Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Rowland Genius

Options
  • 09-10-2019 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

His music is so good and stands the test of time

Not to mention the don't stand me down album

underrated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

He may have been but threw it all away when he appeared in what can only be described as Wedding lingerie on the cover of that album.

Myself and mate were out late on a Tuesday night a few years ago, the only place open was Whelan's, €15 in. Kevin Rowland dressed as a jockey on the decks, playing Northern Soul. There was us and 4 more=6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

He also "threw it all away" when he didn't release another Come on Eileen, but instead released Don't stand me down, with a lead single ten minutes long. Others would say he threw it all away when he introduced a fiddle and dungarees into a soul band.

I saw his DJ set at ATN last year and it was the highlight of the weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Torsevt wrote:
    His music is so good and stands the test of time

Torsevt wrote:
    Not to mention the don't stand me down album

Thank you for saying this. People like Paul Weller or say Ian Brown get called great talents by the British music press. And both were talented. Both Rowland was a different level. One of the great mavericks and great talents of British music since the 60s. Weller wrote most of his best songs by his early 20s in The Jam , and Brown and rest of The Stone Roses produced yes greatest debut album in British music but before and after The Stones Roses were average. Rowland was a greater talent then both , but just wasnt as cool as other British acts.
    Rowland is a greater talent then many others in British music. His first three albums are outstanding, one as diverse as another. But also completely different in image. Soul driven first album. The Celtic folk driven second album and slick pop in third album. Absolute genius with a small g. Hes not up there with a John Lennon or a Bowie. But he is definitely one of the greats of last 45 years. And is very underated. And also he is Irish in so many ways like many of the British greats eg The Beatles, The Smiths, Oasis, Jonny Rotten, Dusty Springfield, Elvis Costello, The Kinks, Boy George and many more. His parents are from Mayo the same county the Gallaghers brothers mother is from as well Steve Coogans family. A great underrated talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont Stand Me Down is not underrated by me anyway. Brilliant album.

I love too rye ay too but not Come on Eileen which he effectively stole from his old partner Kevin Archer. Only my opinion but i think his guilt for that and the song going so unexpectedly huge was possibly part of the reason why the following record was so determinedly uncommercial and all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Birneybau wrote: »
    He may have been but threw it all away when he appeared in what can only be described as Wedding lingerie on the cover of that album.

That album - My Beauty - has some great cover versions on it.
    noby wrote: »
    He also "threw it all away" when he didn't release another Come on Eileen, but instead released Don't stand me down, with a lead single ten minutes long. Others would say he threw it all away when he introduced a fiddle and dungarees into a soul band. .

This Is What She's Like was edited for the single release. They trimmed off eight minutes - runs for around 4:21 or so.

Don't Stand Me Down is in my all time top 5 albums. Brilliant record.

There's still people out there - usually hipsters - who dismiss them because of Come On Eileen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement