Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bought a car with outstanding finance

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Ah great stuff..delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Nice one glad to hear it worked out well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Absolutly chuffed you got it all sorted man ....

Hope this thread can be used as an example of getting your sh1te together to save loss of sleep and grey hairs ..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d suggest contacting whoever you did the car check with and make sure that it’s clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Nice to hear it worked out. This thread taught me a lot.

Me too.

I knew about PCP sales scams but I didn't realise many people have such low expectations from the guards.

I have had very few interactions with guards (just getting passport stamped or breathalysed) so it's disappointing that they seem to be pretty useless according to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Biggest red flag is buying a car model that you think gives so much trouble in general, the fact that one died while you were test driving it should be enough to make you look at a different model, best of luck, interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

This thread should be stickied , preferably on "Motors- Buying and Selling"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Good resolution in the end OP.
    I've owned Opel/Vauxhall all my life and never had a serious issue in all that time. Change the oil every 10k with proper spec and let the car warm up before driving hard.
    Best of luck with it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Gturek86 wrote: »
    Hi all! Sorry for the delay in posting but the whole car thing was weighting on my mind for the past couple of days now and had forgotten completely about this thread.

So, the case has been resolved peacefully. Because of the trouble in communication with the seller caused by his bad English, this whole thing caused lot of misunderstandings on both parties.

Long story short, the guy already had two cars on finance and wanted to sell one of them (insignia) and pay the remainder of the loan to get another one.

I visited him last Sunday with my brother in law and another guy who speaks Lithuanian. This time the conversation ran a lot smoother. For some reason, in the beginning the seller thought that I wanted to have some sort of insight into the finance of the cars he had taken on finance after selling the insignia. Thankfully that has been resolved. He got an official letter from the bank saying that the finance on insignia has been cleared. Also, like I mentioned before, he was not aware that selling the car still on finance was not legal.

This whole situation probably gave me quite a lot more gray hair than I had before. I realize now that it all could have end up a lot worse. Anyways, thank you all for your insight on the matter and all the help I received from you. I know I made some mistakes but I'll be an experience richer going forward.

Also, some of you were asking why the price of the car was so high. The thing is that this is the most loaded version of the car possible and they are quite hard to find frankly. I've looked into some of these cars in the past few weeks when I was looking for one but most of them had some problems that would need work hours and money invested in them to some degree. Things like tearing leather seats, strong cigarette odour and discoloration of the interior or even mechanical problems. When I was viewing one at a car dealers in Dublin, the car died during test drive,right after "check engine" light came on and the car could not start again ;(. The one I have now has everything in order and was serviced regularly twice a year since new and is indicated in service book. And that wa

So glad you got sorted in the end. I'm not familiar with these things but would it not be a letter from the finance company saying the finance has been cleared? I would have thought the banks only involvement would be the direct debits coming from his bank account and going to the finance company. Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick here. It's just the cynic in me thinks that it might be handy enough to replicate what appears to be an official bank letter if you had a few days notice in which to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ThunderCat wrote: »
    So glad you got sorted in the end. I'm not familiar with these things but would it not be a letter from the finance company saying the finance has been cleared? I would have thought the banks only involvement would be the direct debits coming from his bank account and going to the finance company. Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick here. It's just the cynic in me thinks that it might be handy enough to replicate what appears to be an official bank letter if you had a few days notice in which to do it.

the finance was from the bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement