Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual subscriptions to professional bodies

Options
  • 16-10-2019 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Are annual subscription payments to professional bodies e.g. architects Ireland, institution of chartered accounts etc that are made by Paye employees direct as opposed to employers a tax deductible expense that could be included on a form 11/12 tax return.....if they are then how many years would it be possible to claim relief claim on. I myself have paid out fees for over ten years without any contribution from my employer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭clarkey1980

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Are annual subscription payments to professional bodies e.g. architects Ireland, institution of chartered accounts etc that are made by Paye employees direct as opposed to employers a tax deductible expense that could be included on a form 11/12 tax return.....if they are then how many years would it be possible to claim relief claim on. I myself have paid out fees for over ten years without any contribution from my employer

The general rule as to the deductibility of expenses in computing the amount chargeable under Schedule E is that the expense must be wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred by the holder of an office or employment in the performance of the duties of the office or employment.

Is membership of the body a condition of your employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tough one to get unless its a condition of employment: 4 years is max look back

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I've always found this one confusing. If I am employed at a high level management position e.g. Financial Controller of a large company, there is no way I would be hired without my professional qualifications. So is it necessarily incurred then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Emma2019 wrote: »
    I've always found this one confusing. If I am employed at a high level management position e.g. Financial Controller of a large company, there is no way I would be hired without my professional qualifications. So is it necessarily incurred then?

No because it would need to say you must be a member of say ICAI, or ACCA, or CIMA etc and then you must pay that sub.
    The clampdown was in part due to abuse for things like golf subs

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement