Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small older car, most rust resistant?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm looking for a 1 litre car maybe 15-20 years old, relatively reliable and corrosion resistant. I'd like a Yaris, but even these can suffer from the dreaded tin worm. (My poor Micra has failed the NCT in a big way due to rust, a shame as it had been running well.) If I buy locally I'd get a mechanic to look it over. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any reason to want a 20 year old car?
    I would maybe look at 10-15 year old for near enough the same money?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

See a few older Polos around with no rust on them, I'm no expert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Colt. We have one as a city runabout and not a spec of rust. Intending to keep it as it’s so reliable . Nice sound from the 3 cylinder too.

Something like this.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25698708

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

Get something newer and you won't need to worry about rust for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Yaris are one of the best at that age, but they all might need a patch of weld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Mk 1 Yaris ended in 2005, I kinda like them, Mk 2s are much more expensive. A bit of a weld would be ok, as long as the rest could be sealed reasonably well. I had a Polo before the Micra, it too died of corrosion, the joys of seaside living. I'll check out Colts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Ive got a 06 corolla i have only seen one tiny spot of rust on the a pillar, seems good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

K11 Micras have the cross member rust problem.
    Fix that and they will keep trucking for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you could live with a 1.4 engine the Audi A2 from about 15-20 years ago has an aluminum body and will be a future classic so if you keep it well it will hold value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

elperello wrote: »
    If you could live with a 1.4 engine the Audi A2 from about 15-20 years ago has an aluminum body and will be a future classic so if you keep it well it will hold value.

Seek and ye shall find, posted this in the Bangernomics thread earlier on, taxed and NCTd, Diesel too, so as near free motoring as you'll get if the car checks out. All for €1250.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2-2004-1-4-l-diesel-tdi/26296461?campaign=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've had a lot of older cars and rust was not the reason why most of them died

Its the uneconomical repairs that kill old cars
    The electric window regulator goes, maybe live with it till the next service, then the seatbelt pressure sensor stays on, or the air con flange only blows to one setting...

A few small jobs cost the price of a newer or less injured replacement car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

biko wrote: »
    K11 Micras have the cross member rust problem.
    Fix that and they will keep trucking for years.

We had two that rusted badly on the rear sills.

Jacked it up one day and the sill went up but not the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

If I remember correctly: FIAT were galvanising the bodies some years back? Anyone fill in with more details?

Thats a nice looking Audi A2 on Done Deal, I'd be tempted if I covered a decent amount of miles per annum, but in reality my car sits outside the door unused for days on end. There is a Skoda diesel in the family too, that gets regular use. It's becoming increasingly difficult to justify having my own car at all, to be honest, but you know how it is....I know where there is a Citroen C2 for sale, but it seems fairly tatty, also tax is €320 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

I would have no worries about a mk1 yaris, they are in way as rusty as a k11 micra.

You'd get a fresh enough panda for small money.... No need to buy a 15 year old thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We had two that rusted badly on the rear sills.

Jacked it up one day and the sill went up but not the car!

Rear axle assembly can rot from the inside out too and the radiator support goes in loads of them too.

Op as pointed out you'd get a panda for handy enough money. Mk3 clio, mk2 yaris worth a look too.

Then there is the Nissan K12, still has a timing chain which is good, but maybe too many Renault parts...switch gear, perhaps more stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

woody33 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a 1 litre car maybe 15-20 years old, relatively reliable and corrosion resistant. I'd like a Yaris, but even these can suffer from the dreaded tin worm. (My poor Micra has failed the NCT in a big way due to rust, a shame as it had been running well.) If I buy locally I'd get a mechanic to look it over. Thoughts?

Your problem will getting it insured. You'll get a 10yr old car for that same money.

Advertisement