Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birder visiting Ireland in October

• 26-09-2019 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was hoping someone could help with this, I know someone who's visiting Ireland next month and they've asked if anyone could help them with some info on bird watching around Ireland.
    I know she'll be in Dublin and Wicklow for a few days but will be in other, undecided as of yet, areas.

She sent a wishlist which I've attached. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Dipper - Dodder river in Dublin, or if you're in the wicklow mountains worth checking any bridges you pass over.
    Tufted Duck - can be gotten on ponds in Phoenix Park, UCD etc. Otherwise you'll need an inland lake somewhere - not too common on the coast.
    Eider - Skerries is teh only somewhat reliable spot on the east coast.

Long-tailed Duck, Velvet Scoter, Smew - chances of seeing these are very low, I'd leave them off the list and prioritise everything else.

Great-crested Grebe - off the piers in Dun Laoghaire, otherwise Vartry reservoir or some of the other big lakes inland in Wicklow.

Ringed Plover - good chance along any quiet rocky/sandy beach - Bull Island, Rogerstown, broadmeadows estuaries.

Lapwing - Bull Island, east coast nature reserve in Wicklow, Rogerstown estuary.

Snipe - tricky one to see - same sites as above for Lapwing.

Razorbill - off shore (winter plumage) from Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Broadmeadows Estuary, greystones.

Great SPotted Woodpecker - hard one to guarantee - East Coast Nature Reserve in Wicklow worth a look though.

Swallow - getting late for them at that point but you'll find one or two if you keep an eye out.

Yellowhammer - Rogerstown.

Jay, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit - Phoenix Park or Glendalough.

Other few passerines there - keep an eye out - a bit late for Chifchaff but might still get one.

Chough - nowhere on the east coast - hook head in Wexford, or otherwise the south or west coasts.

On the bottom list - Puffin will be very hard to find at that time of year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dippers can often be seen just downstream from Clara Vale bridge and I've heard (but not seen unfortunately) woodpeckers in the Clara Vale Nature Reserve.

There'll be some razorbills on the rocks a short distance along the Bray-Greystones cliff path from the Bray end.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Dipper - Dodder river in Dublin, or if you're in the wicklow mountains worth checking any bridges you pass over.
    Tufted Duck - can be gotten on ponds in Phoenix Park, UCD etc. Otherwise you'll need an inland lake somewhere - not too common on the coast.
    Eider - Skerries is teh only somewhat reliable spot on the east coast.

Long-tailed Duck, Velvet Scoter, Smew - chances of seeing these are very low, I'd leave them off the list and prioritise everything else.

Great-crested Grebe - off the piers in Dun Laoghaire, otherwise Vartry reservoir or some of the other big lakes inland in Wicklow.

Ringed Plover - good chance along any quiet rocky/sandy beach - Bull Island, Rogerstown, broadmeadows estuaries.

Lapwing - Bull Island, east coast nature reserve in Wicklow, Rogerstown estuary.

Razorbill - off shore (winter plumage) from Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Broadmeadows Estuary, greystones.

Great SPotted Woodpecker - hard one to guarantee - East Coast Nature Reserve in Wicklow worth a look though.

Swallow - getting late for them at that point but you'll find one or two if you keep an eye out.

Yellowhammer - Rogerstown.

Jay, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit - Phoenix Park or Glendalough.

Other few passerines there - keep an eye out - a bit late for Chifchaff but might still get one.

Chough - nowhere on the east coast - hook head in Wexford, or otherwise the south or west coasts.

On the bottom list - Puffin will be very hard to find at that time of year!
    Alun wrote: »
    Dippers can often be seen just downstream from Clara Vale bridge and I've heard (but not seen unfortunately) woodpeckers in the Clara Vale Nature Reserve.

There'll be some razorbills on the rocks a short distance along the Bray-Greystones cliff path from the Bray end.

Wow thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. She'll be delighted with this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A trip by train from Dublin to Rosslare should not be missed if your friend has time. I use the rail service regularly and today was particularly rewarding. Even walking down to the station at Enniscorthy I spotted a heron in the River Slaney and while waiting on the platform four Mute Swans did a close fly past.

South of Avoca I spotted 3 Red Kites (at two different locations) and very close to the train. The fields in the Vale of Avoca were full of the usual variety of wood pigeons, crows and pheasants. At this time of year the cliffs between Greystones and Bray are fairly devoid of bird life, but a couple of weeks ago I spotted a heron in the grass above the old Naylor's Cove in Bray.

On the return journey I noted the mudflats and grassy area just south of Merrion Gates were teeming with birds including quite a number of Little Egrets. I didn't look out at Booterstown Marsh but it is also usually good for Little Egrets.

Not much to see on the seaward side of the line south of Greystones today but the usual varieties of waterfowl were present on the inland side of the line. North of Rathdrum Red Kites again and several Buzzards were noted in close proximity to the line. As I say, this rail route is a great way to have a brief encounter with a wide variety of birds and perhaps encourage a birdwatcher to return and explore the area more fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Snipe...almost garanteed in Booterstown marsh (good views) and very likely in the flooded fields at ECNR

• Advertisement

For Tree Creeper where I have been most successful is in Tomnafinogue, which can also produce Jay and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I forgot..she may want to check the Birdwatch Ireland website for outings i.e. the South Dublin branch goes to Kilcoole the first Sunday of October where she will be likely to get many of those species listed. Events are free, open to all and everyone is very welcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Dipper on the Dodder at Bushy Park

Advertisement