Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headfort

Options
  • 13-10-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Any Headfort members here
    Thinking of joining
    Few questions, are many comps played on the new course ? Is there comps Saturdays & Sundays ? Is it very difficult to get an early slot at the weekends ?
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

More comps played on the New compared to the Old when I was a member.

Comps both days and a Tuesday open during the summer. Not sure if they changed it but they started having a comp on both courses on a Sunday to give people more of a chance to get out early.

Timesheets were usually very busy but if you got in early in the weeks it was easy enough to get out early enough. The team events on the Old filled up a little quicker.

* Most of my info is a bit outdated and may not still apply

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Would also be interested in any responses on this, strongly considering a move there. Thanks for any input you may have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Moving out this way shortly and will be joining headfort aswell. From memory the new course gets a little wet in the winter. It has huge membership so id expect timesheet to fill up very fast when dates released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

dar_cool wrote: »
    Moving out this way shortly and will be joining headfort aswell. From memory the new course gets a little wet in the winter. It has huge membership so id expect timesheet to fill up very fast when dates released
    Just over 1,000 full ordinary members, students and juniors ( 200 or so) and other smaller brackets bring it up to about 1,350 members.

It can get flooded in places due to the sheer amount of water on the course but it's really surprising how quickly it dry's out, generally if its closed for heavy rain so is every other course and its open when others are closed more often than not.

On the new during the winter the 11th is replaced with a temp 18a using the putting green and a mat, ( 120yds or so). Temp greens are sometimes used on the 8th during hard frost.

On the Old temp greens and some temp tee's are used, more so than the New course. Generally the greens are quicker on the Old during the summer so I suppose thats the trade off.

For a mid week casual you will nearly always get a time on the New but not sometimes the Old has a womans or overs 50's comp which with the short hours in the winter basically block it for the day.

They look after they're juniors members with camps,advice and competitions and some free on course lessons from time to time.

The membership wouldn't have a set personality, it's a very mixed bag. From your working class right the way up to large business owners and from junior right up to the older generation.

The office staff are very helpful and will always seem to go the extra mile to help with anything you need.

They have some payments plans available but they could have changed since I was a member. I know they introduced some under 35's and intermediate memberships at a reduced cost the caveat being less playing rights.

The pro shop is well stocked but I find it expensive. The pro's have changed quite a bit since I was a member so can't comment on them.

Can't think of anything else relevant, I don't really drink and only had food the once there seeing as I live 5 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I play there regularly with a member, and very rarely happens that we dont get a usable tee time.

In winter, the old will be quite busy, you will always get out on the new. The new is always playable when wet, but any excuse for frost there will be temps in play on most holes. - that's if you get out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Great news for Headfort Golf Club with confirmation that they will host the Irish Challenge on the European Challenge Tour from October 10th to 13th. Looking forward to heading up too touch wood!

I'm a member there and heard that over the weekend. Great news indeed. Hopefully we will have a decent summer and course be in top condition come October.

Spent the morning down in Headfort for the 2nd round of the challenge tour. Course is in stunning condition. Pity about all the rain we got as there is 0 run on the ball and lift clean and place on the fairways. Rough is properly penal and with the wet it is proving very difficult Followed Cormac Sharvins group around and he played some solid golf. Lovely chip in eagle on 2 and eagle on 16 were the highlights. Some of the lines they are taking off the tees are crazy. Hugging the trees on the left on 1. Up over the trees on 2 leaving no more than 170/180 in to 520 yard par 5. Great to be able to follow them up close with no ropes.

Advertisement