Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment Reporting

Options
  • 16-10-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've been hearing stories of some schools going down the rabbit hole when it comes to teachers creating reports for say Christmas examinations. (Second Level teaching).

Gone are the days of actually giving the grade and comment, but now teachers are expected to give a report similar to that of a primary school student. For instance an Irish teacher would have to create a report on:

1. Subject grade
    2. Punctuality
    3. Creativity
    4. Attendance
    5. Wellbeing
    6. Presentation of self
    7. Presentation of work
    8. Organisation
    9. Homework

(all to be graded and commented on)

Then once you've gone through all those click down options or back tracked to confirm the details, said teacher needs to input personal comments in ways student can improve and another separate comment on what the student is doing well.

It seems like an extraordinary amount of extra work just for one individual student. I'd imagine it would be very time consuming considering the amount of classes that an average second level teacher would have.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

I've been hearing stories of some schools going down the rabbit hole when it comes to teachers creating reports for say Christmas examinations. (Second Level teaching).

Gone are the days of actually giving the grade and comment, but now teachers are expected to give a report similar to that of a primary school student. For instance an Irish teacher would have to create a report on:

1. Subject grade
    2. Punctuality
    3. Creativity
    4. Attendance
    5. Wellbeing
    6. Presentation of self
    7. Presentation of work
    8. Organisation
    9. Homework

(all to be graded and commented on)

Then once you've gone through all those click down options or back tracked to confirm the details, said teacher needs to input personal comments in ways student can improve and another separate comment on what the student is doing well.

It seems like an extraordinary amount of extra work just for one individual student. I'd imagine it would be very time consuming considering the amount of classes that an average second level teacher would have.

We got rid of the drop down box nonsense.
    Grade + 2 stars and a wish type thing.

If parents need to be notified about behaviour and punctuality in a report then things have already been left too long.

More Box ticking nonsense for school tracking SSE Looking at our schools I suppose.

It's all about measurement nowadays. If a teacher doesn't measure up they get sent for 're-education'. Sometimes I feel we as teachers are on a constant treadmill of re-education.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Treppen wrote: »

If parents need to be notified about behaviour and punctuality in a report then things have already been left too long.

More Box ticking nonsense for school tracking SSE Looking at our schools I suppose.

It's all about measurement nowadays. If a teacher doesn't measure up they get sent for 're-education'. Sometimes I feel we as teachers are on a constant treadmill of re-education.

Mind if I PM you about the grade +two star thing?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Mind if I PM you about the grade +two star thing?

Sure, it's not exactly that but just say what they are good at (there must be something) and things to work on to improve grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The corrections needed to fill in a Christmas report are more than enough in my book, we got instructions about 2 stars and a wish type comments for our summer reports....hadnt we enough to be doing. I doubt the kids would read them and take any notice when they were facing into three months off. Am allergic to 2 stars and a wish at this stage 😒

solerina wrote: »
    The corrections needed to fill in a Christmas report are more than enough in my book, we got instructions about 2 stars and a wish type comments for our summer reports....hadnt we enough to be doing. I doubt the kids would read them and take any notice when they were facing into three months off. Am allergic to 2 stars and a wish at this stage 😒

Corrections? Are you still writing reports by hand?

It's not as prescriptive as 2 stars, just be positive and focus in what needs work. Actually we are allowed say what we want but it was suggested in a staff meeting after we rejected the drop down phrase nonsense . Stuff like "pleasure to teach" or "could do better" is roll-eyes territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Corrections? Are you still writing reports by hand?

It's not as prescriptive as 2 stars, just be positive and focus in what needs work. Actually we are allowed say what we want but it was suggested in a staff meeting after we rejected the drop down phrase nonsense . Stuff like "pleasure to teach" or "could do better" is roll-eyes territory.

God no, I meant the exam script corrections not the reports, they are done on VS Ware.

solerina wrote: »
    God no, I meant the exam script corrections not the reports, they are done on VS Ware.

I remember we used to write reports by hand with the same special pen. When someone made a mistake everyone had to write the report out again :pac:

Advertisement