Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Also, regarding the keeping track of and displaying each wrestler's win loss record: what a joke. It doesn't make sense when you look at certain wrestlers who are getting title matches, and if they try to adhere to the records it will only get in the way of their storylines (if they start any).

The same fans who think it's great would laugh WWE out of the building if WWE tried to implement match records.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I genuinely don't get why people are complaining about the win/loss thing. There's only been 6 shows so far. It's barely begun.

Also they were literally turning the win/loss thing into a story last week with Pac being annoyed about the Darby/Havoc match and his subsequent attack on Omega, which bled over to this weeks show. Like that's a story right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What's this uproar about the area behind the curtain being called the "dusty position" instead of the "gorilla position" ? I mean the gorilla position started as a WWE thing because of the aforementioned Gorilla and no other wrestling promotion is under any obligation to call what is behind the curtain as that name. I'm sick of this everyone getting annoyed for no reason.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What's this uproar about the area behind the curtain being called the "dusty position" instead of the "gorilla position" ? I mean the gorilla position started as a WWE thing because of the aforementioned Gorilla and no other wrestling promotion is under any obligation to call what is behind the curtain as that name. I'm sick of this everyone getting annoyed for no reason.
    Not that I care, but it's called the gorilla position because it's where Gorilla Monsoon used to sit, right by the curtain before the wrestlers went out.
    Calling it the Dusty position doesn't make sense.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Not that I care, but it's called the gorilla position because it's where Gorilla Monsoon used to sit, right by the curtain before the wrestlers went out.
    Calling it the Dusty position doesn't make sense.

"Not that I care" but yet you proceed to go and explain the origins of the term which I'd already done in my post that you quoted. I know that why WWE call it that. Why doesn't it make sense ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

sirmanga wrote: »
    Well, before that storyline began nobody gave a hoot about Batista.

AEW have done absolutely nothing to garner interest, storyline wise. I mean, where are the characters? How would I describe the people on the roster to a friend who I was trying to get to watch. "he's a great wrestler. And so is he. And him too." I'm not saying I want everyone to be bin men or tax collectors. But a variety of characters would be nice.

Are there any moments from the first 3 episodes where you would scramble to re watch on YouTube. No, because it's all matches.
    How about, I dunno, have Jericho come out and hold up the company for more money or else he won't be at the PPV, because he knows he's the main draw. Anything. But all we have is "I want to wrestle you and beat you and take your belt."
    They should have had the start of a major angle on their very first show. What did we get? A run in.

From the sound of it, you are very happy with WWE's policy of Youtube moments interspersed with some (occasionally excellent) wrestling.

Lots of people aren't.

If AEW were to start doing the things you're talking about, they would just be WWE lite and lose most everything that is appealing to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Dusty position in AEW, people will know why it's been named that if they follow Cody on Twitter or Instagram.. Nice tribute to his father really..

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    "Not that I care" but yet you proceed to go and explain the origins of the term which I'd already done in my post that you quoted. I know that why WWE call it that. Why doesn't it make sense ?

Well, actually no, you just said it was named after Gorilla, but not why. The fact that he used to sit at that position is wholly relevant.
    It's like in a local park, if you have a pond or whatever named after some old dude who used to sit and feed the ducks there. "Larry's Pond" or whatever. And then I go and set up my own park and name the pond after my late father, who never used to actually sit at a pond or feed ducks. It should just be called a pond. Similarly, i think people just think AEW should call their Gorilla position simply "at the curtain" or "backstage".
    But, as I said, I really don't care. I'm just explaining why people have an issue with it.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Dusty position in AEW, people will know why it's been named that if they follow Cody on Twitter or Instagram.. Nice tribute to his father really..

Ive no issue with it all and like you said it's a nice tribute to his dad. I mean dusty sat in the control room at the JCP tapings in Atlanta for years and I don't know if it ever had a name similar to the gorilla position so this might be a nice way to change that.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    From the sound of it, you are very happy with WWE's policy of Youtube moments interspersed with some (occasionally excellent) wrestling.

Lots of people aren't.

If AEW were to start doing the things you're talking about, they would just be WWE lite and lose most everything that is appealing to the rest of us.

That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. I want AEW to be different to everything else. WWE have awful storylines. What separates AEW? Great wrestling? I can get great wrestling on NXT, NJPW, ROH, Impact, NWA, etc.
    They need storylines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I genuinely don't get why people are complaining about the win/loss thing. There's only been 6 shows so far. It's barely begun.

Also they were literally turning the win/loss thing into a story last week with Pac being annoyed about the Darby/Havoc match and his subsequent attack on Omega, which bled over to this weeks show. Like that's a story right there.

The fact it's only week three of TV and they've had a title match already because of the win/lose records is my biggest gripe with it.

They had to come out with the whole "quality of wins/matches count" when others questioned why two mid cards were getting a number one contenders match so soon. Fair enough if you want to use it to tell a story, but you could have waited a couple of weeks seeing as we've still got three weeks of TV before the next PPV.

Have the number one contenders match at Full Gear, Havoc and Darby might not have much on that night and could have given them some extra wins between week two and the PPV to make people more invested in that match. PAC could still cut promos about why Cody is getting the first title match and how he deserves a title match.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

3 for 3 that was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wouldn't mind if that ref, Aubrey Edwards, dialled it back a bit. In the main event and the Lucha Bros match.
    And it's been pointed out when it happens in WWE, but what was with the rope break in a street fight?

Darby Allin vs Orange Cassidy in a hands in pocket match?

What does the "Overall" part of the record mean? Like (The artists formerly known as)LAX had 0-0 with 1-0 Overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if that ref, Aubrey Edwards, dialled it back a bit. In the main event and the Lucha Bros match.
    And it's been pointed out when it happens in WWE, but what was with the rope break in a street fight?

Darby Allin vs Orange Cassidy in a hands in pocket match?

What does the "Overall" part of the record mean? Like (The artists formerly known as)LAX had 0-0 with 1-0 Overall.

Singles and tags. The overall is the summary of the 2. That's my understanding at least and am open to correction

Possibly due to their match teaming with Jericho

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Singles and tags. The overall is the summary of the 2. That's my understanding at least and am open to correction

And Triple Threats, they actually have the numbers on the roster page of their website (https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And Triple Threats, they actually have the numbers on the roster page of their website (https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster)...

8 man tags too. They seem to show singles, tags and trios. Everything else is lumped in to overall.

I thought the commentary did a good job of stating the rules for the street fighter, mentioning rope breaks are still in effect. I thought it was silly but they set the rules.

Anyone else watch it on Fite TV. Sometimes the commentary don't realise they are still mic'd during ad breaks. JR telling Excalibur to get the name Inner Circle over, planning who says what etc, kinda fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

rizzla wrote: »

Anyone else watch it on Fite TV. Sometimes the commentary don't realise they are still mic'd during ad breaks. JR telling Excalibur to get the name Inner Circle over, planning who says what etc, kinda fun.

The other two need to pull JR and tell him it's Jungle Boy, that's what his name is. Not Jungle Jack Boy, Jungle Jack Perry, Jungle Boy Jack or whatever else he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Strongly disagree. I think it adds to the sports-like vibe they are going for. It reminds of MMA, how you've fighters who are known & promoted by & compete under their nicknames, like Shogun Rua or Mirko Cro-cop, but the announcers will still say Mauricio Rua or Mirko Filipovic from time to time. Unless we are supposed to believe his given name is Jungleboy, what's the harm?

I have seen the sentiment a little bit online mind, I put it down to decades of being conditioned by Vince to sticking to strict parameters. For example, I guarantee you the announcers aren't allowed call Shorty Gable by the name Chad anymore. So weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is Cody trying to be the new Ric Flair?

I'm enjoying it all so far but the odd story line here and there wouldn't go amiss. It's like watching a weekly PPV sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The other two need to pull JR and tell him it's Jungle Boy, that's what his name is. Not Jungle Jack Boy, Jungle Jack Perry, Jungle Boy Jack or whatever else he says.

I like that JR calls hims that

He clearly knows its not his name but the Jumping Jack is great
    Its meant in friendly terms and pretty sure Jungle Boy and others have indicated they love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Really enjoying the fact there's barely any ridiculous storylines or backstage skits so far on AEW programming. Can see it's not everyone's cup of tea but the WWE sports entertainment style is there to cater for storyline, backstage stuff for those who want that.

I watch wrestling for the in-ring action so love AEW's style of match after match and use of video packages, similar to NJPW, hopefully it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Anyone know what DDP's role is within AEW? Is an agent? A trainer? Yoga expert?

Anyone know what DDP's role is within AEW? Is an agent? A trainer? Yoga expert?

All 3 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Kenny Omega defeated Rey Fenix for the AAA Mega Championship at Heroes Inmortales last night. Was a quality match, great to see the Best Bout Machine Omega starting to re-emerge in recent weeks. Wonder will the switch be mentioned on Dynamite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Kenny Omega defeated Rey Fenix for the AAA Mega Championship at Heroes Inmortales last night. Was a quality match, great to see the Best Bout Machine Omega starting to re-emerge in recent weeks. Wonder will the switch be mentioned on Dynamite?

Kenny is such a great performer
    Really looking forward to his feud with Mox

This partnership of sorts with AAA and Aew is great

Was reported when the Lucha Bros took the AAA titles back off the Bucks at the last PPV that they would not be mentioning them or other outside titles once they debuted on TNT so as not to confuse the audience.

I believe they have not mentioned them once. Nor did they mention Moxley's NJPW US title. So suspect there will be no mention of this title.

Probably for the best. Anyone starting watching on TNT may be put off of they feel they're missing something even though they watch every episode.

I agree. I think it's cleaner. AEW should be its own universe, pardon the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starting straight into a match no 20 minutes of sh1t promos talking in the ring.

Advertisement