Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new TV 45-55”

• 14-06-2020 12:22am

Hi.
    Currently have a “HD Ready” 32” Samsung that must be about 8 years old at this stage and time to upgrade. Looking at around 500-800 quid.
    Few questions:

Is LED ok? From what I’ve seen the OLED and QLED are all 4-figures.

From what I’ve read 4k and HDR are musts. What about (real) 120Hz? Or is that even much of a thing here at this stage?

Anything to watch with brands? I’ve been mostly looking at Sony, Samsung, LG. OS is unimportant as I’ve an Nvidia Shield.

Any recommendations from anyone? Ideally from Power City/DID/Harvey Norman/Currys (anywhere I can pick one up soon and not get it posted)?

I’d been looking at this one below a bit but, like everything, you read great reviews and horror show reviews so I’m unsure. I know anything will be an upgrade but I don’t intend changing too soon again. Would this be worth it?

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/samsung-55-4k-crystal-uhd-hdr-smart-led-tv-ue55tu8000kxxu.html

Thanks.

Comments

It's a bad time to be buying because there is a new HDMI standard out (2.1) which will be important with the next generation of consoles (playstation and Xbox).

However I can guess that is not important to you coming from an 8 year old 32".

I would go Samsung or LG. With Sony you pay a premium for the badge and just like a BMW it may have been justified in the past but nowadays cheaper brands are just as good if not better.

If you watch the TV straight on then Samsung. LG has better viewing angles, so if your layout means people will be watching the TV at an angle then I'd go LG.

I have a Samsung and find the audio terrible, so much so I had to buy a soundbar. Loud scenes too loud, quiet dialogue too quiet. I was constantly turning the tv up for dialogue scenes and turning it down for action scenes. Dont know how LG is for sound but I think it's often something people over look.

It's a bad time to be buying because there is a new HDMI standard out (2.1) which will be important with the next generation of consoles (playstation and Xbox).

However I can guess that is not important to you coming from an 8 year old 32".

I would go Samsung or LG. With Sony you pay a premium for the badge and just like a BMW it may have been justified in the past but nowadays cheaper brands are just as good if not better.

If you watch the TV straight on then Samsung. LG has better viewing angles, so if your layout means people will be watching the TV at an angle then I'd go LG.

I have a Samsung and find the audio terrible, so much so I had to buy a soundbar. Loud scenes too loud, quiet dialogue too quiet. I was constantly turning the tv up for dialogue scenes and turning it down for action scenes. Dont know how LG is for sound but I think it's often something people over look.

Nice one thanks. There’s only two of us and we’ll be viewing fairly straight on. The HDMI thing won’t matter either - I do have an xbox one but never switch it on. It’ll probably go when I do a whole rearrange with the new TV.
    Interesting about the sound. From what I’ve been reading it seems to be a real issue with most televisions.

Nice one thanks. There’s only two of us and we’ll be viewing fairly straight on. The HDMI thing won’t matter either - I do have an xbox one but never switch it on. It’ll probably go when I do a whole rearrange with the new TV.
    Interesting about the sound. From what I’ve been reading it seems to be a real issue with most televisions.
    HDMI 2.1 will be on high end TV's to start with and will take a few years to trickle down to the sub €1000 price range.

I'd definitely consider a soundbar if budget allows. Maybe look for a deal with a soundbar thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Check out the Richersounds forum. The lads are very helpful and will beat most prices and give a better warranty.

• Advertisement

thegills wrote: »
    Check out the Richersounds forum. The lads are very helpful and will beat most prices and give a better warranty.

I’d thought about them but they’d be delivery only wouldn’t they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

I have an lg and have the same sound issue as mr grumble. I think it is more to do with how the sound is formatted I dont know the technical terms but it is like sound is recorded on multiple tracks and the tv cannot manage them all properly through its small speakers. Very annoying when you can't hear the dialogue but can hear every background sound clearly. They dont seem to bother reformatting it for tv and just expect you to buy extra systems to manage it. Rant over.

When picking a tv be very careful with the model numbers... 1 different digit might mean a hugely different spec on very similar looking tvs. I have noticed that some model numbers seem unique to some of the bigger suppliers and are older lesser quality than very similar model numbers elsewhere. Its a minefield...

com1 wrote: »
    I have an lg and have the same sound issue as mr grumble. I think it is more to do with how the sound is formatted I dont know the technical terms but it is like sound is recorded on multiple tracks and the tv cannot manage them all properly through its small speakers. Very annoying when you can't hear the dialogue but can hear every background sound clearly. They dont seem to bother reformatting it for tv and just expect you to buy extra systems to manage it. Rant over.

When picking a tv be very careful with the model numbers... 1 different digit might mean a hugely different spec on very similar looking tvs. I have noticed that some model numbers seem unique to some of the bigger suppliers and are older lesser quality than very similar model numbers elsewhere. Its a minefield...

Minefield is exactly it. Started looking yesterday and head is absolutely spinning trying to filter through all the guff on the shops websites.

Is the QLED worth paying the bit extra for? There’s also a 49 inch in this model which would most likely be large enough coming from 32 anyway.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-qe55q67ratxxu-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-with-bixby-10191545-pdt.html
    QLed is Samsungs answer to OLED. In short, OLED is better for darker rooms. If you like to watch movies in the dark then OLED is best.

Samsung have also come out with their own answer to Dolby Vision called HDR10+ but they have made it an open source format in the hope film makers will adopt it and avoid the Dolby licensing. A deciding factor here could be that Dolby Vision has more content and is supported by Netflix. Amazon I believe supports both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭mun1

LG OLED is top brand and they give best picture.

Try buying last years model as they come out every year with a few bells and whistles added on like faster processor, new picture processor etc.
    New models start coming out now so 2019 models should be on sale to clear the stock.

I got a year old LG OLED model on sale in richer sounds a few years ago and it was nearly half the price of the newer model. They were very good to deal with, cheap delivery as well and will always try and do their best to match a tv for your needs, budget, gaming etc.

Go for something in your price range with the lowest speced model from that manufacturer of that year.

All LCD’s have poor sound so as someone else said get a bundle with soundbar included.

• Advertisement

You mentioned you've an nvidia shield which in the newer models supports dolby vision. So LG wins again.

Personally I'm unlikely.to stick with Samsung myself. I dont like that they are going out on their own with their own technologies instead of adopting standards. With hdmi 2.1 they have taken some of it but not all of it but are still saying they support hdmi 2.1 at huge upset to customers who have bought a 2020 model (not cheap!) Only to find it doesnt fully support the standard.

Thanks a million for all the suggestions. Just got word I’ve a UK job on Tuesday coming so I’ll get into a couple of shops up there too which should be a saving. Hopefully come home with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

You mentioned you've an nvidia shield which in the newer models supports dolby vision. So LG wins again.

Personally I'm unlikely.to stick with Samsung myself. I dont like that they are going out on their own with their own technologies instead of adopting standards. With hdmi 2.1 they have taken some of it but not all of it but are still saying they support hdmi 2.1 at huge upset to customers who have bought a 2020 model (not cheap!) Only to find it doesnt fully support the standard.

I gave up on Samsung after they dropped YouTube, for me LG all the way

Ended up with a Samsung after. I know they have disadvantages mentioned above, but they aren’t really relevant to my use case (my XBox is very close to going in a skip and I’ve a shield for YouTube) and I just found the picture and sound better than similar LG units. Very happy with it and being able to control the shield and Virgin with the same remote is dead handy (the Harmony remote can go in the same skip - always hated that thing).
    Thanks for all the help. Glad I took Sony out of the equation.

Advertisement