Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not a bad time for a new thread, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Knex. wrote: »
    Not a bad time for a new thread, all things considered.

Unless we drop points to Gibraltar, then we may reach 10k posts in record time. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Unless we drop points to Gibraltar, then we may reach 10k posts in record time. :o

If we drop points to Gibraltar the whole team should be shot
    Its the humane thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Sin City wrote: »
    If we drop points to Gibraltar the whole team should be shot
    Its the humane thing to do

As bad as we are and as little quality we have up front even this Ireland team should have enough to get a couple of goals and win in Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jesus Christ we're really at our lowest ebb when you have lads worried about Gibraltar, a place with a population of about 30,000 people.

It'd be like Bray having a national side.

We're going to hammer them by 4 or 5 goals easily so ye can stop wetting the bed with worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jon Walters officially announces his retirement from football.

https://twitter.com/JonWalters19/status/1109119180152938501

One of the best servants to the green jersey we have had in the last few years. Seems like an absolutely sound lad too that you could go for a pint with. Cheers for the memories Jon!

Jon Walters officially announces his retirement from football.

https://twitter.com/JonWalters19/status/1109119180152938501

One of the best servants to the green jersey we have had in the last few years. Seems like an absolutely sound lad too that you could go for a pint with. Cheers for the memories Jon!

I could not agree more. I wish him all the best and thanks for so many great performances when pulling on the green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jon was always a very underrated player.

He was essentially a Premier League regular for 8 seasons in a row and had over 40 goals and 20 assists in that time playing in a number of different positions for Stoke. Also 14 in 54 for Ireland is a fairly good record too all things considered.

He might not have been the most naturally gifted of players, but you'd struggle to find anyone who worked harder than he did and every time he stepped on the field he gave it everything, always emptying the tank. People will say that should be a given, and it should, but these days it's an increasingly rare trait.

Good luck Jon and thanks for the memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Walters has been one of my favourite players of this era. His commitment to the cause was always guaranteed and you knew he'd put in a shift.

I think the Bosnia game will go down as his finest moment in a green jersey.

Wish him all the best.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People will deride the granny rule (perhaps somewhat justifiably), but the likes of Jon Walters shows you can get genuinely dedicated players through it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

GLaDOS wrote: »
    People will deride the granny rule (perhaps somewhat justifiably), but the likes of Jon Walters shows you can get genuinely dedicated players through it.

I think his mother was from Dublin. He's spoken in the past about how she died when he was young and when he plays for Ireland he's honouring her memory as well.

I've no doubt his commitment was on a par with any Irish-born player.

I think his mother was from Dublin. He's spoken in the past about how she died when he was young and when he plays for Ireland he's honouring her memory as well.

I've no doubt his commitment was on a par with any Irish-born player.

I think your right there both on his mother and his commitment to the green.

Mick confirms Coleman will start and captain the side tomorrow. With that in mind I think we may line up like this:

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Doherty Hendrick Hourihane Brady
    McGoldrick
    Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Unless Hendrick and Brady have been spectacular in training this week, I cant see either of them starting. He seems more keen on Alan Judge having talked him up a number of times in recent weeks and I feel he might opt for Whelan on recent form having also talked him up. Particularly if Hourihane also starts as theyre familiar from playing together at Villa, something else Mick pointed out.

...and rightly so. The pair havent done anything for club and country for over 2 years now. They need to compete for a place against those in form.

Don't think Whelan would play two games in a short space of time and out of both games I can see him playing against Georgia. People might take the mickey out of him but he's been in great form for Villa lately and getting good praise from the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Classy stuff from the Germans. Was a great player, will be missed

Unless Hendrick and Brady have been spectacular in training this week, I cant see either of them starting. He seems more keen on Alan Judge having talked him up a number of times in recent weeks and I feel he might opt for Whelan on recent form having also talked him up. Particularly if Hourihane also starts as theyre familiar from playing together at Villa, something else Mick pointed out.

...and rightly so. The pair havent done anything for club and country for over 2 years now. They need to compete for a place against those in form.

I can see what you mean but as posted above I would leave Whelan for the Georgia game, I don't think we need such a defensive midfielder against Gibraltar. McClean could easily start over Brady but I would be thinking Brady needs game time as he is struggling to get a start at Burnley at the moment.

Might be controversial to say but I think Brady and Hendrick are two of our best midfielders, god knows the last time I have seen either of them perform well, but I think they have it inside them to perform to a higher level than most of our other options and I think if we are to push on they will be two players we need to get the best out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Walters

What’s the story Roy? If you’ve got a problem say it to my face, don’t f***ing walk off’

I know who i'd be picking in that fight and it wouldn't be the lad from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gibraltar will be feeling up for this game. Reckon they have a decent chance of a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Gibraltar will be feeling up for this game. Reckon they have a decent chance of a result.

Didn't you post that in the old thread too? Do you realise just how weak Gibraltar are?

Didn't you post that in the old thread too? Do you realise just how weak Gibraltar are?

They've had a couple of good results against Latvia and Andorra recently.

They beat Latvia who are the same level as Ireland in my opiinion so it will be a battle and probably a nail biting finish.

Should be an exciting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cheers for the memories Jon!

One of the fans favourites for sure.
    He gave everything wearing the jersey. A true pro.
    There was a pic on one of the papers the day after his brace helped us qualify for the Euros in 2016.
    It was a far away pic of the Aviva with only him in the middle of the pitch on the phone. It was fantastic. Anyone else remember it?
    I can only find the below zoomed in pic.

Jon-Walters-beer.jpg

Edit - Actually, the next day the Bataclan massacre was all over the papers :(
    I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the photo somewhere though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

They've had a couple of good results against Latvia and Andorra recently.

They beat Latvia who are the same level as Ireland so it will be a battle and probably a nail biting finish.

Should be an exciting game.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how high are you right now comparing Ireland and Latvia ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Walters....a man who wore the shirt with pride. Many should follow his example

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I met him on holidays 16 years ago when he played for the underage teams. He was telling me he played for Ireland and I wouldn’t believe him.

I was asking him the managers name and he didn’t know it. I took a photo with him that night.

He proved me wrong anyway and it’s a nice anecdote to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Big Jonny Walters. A legend.

He's spilling the beans on the end of the MON era on Virgin at the moment. Has essentially said the Keane incident that was linked in the Stephen Ward WhatsApp message was a huge part of the mood around the squad dropping. Said the leaked version was actually quite mild in comparison to what actually happened

Also going to add that he's quite a dashing looking fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Class from the Germans. Wish Jonny every success in the future, has been absolute legend for the senior squad over the years, a personal favourite and a player who left it all on the pitch no matter the opposition. Highlights are of course the Bosnia game, holding Germany back with his arse and putting Keane the ****house firmly in his box. Thanks for the memories, Jon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Big Jonny Walters. A legend.

He's spilling the beans on the end of the MON era on Virgin at the moment. Has essentially said the Keane incident that was linked in the Stephen Ward WhatsApp message was a huge part of the mood around the squad dropping. Said the leaked version was actually quite mild in comparison to what actually happened

Also going to add that he's quite a dashing looking fellow.

All the more reason why I think Mick was brought in before Kenny gets the job. Obviously with the qualifiers being so close they thought Mick would be a quick fix for this campaign but also think he was mainly brought in to also help improve the mood in the camp before Kenny starts his tenure with the senior team.

Whatever about peoples opinions on the manager and his successor being named together and that Kenny was only announced to appease some fans, I think imo he will hopefully try and change up the style of play in the senior team and bring through some young players from the underage teams who play some lovely passing football most of the time and I think trying to do those changes right now during this campaign would have been a huge disaster waiting to happen.

Not to say that he's gonna try makes us play tiki taka or total football but we've got some midfielders coming through now and Lee O'Connor in defence whose played a lot in midfield, that if they make the step up to senior will allow us to hold onto the ball more against certain teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Without being too outlandish, in terms of commitment, never deviating below 7 out of 10 performances, and scoring important goals, Walters is as good a player we've had for what he brought tl the plate. Certainly the best exponent of his designated role anyway.

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A good win against Georgia will surely get the teams confidence up considering how much we have struggled against them recently. Im just looking forward to seeing how we go about the game, at least we will be giving it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Savage wind there this could upset our hoofball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we’ll win both matches.
    The Mc Carthy bounce will be telling.
    I would have liked if O’Dowda was fit though.

Two evenly matched teams tonight.

Gibraltar know we will have a go at them and they will have a go at us and it will be a hard fought game with a result probably for either side.

Hard to call.

Should be an exciting game though.

Gibraltar know we will have a go at them and they will have a go at us and it will be a hard fought game with a result probably for either side.

Hard to call.

Gibraltar are 40/1 to win this game. They are minnows, mostly amateur and semi pro players. Danny Higginbottom said during the week that there is only one pitch in Gibraltar between all of the clubs which they have to share for training and matches, this means they all get very little time each week to train on a pitch and most of their training is jist fitness work.

The Ireland squad is the weakest it's been in a while but we should be beating these comfortably enough. Hard to call it most certainly isn't, unless I've missed some kind of sarcasm I'll have some of whatever you're smoking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Gibraltar are 40/1 to win this game. They are minnows, mostly amateur and semi pro players. Danny Higginbottom said during the week that there is only one pitch in Gibraltar between all of the clubs which they have to share for training and matches, this means they all get very little time each week to train on a pitch and most of their training is jist fitness work.

The Ireland squad is the weakest it's been in a while but we should be beating these comfortably enough. Hard to call it most certainly isn't, unless I've missed some kind of sarcasm I'll have some of whatever you're smoking!

He is acting the t***l. Hes been at the keyboard in his parents basement the last few days with same nonsense. Don't feed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

What time is kick off tonight lads?

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    What time is kick off tonight lads?

You are on the Internet mate, 1 second and you'd findo the answer!!! I mean this in a jestful friendly manner but these questions always make me laugh!

It's 5 BTW!

Hard to call.

Have you had something happen to your head recently?? Any post i see from you lately seems to have been done with the style of an incoherent mad man. Irrational at times.

Serious question though and i mean no offense. Are you ok??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hard to call.

0/10. Won’t be true no matter how many times you say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hard to call.

9388ef61728ed8288ca82615f44f2106.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You are on the Internet mate, 1 second and you'd findo the answer!!! I mean this in a jestful friendly manner but these questions always make me laugh!

It's 5 BTW!

He's just used the internet to get the answer. And he's got it. From you.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's just used the internet to get the answer. And he's got it. From you.

harr dee harr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

u19s beat Azerbaijan 3-1 this morning in the second group game of the elite round of qualifiers to go top of their group with 6 points.

Russia must now beat Romania this lunch time to keep their hopes alive. Anything but a win and we're through with a game to spare.

Very talented group. Missing 5 or 6 very good players too that are eligible

wadacrack wrote: »
    Very talented group. Missing 5 or 6 very good players too that are eligible

Yep saw a tweet saying that both games have been won without Idah, Parrott, Bazunu, Obafemi, Kavanagh. It is a very talented age group and Mohan seems to be a great manager for them. Hopefully most can fulfill their potential, we have had so many talented young players over the years but they seem to encounter problems when it comes to getting first team opportunities with their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looked at the squad and I’m not familiar with a decent amount of players. When I saw Johnny Walters retiring I looked at our front options and I don’t see where the quality to replace him is going to come from. I know he wasn’t necessarily played as an out and out striker (out the wings a fair bit if I remember) but I’m a bit surprised he hung up his boots, seems like he would of been a good squad player to retain.

Outside of long , what’s the quality of Burke, Hogan , maguire and Robinson like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yep saw a tweet saying that both games have been won without Idah, Parrott, Bazunu, Obafemi, Kavanagh. It is a very talented age group and O'Brien seems to be a great manager for them. Hopefully most can fulfill their potential, we have had so many talented young players over the years but they seem to encounter problems when it comes to getting first team opportunities with their clubs.

Senior football is a huge step from u19, but it seems like a high number of this sqauad have a good chance of having decent senior career's maybe even 1 or at Premier League level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

All seriousness, worried about this plastic pitch today, we're not Scotland and Kazakhstan aren't Gibraltar but need to be wary of it all the same. Andorra have had a plastic pitch for years and never got many hidings from a team of our quality.

Can't see anything bar an Irish win but not sure it'll the hammering everyone is expecting although I'd love to be wrong.

Can see something like this:

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh - Stevens

Doherty - Hourihane - Arter - Brady

Hendrick

McGoldrick

What I'd like to see

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh

Doherty - Hourihane - Arter - Hendrick - Stevens

Maguire - McGoldrick

All seriousness, worried about this plastic pitch today, we're not Scotland and Kazakhstan aren't Gibraltar but need to be wary of it all the same. Andorra have had a plastic pitch for years and never got many hidings from a team of our quality.

Can't see anything bar an Irish win but not sure it'll the hammering everyone is expecting although I'd love to be wrong.

Can see something like this:

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh - Stevens

Doherty - Hourihane - Arter - Brady

Hendrick

McGoldrick

What I'd like to see

Randolph

Coleman - Duffy - Keogh

Doherty - Hourihane - Arter - Hendrick - Stevens

Maguire - McGoldrick

Ireland will win. The motivation to impress Mick will be there. He is a good manager known for getting the best out of average players. Those two together will get an Ireland win. 4 or 5 nil i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Switzerland missing Shakiri. I can see the Georgians nicking a point here.

What time will the team be announced?

At least the players already know unless mick starts saying jack charlton only told them in the dressing room :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement