watching.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I loved BSG. It's definitely worth a look for your post DS9 fix.

Stargates? Yeah, they are a bit of fun but not really in the same ballpark.

Farscape? Interesting one. I love Farscape but it certainly is an acquired taste. People may be put off by the use of puppetry and the bright colours and the manic nature of the first season or so but it really goes to interesting places story-wise. Plus, without Farscape you'd have no:

Yeah, there has never been anything like Farscape, and not since then either. It's definitely not for everyone because it rams the dial marked "alien weirdness" all the way to 11 and more often than not had a very playful, bordering on "zany" tone (there was often more than one "comedy" episode per season). But then that's also why the show still lingers and people like myself remember it so fondly.

Having the Jim Henson workshop available was a massive boon because it allowed the show to have properly exotic-looking aliens - including two of its main cast. No underwhelming forehead wrinkles, no distracting CGI; the puppetry was so good on Rygel and Pilot that after a few episodes of adjustment you just stop thinking of them as puppets. Helped that their characters were excellently realised anyway.

Usually, with recommendations there's the standard caveat of "you gotta get past the first season" and while that's true with Farscape it's more instructive because the first half of season 1 definitely played it safe. There were some episodes that were more like Trek-lite than anything else, and isn't until "Scorpy" turns up that things really take off into entertaining madness.

IIRC it's on Amazon Prime so give it a go. Same for anyone else. All other SciFi will seem restrained and quaintly terrestrial in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As a DS9 fan I also love Babylon 5...
    It does come with the "you have to get through the first season" syndrome - some iffy episodes in there such as TKO and Eyes.
    But even in the first season there were some knockout episodes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah B5 seasons 2 - 4 are up there with the best sci-fi. Replacing the lead (Jeffrey Sinclair) from Season 1 helped a lot imo. He was even more wooden than Captain Archer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Smegging hell

BSG is on BBC2 at the moment. James Callis is remarkably similar to Alexander Siddig, and it's not just the accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

BSG is on BBC2 at the moment. James Callis is remarkably similar to Alexander Siddig, and it's not just the accent.

I always thought that, it was spooky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JayRoc wrote: »
    I always thought that, it was spooky!

At first I thought they were the same actor when I watched the mini series!

BSG was a great space opera.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’m doing a rewatch of DS9.

I’m at Season 4 when Sisko goes to Earth with Odo due to the dominion threat.

When Sisko arrives he changes uniform into the uniform used in TNG (red along chest with black on shoulders), while DS9 uniform had the reverse.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

The TNG style uniform seems to be a slightly more formal one than the DS9 style jumpsuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Rawr

bazermc wrote: »
    I’m doing a rewatch of DS9.

I’m at Season 4 when Sisko goes to Earth with Odo due to the dominion threat.

When Sisko arrives he changes uniform into the uniform used in TNG (red along chest with black on shoulders), while DS9 uniform had the reverse.

Why?

My own head-canon theory is that the TNG-style uniform was a sort of Inner-Fleet / Starfleet Command variant while the colour shoulder-pad variant was for the Outer Fleet / Deep Space stations. Excusing the Generations f*ck-ups with wardrobe, you might explain it away be saying that the Inner Fleet was in the process of adopting the Outer Fleet's uniform ahead of a fleet-wide change to the Grey uniforms.

I sort of apply this rule in Lower Decks to the uniforms of the Soritos, which I'm calling the "Low Risk" Fleet uniform, while the Grey uniform is still in use with the "High Risk" Fleet, which is why I think USS Titan still uses it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Uniforms were always a bit tricky, you used to see extras on TNG still in the season 1-2 jump suits with the diamond line collar bone while the main crew had moved to the two piece. Then there was Picards jacket and O'Briens rank insignia. It was only 3 seasons in when they took off that Ensign pip.

Advertisement