Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2010, 11:39   #1
HBK

Stone Temple Pilots - Stone temple Pilots 2010

It has been nine years since the Stone Temple Pilots released Shangri-La Dee Da, their fifth(and to be fair,worst album) along comes this little gem...

Where Tiny Music… had a lingering crush on grunge, No. 4 leaned on heavier riffs, and Shangri-La Dee Da worked in a psychedelic flavor, the band’s self-titled release greatly relies on a lot of familiar sounding riffs, harmonies, and melodies, although it still retains STP’s thumb print.

Stone Temple Pilots isn’t without its enjoyable moments, but for the majority of the record it unfortunately succumbs to classic rock syndrome: you can listen to an hour’s worth of enjoyable music, but very little of it actually stands out and leaves an impression.

Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now.

Roll on download & Olympia shows!
Advertisement
21-05-2010, 12:36   #2
Kess73

Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Big 60's and 70's vibe on the new album. Could not shake the feeling that the Beatles were listened to a lot during the making of this album, along with the likes of The Troggs, The Animals, Early Aerosmith, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Anyone hoping for another Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden,or Plush will be disappointed as that band is not on this album. If you are simply looking for anything that sounds like their hits, then avoid this.

But despite no stand out tracks as such, it manages alright due to all the songs being very listenable and melodic.

With sunny weather ahead, this could make for a good album to have playing whilst sitting outside and letting the world pass you by.
22-05-2010, 21:18   #3

Shangri-La Dee Da is my favourite STP album. The new album is fairly similiar to that with a sort of 70's sound to it. Listening to this album all day, its brilliant
22-05-2010, 22:30   #4
Futureadvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now.
Between the Lines is doing really well on American radio though.I've heard it pn Phantom quite a bit too.
22-05-2010, 23:25   #5
Kess73

Defo a good album for driving along in the sunshine.
Advertisement
26-05-2010, 12:31   #6
smackbunnybaby

Is this in shops now?
26-05-2010, 12:40   #7
Kess73

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackbunnybaby View Post
Is this in shops now?

Yep came out last week.

Pretty solid album. Had it and Lynyrd Skynyrd's God & Guns for company from Fota in Cork to Limerick last Sunday.

The only track on the album that I thought was a bit naff was Peacoat.
Thanks from:
26-05-2010, 15:47   #8
smackbunnybaby

Cheers Kess73.

Picked it up at lunch time listening now to it.

SW's Bowie 'influence' is really present on this. Also parts of Nirvana and Beatles. All good though.

I like it a lot so far (2nd listen only though).

I like Peacoat ;-)
26-05-2010, 17:01   #9

It's streaming online as well. Some lovely guitar tones on it, not sure what to make of it yet. Kind of reminds me of Vatican.... which is a cool album. I do like No. 4 I have to say over Vatican..., and Shangri la took a while to grow on me. I'll still pick this up.
They did a good version of between the lines on letterman recently too..
Looking forward to the gig if Scott's voice is on form...
Advertisement
16-09-2019, 17:16   #10
Granadino

For anyone interested. there's a remastered version of Purple coming out very soon on vinyl etc. Follows on from the remaster of Core. Both albums badly needed this, especially Purple.
Thanks from:
03-10-2019, 17:50   #11
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granadino View Post
For anyone interested. there's a remastered version of Purple coming out very soon on vinyl etc. Follows on from the remaster of Core. Both albums badly needed this, especially Purple.
I thought the Core remaster was kinda 'meh' TBH.

Louder drums and that's about all.
04-10-2019, 09:04   #12
Granadino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
I thought the Core remaster was kinda 'meh' TBH.

Louder drums and that's about all.
I thought it sounded better, in the car anyway. A bit more clarity. I bought the remaster and gave away my original copy, fool that I am. Purple in bad need of a remix or remaster, or both. Let's hope the reissue sounds better.
04-10-2019, 10:37   #13
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granadino View Post
I thought it sounded better, in the car anyway. A bit more clarity. I bought the remaster and gave away my original copy, fool that I am. Purple in bad need of a remix or remaster, or both. Let's hope the reissue sounds better.
It's sounds a bit more pristine alright. Purple could do with being cleaned up a bit such a great album.
07-10-2019, 11:59   #14
Granadino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
It's sounds a bit more pristine alright. Purple could do with being cleaned up a bit such a great album.
Checked again, and my original copy of Core survived the great CD cull of 2019. I'll hold onto it for old times sake, as the CD inlay is different to the remaster.
Purple will arrive in a few weeks. Original master sounds very dated, though some very good songs on it. Tiny Music and no 4 are my favourites I think.
07-10-2019, 12:06   #15
Earthhorse

Send a message via Yahoo to Earthhorse
Don't what the need for a Purple remaster is. Sounds perfectly good to me.

Has anyone listened to the album they released last year?

They're great musicians but they've never really to recreate what they had with Scott in the early years (I'm thinking Talkshow etc.).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion