Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recently Married Yet another tax question

• 10-10-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, sorry to say I am totally ignorant when it comes to tax.

I married my gal in Feb 2018, but we only got round to informing revenue of our new status this month. I see we have the ability to divvy out the tax credits online now.

Can someone advise what would be the best way to split them to max benefit us. Jointly accessed. As we did it online I have all the credits currently, obviously not the way to go :)

Both working full time, with 3 kids under 12. Renting

Me 52.5k a year
    Herself 41.5k a years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Hi folks, sorry to say I am totally ignorant when it comes to tax.

I married my gal in Feb 2018, but we only got round to informing revenue of our new status this month. I see we have the ability to divvy out the tax credits online now.

Can someone advise what would be the best way to split them to max benefit us. Jointly accessed. As we did it online I have all the credits currently, obviously not the way to go :)

Both working full time, with 3 kids under 12. Renting

Me 52.5k a year
    Herself 41.5k a years

50/50 split as both of you will use up both your credits and rate band on those incomes. Your children and accommodation status have no impact here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

As mentioned going forward how you split the tax credits and cut off won't make a difference as both are over thresholds, however you can go back and claim for overpayments of tax in 2018 if one your salaries were significantly lower or your wife was on maternity leave etc.

Advertisement