Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Odd question??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From tuesday:
    442. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of gardaí who held a firearms permit on 31 December 2004 and 2005; if steps have been taken to significantly reduce the numbers with such training; and the reason therefor. [4040/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I am informed by the Garda authorities that the total number of firearms cards issued for year ending the 31 December 2005 was 3,631. In December 2004, in response to a question from Deputy Howlin, I indicated that the Commissioner appointed a working group within the Garda Síochána, chaired by an assistant commissioner, to examine issues relating to the use of firearms in the force with particular reference to training. At this point, I have not yet received a report from the Commissioner on the findings of this working group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

these are work guns not social i take it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

scout wrote:
    these are work guns not social i take it?

yeah is the qualifaction to handle firearms internally in the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

I wonder if Gardai who are issued a firearm for their work have a monitored alarm system and safe for it?

• Advertisement

Of course not Riggser!They are Gardai for effs sake dont you know that??:D
    I mean c'mon once you have been in Templemore,and done all that square bashing,and "whats de name now"mantra and leanning to tack the word "now" onto every sentence like a full stop,plus whatever firearms training you might require ,you are a God!!!:rolleyes: And onerous laws and customs that apply to "mere civillians" dont apply to you at all.That includes firearms.Putting your FA UZI in a breifcase and leaving it in a car on the backseat in plain view is good enough security,now!:eek: :rolleyes:

Actually,I would be really intrested to know what the training in firearms is like here for the Gardai.Last SB man I talked to said he was issued with 24 rounds of 38 per annum,and had to fire off those in his annual qualification at a target bullseye in a offhand target stance before he was reissued with another 24 for the next year.They were semi wad cutter target loads,being fired from a S&W.38 revolver that was big enough in size to qualify as a 44Mag Mod 29:eek: Hope things have changed somwhat since 1994 when I last talked to him.

Some interesting questions today to the Minister for Sport:
    *326. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the funding which was given out under the Government sporting grant schemes in 2005 and for 2006; and the breakdown of the way in which and where the funding was allocated.—AengusO´ Snodaigh. [9001/06]
    *327. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to promote Olympic sports here. — Aengus O´ Snodaigh. [9002/06]
    *328. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken to invest funds in communities here for new, modern sport facilities. — Aengus O´Snodaigh. [9003/06]
    *329. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to invest funding for sporting facilities into designated areas of disadvantage here, such as the CLA´ R and RAPID areas.—AengusO´ Snodaigh. [9004/06]
    *330. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to promote sport on an all Ireland basis. —Aengus O´ Snodaigh. [9006/06]
    *331. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to promote and invest in minority sports, such as tennis, skateboarding, ice hockey, hill climbing and so on; and if he will report on the matter. — Aengus O´Snodaigh. [9007/06]

And some to the Minister for Justice which shouldn't have anything to do with us, but probably will :(
    *487. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the steps he has taken to deal with the unacceptable number of firearms being brought into, held and sold illegally here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jim O’Keeffe [9548/06]
    *488. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his plans to introduce legislation to deal with firearms here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. —Jim O’Keeffe [9549/06]

The Minister for Justice is up for questions in the Dail today. Some interesting ones:
    4. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the firearms training facilities which are available to members of An Garda Sı´ocha´ na; the number of times these facilities can be used; the amount spent on firearms training by An Garda Sı´ocha´ na; his views on whether the current provisions are adequate; and if he will make a statement on the matter.— Jim O’Keeffe. [9820/06]
    *182. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his proposals to limit the availability of hand guns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [9981/06]

Unfortunately, there is also the kind of question that tends to impinge on us despite being unrelated to what we do:
    *176. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the steps he proposes to take to combat the increase in gun violence; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [9975/06]

From Tuesday's debate:
    326. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport Information the funding allocated under the Government sporting grant schemes in 2005 and for 2006; and the breakdown of the way in which and where the funding was allocated. [9001/06]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Mr. O’Donoghue): In 2005, my Department’s total expenditure on sport amounted to €184.5 million on the sports capital programme, local authority swimming pool programme, redevelopment of Lansdowne Road, Campus and Stadium Ireland Development Limited, Irish Sports Council, Horseracing Ireland and Bord na gCon. The provision for sport in 2006 in the Book of Estimates amounts to €228.795 million, an increase of 24% over 2005.

The national lottery funded sports capital programme, which is administered by my Department, is the primary means of providing capital funding for sports facilities to clubs and voluntary and community organisations throughout the country. The programme is advertised on an annual basis. In 2005 a total of €56.8 million was paid out in respect of grants allocated under the sports capital programmes. Since 1998 a total of €395 million has now been allocated to 4,923 projects throughout the country providing for the needs of organisations and participants in the areas of physical recreation, training, coaching and competition at all levels of sport. Almost €68 million has been provided in the 2006 Estimates for the provision of national lottery funded sport and physical recreational facilities.

In 2005, €14.1 million was spent under my Department’s local authority swimming pool programme supporting the construction-refurbishment of swimming pools. In that year, two new pools opened to the public - in Tuam and Ballymun - and two refurbished pools opened - in Clonmel and Churchfield in Cork city. In addition, five projects were approved for grant assistance allowing construction-refurbishment work to commence at various locations. Seven pool projects were approved to seek tenders for construction and a further nine projects had their preliminary reports approved allowing the preparation of contract documents. In 2006, €32 million has been provided in my Department’s Vote in respect of this programme and so far this year I have allocated a further €11,427,642 towards three swimming pool projects at Portlaoise, Portarlington and Longford.

In January 2004 the Government agreed to provide funding of €191 million, phased over five years, to the joint IRFU-FAI project for the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road stadium as a 50,000 seat state-of-the-art stadium. This project has now been taken to the planning stage and an application for planning permission was lodged with Dublin City Council in January. Expenditure in 2005 amounted to €9.5 million, with €20 million being provided for expenditure in 2006.

In 2005 a total of €1.4 million in current funding was provided to CSID, the company charged with the development of the sports campus. In November 2005, the Government approved the commencement of phase one of the development of facilities at Abbotstown and funds for the delivery of the project have been provided in my Department’s multiannual capital envelope for 2006-10. Phase one provides for the development of a national field sports training centre, catering for rugby, soccer, Gaelic games and hockey. In addition, a national indoor training centre is planned to provide world class training facilities for more than 30 sports, accommodation for sportsmen and sportswomen, sports science and medical facilities and publicly accessible all-weather floodlit synthetic pitches for community use are also included. Current and capital funding totalling €10.798 million has been provided in the 2006 Estimates.

The Irish Sports Council was established in 1999 as the statutory body responsible for the promotion and development of sport in Ireland. It spent more than €34 million in 2005 on initiating, developing and enhancing a wide range of programmes aimed at increasing participation and raising standards in sport. Almost €41 million has been allocated to the council for 2006, which will ensure the continuation of its work in advancing and supporting sport at all levels.

Government support for the horse and greyhound racing industries is provided under the horse and greyhound racing fund, as approved by the Oireachtas. Under the provisions of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Act 2001, the fund receives a guaranteed level of finance based on the excise duty on off-course betting. A total of €68.35 million was provided under the fund in 2005 of which €54.84 million was allocated to current expenditure and €13.51 million to capital programmes. In 2004 the Oireachtas approved regulations to increase the limit of the fund from €254 million to €550 million to continue the fund for a further four years to 2008. A total of €70.06 million has been provided for the fund in 2006.

This unprecedented level of investment in sport is clear evidence of the importance which the Government attaches to establishing modern, well equipped and well managed sporting facilities supported by a wide range of programmes which are having a real benefit to our communities.

• Advertisement

From Tuesday's debate:
    327. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps being taken by his Department to promote Olympic sports here. [9002/06]

331. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to promote and invest in minority sports, such as tennis, skateboarding, ice hockey, hill climbing and so on; and if he will report on the matter. [9007/06]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Mr. O’Donoghue): I propose to take Questions Nos. 327 and 331 together.

My Department’s role is to provide the overall policy framework and the necessary funding to assist in the provision of sports facilities and to enable its State agency, the Irish Sports Council, to carry out its various functions. The Irish Sports Council was established in 1999 as the statutory body with responsibility for the promotion and development of sport. The provision in funding for the Sports Council in the 2006 Estimates is €40.9 million, in comparison with just over €13 million in 2000. This increased level of funding has enabled the council to initiate, develop and enhance a wide range of programmes to assist the governing bodies of Olympic, major and minority sports in strengthening their capacities, increasing participation and raising standards in their sports.

The Irish Sports Council has already this year allocated grants totalling €7.7 million to 59 national governing bodies of sport, including Olympic and minority sports. The core activities covered by the grants include administration of the sports, the employment of professional staff, coach development and assorted development activities. For certain sports it may also include hosting events and programmes aimed at increasing participation. The sports council also works in partnership with the Olympic Council of Ireland, Paralympic Council of Ireland and relevant Olympic governing bodies of sport in the preparation and participation of Irish competitors at the Olympic and paralympic games.

Arising from the Athens review 2005, the sports council put together an operational plan which identifies key performance indicators, timescales and costings and the roles of the various agencies in supporting Ireland’s Olympic and paralympic preparations for Beijing 2008 and beyond. The plan encompasses elements such as the introduction of targeted sport performance plans, including prioritising junior, development and elite athletes; the international carding scheme; proposals for the development of an Irish institute of sport; maintaining and enhancing the role of the Olympic and paralympic performance committees to ensure optimum co-operation in the preparation and performance of the Irish team for the Beijing games and beyond and the strengthening of the Olympic Council of Ireland’s administrative capability.

The sports council has established performance planning for a number of targeted Olympic-paralympic sports. Grants are allocated to each sport, which have clear performance pathways and targets. This approach will help put into place longer term planning within high performance sports linking directly into the 2012 London games. In 2006, additional grants totalling €3.9 million have been allocated to 13 Olympic-paralympic sports.

The Olympic performance committee and paralympic performance committees, with representatives of the council, the Olympic Council of Ireland and the Paralympic Council of Ireland, meet regularly to address various topics that arise in the run-up to the games. The meetings focus on strengthening co-operation between the key agencies on athlete preparation, particularly in relation to pre-games training camps, acclimatisation and full medical and science support.

The national lottery funded sports capital programme administered by my Department allocates funding to sporting and community organisations at local, regional and national level. The programme is advertised on an annual basis. Since 1998 a total of €395 million has been allocated to 4,923 projects providing for the needs of organisations and participants in the areas of physical recreation, training, coaching and competition at all levels of sport, including Olympic and minority sports. Among the major projects which have received substantial funding are the National Aquatic Centre and national centres for rowing, tennis, hockey, boxing, basketball and athletics, all catering for Olympic sports.

The local authority swimming pool programme, which is also administered by my Department, provides grant aid towards the capital costs of a new swimming pool, a replacement pool or the refurbishment of an existing pool. I allocated a total of more than €19 million under the local authority swimming pool programme in 2005 towards five swimming pool projects. So far in 2006 I have allocated a further €11.4 million towards three swimming pool projects.

The Government has approved the commencement of phase one of the development of facilities at Abbotstown and funds for the delivery of the project have been provided in my Department’s multiannual capital envelope for 2006-10. Phase one provides for the development of a national field sports training centre catering for rugby, soccer Gaelic games and hockey. In addition, a national indoor training centre is planned to provide world class training facilities for more than 30 sports, accommodation for sportsmen and sportswomen, sports science and medical facilities and publicly accessible all-weather floodlit synthetic pitches for community use are also included.

The Irish Sports Council is also finalising its proposals for the development of an Irish institute of sport. The planned facilities at the sports campus at Abbotstown and the considerable progress being made in providing a network of high quality facilities throughout the country, complemented by the support of the sports council, help deliver the infrastructure and programmes needed for the further development of our elite competitors as well as participants at all levels in all types of sport in Ireland.

From Tuesday's debate:
    328. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken to invest funds in communities here for new, modern sport facilities. [9003/06]

329. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to invest funding for sporting facilities into designated areas of disadvantage here, such as the CLÁR and RAPID areas. [9004/06]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Mr. O’Donoghue): I propose to take Questions Nos. 328 and 329 together.

The national lottery funded sports capital programme, which is administered by my Department, provides funding to sporting and community organisations at local, regional and national level throughout the country towards the provision of sport and recreational facilities. Since 1998, almost €395 million has been allocated in sports capital funding to some 4,923 projects in villages, towns and parishes throughout the country. Over that period, the annual allocation has increased by more than 830% from just over €7.55 million in 1998 to almost €63.2 million in 2005. Of the 2005 allocation, in excess of €12.7 million was allocated to projects classified as community-mixed, which would include recreational facilities provided in community centres and community based facilities and projects where more than one sport or recreational activity was available.

One of the stated objectives of the sports capital programme is to prioritise the needs of disadvantaged areas in the provision of sports facilities. Such areas are those designated by Government for special support through the schemes administered by the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs and Pobal, the agency with responsibility for the administration of the RAPID programme, that is, RAPID I and II, local drugs task force and CLÁR areas.

Projects identified as being located in areas designated as disadvantaged are targeted and prioritised in a number of ways during assessment of applications under the programme. They are permitted to have a lower level of own funding available - 20% as against the normal 30% - towards their project and also receive a higher assessment score under a number of assessment criteria. In addition, applications which include programmes aimed at improving social inclusion also receive higher assessment scores.

Over the period 2001-05, a total of €141 million was allocated under the sports capital programme to almost 1,500 projects in respect of the provision of facilities in areas categorised as disadvantaged. In addition, successful projects located in CLÁR and RAPID areas may qualify to receive additional top-up funding, payable by the Department of Community Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, in addition to their sports capital allocation. In the case of projects located in CLÁR areas, this top-up funding can be up to 20% of the sports capital grant amount; in the case of projects located in RAPID areas which are also endorsed by their local area implementation team, the top-up funding can be up to 30%.

My Department continues to liaise closely with both the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs and Pobal with regard to continuing to prioritise applications for sports capital funding from areas designated by Government as disadvantaged.

The local authority swimming pool programme, which is also administered by my Department, provides grant aid towards the capital costs of a new swimming pool, a replacement pool or the refurbishment of an existing pool. The programme provides for a maximum grant level of 80% of eligible costs - 90% in the case of disadvantaged areas - subject to a maximum of €3.8 million. The current round of the swimming pool programme was closed to applications on 31 July 2000 and the priority in relation to the programme is to support the 57 projects which applied for funding prior to the closing date. Since 2000, just over €93 million has been allocated towards the cost of swimming pool projects.

I am sure the Deputy will agree that, given the massive increase in investment I have outlined, it is clear there has been a significant improvement in the level of sport and recreational facilities being provided in communities all over the country. However, my Department is continually assessing the economic and social potential of sport and has established an inter-agency steering group to oversee the development of a sports facilities strategy.

Section 847A of the Taxes Consolidation Act provides for a scheme for tax relief for relevant donations to approved sports bodies towards the funding of sports capital projects. Approved sports status can be awarded by my Department for suitable capital projects, allowing for tax relief to be claimed by a club on donations towards the project that exceed the minimum qualifying threshold of €250 per annum. Full details of the tax relief scheme are available on my Department’s website at www.dast.gov.ie.

From Tuesday's debate:
    330. Aengus Ó Snodaigh asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the steps which are being taken by his Department to promote sport on an all Ireland basis. [9006/06]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Mr. O’Donoghue): The Irish Sports Council and the Sports Council for Northern Ireland have an excellent working relationship and engage in a number of joint initiatives, such as the code of ethics and good practice for children’s sport, the all-island sports development conference and programmes such as Youth Sport West. The high level all-island planning group, which includes the chairperson and chief executive of each council, meets on a regular basis to ensure consistency in policy and practice in sports development. There is co-operation on such issues as research, development of high performance sport and anti-doping. The group ensures that there is no duplication of effort in planning and support for governing bodies of sport and individual athletes.

Regular meetings take place between officials of my Department and the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure at which sporting topics are discussed to the mutual benefit of each Department.

The selection of London last July as the host city for the 2012 games offers Ireland an unprecedented opportunity for businesses, tourism and sport. I have met David Hanson MP, Northern Ireland’s Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure for discussions on a number of sports issues, including the opportunities in relation to London hosting the 2012 summer Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. The Minister and I agreed there were tremendous opportunities for both Northern Ireland and the Republic to benefit from the games. The existing close working relationships both at departmental and sports council levels will provide a solid basis upon which to maximise the opportunities ahead. I have also discussed the situation with Richard Caborn MP, the British Minister for Sport, who has warmly welcomed the approach being undertaken on an all-island basis here.

From tuesday's debate:
    488. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his plans to introduce legislation to deal with firearms here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9549/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): In the context of the Criminal Justice Bill 2004, which is awaiting Committee Stage in the House, I propose to bring forward a wide range of amendments which will strengthen the law governing the control of firearms. Included in these proposals are measure which will include the introduction of new offences concerning the modification of firearms such as “sawing off” a shotgun; increases in the fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts; and the creation of mandatory minimum sentences of between five and ten years for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle and use or production of firearm to resist arrest.

In this context I also propose to introduce a statutory basis for an amnesty during which firearms may be surrendered to the Garda Síochána before the proposed new penalties and minimum mandatory sentences are introduced. This will enable those in possession of firearms, who are not in compliance with the legal requirements, to regularise their position, and thus enable the Garda Síochána to concentrate on more serious offenders.

Every effort is made by the Garda Síochána to combat the illegal importation, sale and possession of firearms through intelligence-led operations and activities. Operation Anvil, launched in May last year and aimed at those involved in gun crime of any kind, is one of the most intensive special policing operations ever undertaken in the State. It is intelligence-driven and has significant levels of Garda resources. The Garda Síochána is receiving resources this year to continue Operation Anvil and I have asked the Commissioner to extend it to Garda divisions outside Dublin. Operation Anvil contributed to the increase of 16% in the detection of possession of firearms in 2005. Up to 19 February 2006, Operation Anvil resulted in over 1,600 arrests, including 23 for murder, over 13,200 searches, including 360 searches for firearms that resulted in 359 firearms seized or recovered, and the recovery of property with a value of €5.7 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Included in these proposals are measure which will include the introduction of new offences concerning the modification of firearms

is there more defined clauses in the bill as to what modification is?

Interesting reply to Thursday's question #4:
    4. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the firearms training facilities which are available to members of the Garda Síochána; the number of times these facilities can be used; the amount spent on firearms training by the Garda Síochána; his views on whether the current provisions are adequate; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9820/06]

Mr. McDowell: Firearms training forms part of all specialist training conducted by the specialist training unit under the authority of the Garda College. I am advised by the Garda authorities that they have the use of Army firing ranges to facilitate Garda firearms training and have access to 12 such ranges countrywide. The total expenditure for the specialist training unit for 2005 was €1,959,266 which includes all salary and related ancillary costs. This figure does not include travel and subsistence incurred by individual members undergoing the training.

The number of gardaí who carry arms on duty at any particular time is an operational matter for the Garda Commissioner. I have made it clear in the past that the traditional unarmed character of the Garda Síochána has been one its key strengths in maintaining its public reputation as an approachable force which polices by consent rather than fear. This is a tradition which any reasonable member of the public would want continued.

Instruction governing the use of firearms and practical-tactical training is provided for each firearm on issue to the Garda Síochána. Members must achieve the necessary skills and standards to meet the aims and objectives for each firearms course. There is also an ongoing annual recertification programme, which includes refresher training.

Members of the Garda Síochána who successfully complete the relevant firearms training course are issued with a certificate of competency in the particular firearm. To carry a firearm on duty the member’s chief superintendent must issue the member with a firearm authorisation card. I am informed by the Garda authorities that the total number of firearms cards issued for the year ending 31 December 2005 was 3,631 or approximately one quarter of the force. Responsibility for the use of a firearm resides with individual gardaí in accordance with instructions.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe: One of the most far-sighted and enlightened decisions of the founding fathers of the State was to have an unarmed police force, although I accept that armed back-up is necessary. Currently, 3,600 members of the Garda Síochána hold firearms certificates and it is imperative that they have the highest professional training. Information supplied to me indicates that this is not the case as gardaí have no firing range - the indoor ranges in Dublin and Templemore are closed - student gardaí do not receive firearms training, gardaí are only allowed to practise three times per annum, no tactical training is given and 500 new SIG 6 mm and 9 mm automatics are in stores with no one trained in their use.

I understand a report is being compiled on the use of firearms. I understand this report, a copy of which I have sought but not yet received, may contain the following statement:

The firearms training situation in An Garda Síochána is at present in crisis. This crisis arises from a failure to provide a clear operational and training policy, appropriate training facilities, a proper internationally recognised——

An Ceann Comhairle: It is not in order to quote from documents during questions.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe: I will abide by the Ceann Comhairle’s ruling. A serious issue arises in this regard because 3,600 members of the Garda Síochána are being given inadequate training and do not have proper facilities to bring them up to the highest professional standards in the use of firearms. Guns are lethal instruments which can cause injury and damage to members of the force and the public.

Mr. McDowell: I reject the suggestion that there is a crisis. The fact that more than 3,600 members of the Garda Síochána are issued annually with a certificate for which they undergo testing every year speaks for itself. In 1985 when two certain parties were in government an indoor range was built in Garda headquarters. This range is out of service and awaiting complete refurbishment because concerns arose about the safety of the building which the Deputy’s party constructed when in government. An external company has been engaged with a view to deciding how the building, which is only 20 years old, can be made safe and brought up to the proper standards.

Last year the Garda authorities submitted proposals to my Department for the provision of two Garda firearms training facilities. These are being considered by officials in my Department in consultation with the Office of Public Works. In the medium term it is planned to provide a new centre of excellence for the Garda College. A site for this centre, which will cater for a broad range of tactical training requirements for the force, including facilities for firearms training, is being sought. The Garda authorities have informed me that they are satisfied current firearms training is adequate for the present firearms training needs of the force.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe: Does the Minister not accept that this is an extremely serious issue, for which he has responsibility? Does he accept that the information I cited, which was passed on to me anonymously by what I believe to be credible sources, indicates a serious state of affairs? The Minister should take responsibility in this matter and ensure deficiencies in firearms training are remedied immediately before a serious injury or accident results.

Mr. McDowell: I assure the Deputy that if the Garda Commissioner asks me for resources for firearms training and makes proposals - he has already proposed the establishment of two centres - which can be implemented, the question of resources will not arise. It is simply a matter of giving the Garda approval to put in place what is appropriate for the force. No Minister in the history of the State has given the Garda as many resources as are currently available to it. I will not stint any resource as far as gardaí being properly equipped to carry out their duties is concerned. I am satisfied the particular problem which emerged with the 20 year old indoor firing range erected when the Deputy’s party was in government is being addressed.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe:
    The Minister should stop playing politics with a serious issue.

Mr. McDowell: The other facilities to which I referred will be provided when sites are identified for them.

Mr. J. O’Keeffe:
    The Minister should read the report of the working group from which I believe I have quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    Interesting reply to Thursday's question #4:
    Mr. J. O’Keeffe: ...and 500 new SIG 6 mm and 9 mm automatics are in stores...
    "6mm" :confused::confused::confused:

I didn't know SIG did a gun in .25ACP! :rolleyes:

I suppose he meant 'SIG P226 9mm automatics', and it's not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but the lack of knowledge often displayed by our legislators does grate a bit. :mad:

Rovi wrote:
    "6mm" :confused::confused::confused:
    I didn't know SIG did a gun in .25ACP! :rolleyes:
    I suppose he meant 'SIG P226 9mm automatics', and it's not a big deal in the great scheme of things, but the lack of knowledge often displayed by our legislators does grate a bit. :mad:

I get the feeling from what he wrote ("the information I cited, which was passed on to me anonymously by what I believe to be credible sources, indicates a serious state of affairs") that he doesn't know anything about firearms himself Rovi, and wouldn't be overwhelmed with shock if he was being used by someone who would prefer to see McDowell put under some pressure with regards to firearms legislation.

But if knowing that those in government don't have much technical knowlege on firearms is upsetting, don't read the debates from the 1964(?) firearms act - one senator is on record as saying that he didn't know if .22 pistols existed, but if they did they should be banned because you could make explosive tipped bullets for them. I'm sure that The Day of the Jackal being a recently published bestseller at the time had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Sparks wrote:
    But if knowing that those in government don't have much technical knowlege on firearms is upsetting....

Yes, all those 4.5MM Ice bullet pistols should be banned also...

:D

Finally back at my PC, been away for the weekend. Here's the answer to that other interesting question the Minister was asked. I've highlighted some stuff myself:
    182. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his proposals to limit the availability of handguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9981/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): Under the Firearms Acts, 1925-2000, it is unlawful for any person to possess, use or carry a firearm unless authorised by a firearm certificate granted by a superintendent of the Garda Síochána. Before granting such certificate the superintendent must be satisfied that the person seeking it has a good reason for requiring the firearm in question, does not pose a danger to public safety or the peace and is not a person disentitled, under the Acts, to hold a firearms certificate. Only a superintendent may grant a firearms certificate and I, as Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, have no statutory function in the matter.

In the Criminal Justice Bill, 2004, which is currently before the House, I propose to bring forward a range of measures to strengthen the law governing the control of firearms. These new measures include provisions whereby I may, by order, specify certain firearms as “restricted firearms” by reference to the category, calibre, muzzle energy, working mechanism and description of the firearm. A firearms certificate may only be granted by the Garda Commissioner in respect of firearms deemed restricted. In addition, I am providing that the matters which must be considered when deciding whether to grant a firearms certificate be extended to cover, among other things, the appropriateness of the firearm for the purpose for which the certificate is sought, the safe storage of the firearm, proof of competence in the use of the firearm and consent to inquiries as to the applicant’s medical history.

I am also providing for increases in fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts and the creation of mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest.

Is it just me or does the first highlighted bit seem a bit odd to bring up when asked about banning handguns, unless it's an indication that he intends to mark all handguns as "restricted firearms" under the new Act?

And on the second highlighted bit, I thought that the DoJ had undertaken not to seek any of those things except the safe storage and the competency and that even that was only under discussion?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Finally back at my PC, been away for the weekend. Here's the answer to that other interesting question the Minister was asked. I've highlighted some stuff myself:

Is it just me or does the first highlighted bit seem a bit odd to bring up when asked about banning handguns, unless it's an indication that he intends to mark all handguns as "restricted firearms" under the new Act?

And on the second highlighted bit, I thought that the DoJ had undertaken not to seek any of those things except the safe storage and the competency and that even that was only under discussion?

Be intresting to see how he intends to get your medical records.Seeing that as the patient YOU dont even have the right to access your own medical record held by your doctor!!!Guess the Garda comissioner is going to be very busy with firearms applications every 31st July,and he will be travelling to alot of DC around the land to explain his refusals in a 30 day period.
    Sounds like more political noise,and be seen to be "doing somthing"

Seeing that as the patient YOU dont even have the right to access your own medical record held by your doctor!
    Yes you do CG. Had this discussion with my own family doctor recently. Any computer file like that, which held on you by anyone must, under the data protection act, be made known to you and be inspectable by you (except for investigative gardai files). Same goes for written files under the FOI act. You might not be allowed see your family files though. Which is fair enough - unless the doc has prior permission, he'd be letting you look at another adult's medical records.

Sparks wrote:
    Yes you do CG. Had this discussion with my own family doctor recently. Any computer file like that, which held on you by anyone must, under the data protection act, be made known to you and be inspectable by you (except for investigative gardai files). Same goes for written files under the FOI act. You might not be allowed see your family files though. Which is fair enough - unless the doc has prior permission, he'd be letting you look at another adult's medical records.

Sorry Sparks the FOI DOES NOT cover written records.Why do you think most sensitive records are still hand written??Especially still in the doc and legal branch.

CG, from the Nursing Board Clinical Practise Guidelines, 2002:
    Freedom of Information Act, 1997
    Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act, 1997, patients/clients are entitled to access a copy of any healthcare record that applies to them and which is maintained by a Health Board/Health Authority or a voluntary hospital. Freedom of Information Officers are employed by health service agencies and further information may be obtained by consulting them. Nurses and midwives should be aware of what arrangements exist, at local level, to comply with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act, 1997.

Data Protection Act, 1988
    The Data Protection Act, 1988 deals with computer records and protects an individual’s right to privacy with regard to such records. The Act states data held must be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date. Under the terms of the Act, an individual has the right to establish the existence of such data and has the right to access such data. A person has the right to have amended or corrected any records that are incomplete, incorrect or misleading. There are certain circumstances where access may be refused and these are detailed in the Data Protection (Access Modification) (Health)Regulations, 1989.

And from the FOI Act itself:
    6.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every person has a right to and shall, on request therefor, be offered access to any record held by a public body and the right so conferred is referred to in this Act as the right of access

And from the FOI Act's definitions section:
    "record" includes any memorandum, book, plan, map, drawing, diagram, pictorial or graphic work or other document, any photograph, film or recording (whether of sound or images or both), any form in which data (within the meaning of the Data Protection Act, 1988) are held, any other form (including machine-readable form) or thing in which information is held or stored manually, mechanically or electronically and anything that is a part or a copy, in any form, of any of the foregoing or is a combination of two or more of the foregoing;

Nice try,but where does it mention General Practioners,who will more than likely have your personal record.,private hospitals or institutions ,Or hand written documents???Good if your Doc has your files on his computor,mine doesn't. Reason,can we say say medical malpractise lawsuit?? Nor is there any law that states all your medical info must be on an electronic database.

The DPA applies to material stored on a computor or other electronic devices.The FOIA doesn't cover private individuals either.Also note the "get out clause"the data access modification [health] act reg 1989.

I spend alot of my working time trying to access this information and I can tell you both FOIA and DPA are flawed and setup in favour of the govt,not the private individual.This has even been admitted by mt Willie O Dea who was one of the architects of the DPA,who admitted that they missed this vital point of written records.

More questions...
    *651. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the estimated number of illegally held weapons here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jim O’Keeffe. [10577/06]

*652. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of weapons that it was estimated to have been illegally imported here in 2006 and each year since 2000; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jim O’Keeffe. [10578/06]

*653. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of firearms other than shotguns or ordinary rifles that it was estimated to have been illegally imported here in 2006 and each year since 2000; the estimated number that are currently held illegally here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jim O’Keeffe. [10579/06]
    *709. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on the fact that 23 fatal shootings have occurred since Ireland was declared officially safe by European standards a year ago; if it is proposed to strengthen the firearms laws to deal with the escalating rate of armed murders; if additional full time Gardaı´ will be recruited towards this objective; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Paudge Connolly. [11116/06]

And answered...
    651. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the estimated number of illegally held weapons here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10577/06]

652. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of weapons that it was estimated to have been illegally imported here in 2006 and each year since 2000; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10578/06]

653. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of firearms other than shotguns or ordinary rifles that it was estimated to have been illegally imported here in 2006 and each year since 2000; the estimated number that are held illegally here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10579/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 651 to 653, inclusive, together.

I am informed by the Garda authorities that it is not possible for the Garda Síochána to quantify how many firearms-weapons have been imported illegally into this jurisdiction for 2006 and previous years from 2000. Any estimation would be purely speculative.

However, every effort is made by the Garda Síochána to combat the illegal importation, sale and possession of firearms through intelligence led operations and activities. Operation Anvil, launched in May 2005, and aimed at those involved in gun crime of any kind, is one of the most intensive special policing operations ever undertaken in the State. It is intelligence-driven and has significant levels of Garda resources. The Garda Síochána is receiving resources this year to continue Operation Anvil as long as it is deemed necessary in operational policing terms. I have asked the Commissioner to extend it to Garda divisions outside Dublin.

Operation Anvil contributed to the increase of 16% in the detection of possession of firearms in 2005. Up to 19 February 2006, Operation Anvil resulted in over 1,600 arrests, including 23 for murder, over 13,200 searches, including 360 searches for firearms that resulted in 359 firearms seized or recovered, and the recovery of property with a value of €5.7 million.

In November 2005 an additional 50 personnel from the uniform service in the Dublin metropolitan region, DMR, were transferred to the National Bureau of Criminal Investigations. These officers are dealing exclusively with criminals involved in gun crime in the DMR through Operation Anvil.

Due to my concerns about firearms in general and to ensure public safety and security, I propose to bring forward a wide range of amendments to the Firearms Acts 1925-2000 in the context of the Criminal Justice Bill 2004, which is before the Dáil. Included in these new proposals will be measures which will create mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest.

The proposals also include provisions to require all persons, wishing to legally hold a firearm, to satisfy the Garda that they have provided secure accommodation for the firearm; allow the Minister to deem certain firearms as restricted by reference to specific criteria, including the calibre, action type and muzzle energy of the firearm. In future, any person wishing to obtain a certificate for such a firearm will have to apply directly to the Garda Commissioner. The Bill will also introduce new offences concerning the modification of firearms such as sawing off a shotgun and increase fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts. I also intend to introduce a statutory basis for an amnesty during which firearms may be surrendered to the Garda Síochána before new penalties, and minimum mandatory sentences, are introduced. This will enable those in possession of firearms, who are not in compliance with the legal requirements, to regularise their position, and enable the Garda Síochána to concentrate on more serious offenders.

709. Mr. Connolly asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his views on the 23 fatal shootings that have occurred since Ireland was declared officially safe by European standards a year ago; if it is proposed to strengthen the firearms laws to deal with the escalating rate of armed murders; if additional full-time gardaí will be recruited towards this objective; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11116/06]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): In order to ensure public safety and security, I propose to introduce a wide range of amendments to the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2000 in the context of the Criminal Justice Bill 2004, which is before the Dáil.

Included in these new proposals will be measures which will create mandatory minimum sentences, of between five and ten years, for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle and use or production of a firearm to resist arrest. Provision will be made to require all persons, wishing to hold a firearm legally, to satisfy the Garda that they have provided secure accommodation for the firearm. The Minister will be allowed to deem certain firearms as “restricted” by reference to specific criteria, including the calibre, action type and muzzle energy of the firearm. In future, any person wishing to obtain a certificate for such a firearm will need to apply directly to the Garda Commissioner. New offences will be introduced concerning the modification of firearms such as “sawing off” a shotgun. It is proposed to increase fines and penalties generally for offences under the Firearms Acts.

I also intend to introduce a statutory basis for an amnesty during which firearms may be surrendered to the Garda Síochána before new penalties, and minimum mandatory sentences, are introduced. This will enable those in possession of firearms, who are not in compliance with the legal requirements, to regularise their position, and thus enable the Garda Síochána to concentrate on more serious offenders.

Every effort is made by the Garda Síochána to combat the illegal importation, sale and possession of firearms through intelligence-led operations and activities. Operation Anvil, launched in May last year and aimed at those involved in gun crime of any kind, is one of the most intensive special policing operations ever undertaken in the State. It is intelligence-driven and has significant levels of Garda resources. The Garda Síochána is receiving resources this year to continue Operation Anvil as long as it is deemed necessary in operational policing terms and I have asked the Commissioner to extend it to Garda divisions outside Dublin.

Operation Anvil contributed to the increase of 16% in the detection of possession of firearms in 2005. Up to 19 February 2006, Operation Anvil resulted in more than 1,600 arrests, including 23 for murder, more than 13,200 searches, including 360 searches for firearms that resulted in 359 firearms seized or recovered, and the recovery of property with a value of €5.7 million.

The Garda Síochána this year has the highest level of resources in its history - €1,290 million, an increase of €146 million, 13%, on 2005. The provision for Garda overtime in 2006 is €83.5 million - an increase of €23 million on the allocation for 2005. This increase will greatly assist the planned deployment of a visible policing service in a flexible, effective and targeted response to criminal activity and to crime prevention, including gun crimes. The €83.5 million in overtime will yield 2.725 million extra hours of policing by uniformed and special units throughout the State.

I take great satisfaction in the Government’s decision of October 2004 to approve the recruitment of 2,000 additional gardaí to increase the strength of the force to 14,000. As a result there will be a combined organisational strength, of both attested gardaí and recruits in training, of 14,000 by the end of this year. I have already promised that the additional gardaí will not be put on administrative duties but will be put directly into front-line, operational, high-visibility policing.

The Garda Commissioner is going to have a great time with the new applications.

Yup. You'd hope they remember to let him delegate the job to a nominated Garda, or the poor man will be run off his feet :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Yup. You'd hope they remember to let him delegate the job to a nominated Garda, or the poor man will be run off his feet :D

Not to mind the mileage he will be clocking up to answer in every dist court of the land,as to why he isnt granting certain firearms certs to shooters.:D

Advertisement