Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What material are these counter tops made of ?

• 27-09-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

See the attached photos of the counter-tops in a new-build. Can anyone tell me what these are made of ? Would they just we wood laminated with some sort of plastic or something else ? I'm trying to figure out how to care for them and what to use to clean them. Will exposure to water damage them in the long term ? I just find it a bit odd that the tap for example isn't surrounded by a metal draining board, so every time I wash my hands I'll leave a little pool of water on the counter-top just by turning off the tap with my wet hands. Similarly its almost guaranteed that pots on the range will boil over from time to time, will this ruin the counter top over time or is it made of some sort of material that is resistant to water etc. Also, what should I be using to clean them ? When I look at various cleaners in the shops they say don't use on X,Y,Z so I dont know if they are safe to use on these counter tops until I can figure out what they are made of.

Thanks,

Zozo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

You've no photos attached

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ZoZoZo

Doop wrote: »
    You've no photos attached
    That might explain the lack of replies!
    Attached below, so any ideas of what these are made of or are they just wood with a plastic veneer of some sort ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ZoZoZo wrote: »
    That might explain the lack of replies!
    Attached below, so any ideas of what these are made of or are they just wood with a plastic veneer of some sort ?
    You can't really see anything in those photos. You need to be close to see the "grain". The underside is always good to see too.

I'd surmise that it is synthetic stone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Corian?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Could simply be formica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Can you not just ask the company that fitted the kitchen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ill go with Corian or similar nobody in their right minds would put an under mounted sink in Formica worktop. For cleaning just use hot water with a splash of vinegar and a little lemon juice try it and see don't be bothered getting all these cleaners on the market. Its not recommended to be leaving hot pots on the worktop, water or hot water wont effect it. As for the tap that's the way they go with under mounted sinks. You should get stainless steel worktop savers for pots you might come across things called hot rod worktop savers you have to get groves cut into the worktop for them. If its Corian it will scratch over time don't worry Corian can be re polished back to new its not a diy job unless you know what your at. Nice kitchen. If you don't use the vinegar and lemon juice any of the kitchen surface cleaners are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Could be Krion also , same as Corian pretty much.

Advertisement