Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N22 - Farranfore to Killarney [route options published]

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It's not all "traffic avoiding the town" - not by a long way.

Both ends of this "bypass" lead back into the town centre, and I have driven past Killarney enough to see that almost all of the "bypass" traffic is local: volumes are dramatically lower on the routes either side of the town bypass.

I'm in favour of an outer bypass, but only if it is a real bypass of Killarney, with no local juctions. Also, the current design for this new road treats one area that does need a proper bypass, N22 to Muckross Rd (currently via a narrow lane and residential street), as an afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I was actually thinking the same, that the one section that really does need a bypass is N71 (Muckross) to N22. There is some traffic on the "bypass" that's not local but it's mostly local by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

A quick fix would be to remove/change all the pedestrian lights/crossing at both ends of the current bypass.

Driving from Lisivigeen to the Tralee or Killorglin roads is hampered by these obstacles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Preferred route will be published before the year end:

N22 Preferred Route to be revealed by year end - Killarney Advertiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Killarney is a nightmare to have to drive through especially since the Macroom bypass open.

There should be a proper road built linking Cork directly to Tralee with turn offs for Killarney town and the Airport.

We've had enough of this Green Party tripe about prioritising public transport and cycling lanes. Then to read people here complaining it would be too costly, sweet Lord above there's plenty money there just build the road and be done with it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Nobody is saying it's too costly, we're saying it's an absolute waste of money. What will you do when the next bypass of the bypass clogs up because the Kerry Co Co allowed more development than all of Belgium?

I don't want my tax money spent on sops to one-off unsustainable development thanks. So spend a billion euro fixing the bypass by all means, but not another bypass of the bypass.

Underpass or overpass yep. And get rid of the "personal" entrances and exits. And get rid of the Woodlands Road roundabout. And an upgrade of the junction at the Rock Road Roundabout. And probably an upgrade of the ballydowney roundabout while we're at it. The vast majority of the existing bypass is absolutely fine, it's just being abused to the point of being dysfunctional by crap planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The Preferred Route hasn't even been published yet, there are several years worth of surveys and design work ro be done before it can start its two year stint with ABP. Tendering and construction will take another few years. This type of "just build the road and forget about anything else" attitude is tantamount to saying "just do nothing for the next decade".

The flip side of that is if took the opposite approach (doing the other things now while the road project trundles along), we could have something which would ease the problems in a few years. Killarney is not too badly set up, the N22 practically touches the rail line on both sides of the town. A P&R on each side along with changes to encourage visitors to use them would be quite easy. You would have one set running back and forth all day. Instead a lot of people would rather fantasise about a €0.5bn road possibly opening sometime in the 2030s.

You were one of the two that brought cost into the discussion.

I know there's a lot of unemployed people posting on this forum that wouldn't work to keep themselves warm but you're argument about you don't want your tax money spent on a new road is ridiculous.

Do you think you're the only one posting on here that pays tax?

Read my post I didn't suggest a bypass of the bypass ("bypass" ffs have you actually ever driven outside of Killarney?) I said build a road that directly connects Cork to Tralee.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You're the other poster that brought cost into the discussion as if you were personally going to be billed extra for it.

Where in the name of God are you getting the impression my post means do nothing for the next decade?

• Advertisement

You said "just build the road and be done with it", that literally means do nothing to address the problem for the next decade. It will take at least a decade for a new road here to open, that's the reality of it.

And the "as if you were personally going to be billed extra for it" thing is also mindless ignoring of the processes which exist. The project itself will be assessed under the PSC and any supplemental assessmens twhich may be added between now and then. Plus we are creating a situation where there'll be several billion € worth of roads projects construction ready at the same time, while we'll also have maybe €15bn of major public transport projects already under construction. There will be limited funding and resources available so plenty of projects are going to be left waiting.

There you go again with your "we can't afford it baloney".

You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

It's an investment that will pay dividends and it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

The government have practically a blank cheque for every bill, a blind man could see that.

Have you noticed how much we have spent on the Childrens Hospital we are still waiting on?

Have you thought about how much it is costing us taxpayers to supplement the recent wave of new arrivals?

The country is awash with money, a road from Cork to Tralee should have been done decades ago.

Have you ever thought of the cost of the Jack Lynch Tunnel, the Macroom Bypass or the cost of the Dunkettle Roundabout?

Did you ever wonder about the cost of those concrete barriers on the main Cork to Dublin road?

Money is not an object, the money is there. It's all about convincing the people who control the purse strings that it needs to be spent in Kerry.

You're all over the place. Read back through the thread, the discussion was literally about an outer bypass of the existing bypass, which a few of us think is a bad idea.

Again, nobody is saying "there isn't enough money" or "don't spend in Kerry". We're saying we should prioritise projects that make sense. Just because we have money available it doesn't mean we should burn it on basically pointless projects. The current bypass of Killarney, I use it plenty myself and agree it's dysfunctional and needs some fixes. I have been stuck in those traffic jams. But more importantly the whole town needs a proper transport plan and "fixing a road" isn't enough, that's what plenty of us here are saying.

This isn't Buttevant or Macroom. The jams that affects the bypass typically affect the roads directly into and out of the town even more. That's not people going to Tralee or Killorglin, it's large volumes of local people. Killarney is the origin and the destination for a lot of the traffic on that road. A flow that does need to be dealt with is traffic to/from Muckross Road alright.

And if you're more interested in a direct route between Cork and Tralee, then I'd be very interested in what way the numbers work out when the NM20 is completed: it may be the case that the reasonably poor quality N72 becomes a far more urgent project.

Talk about all over the place. You're lost.

Are you now speaking on behalf of the other poster as well?

Who are you referring to when you say "We"?

How exactly do you conclude that building a direct road from Cork to Tralee is basically a pointless project?

Fixing the road is exactly what needs to happen. You have this thing in your head that upgrading what you think is a bypass is the answer.

It's not. That's not a bypass, it's a little rat run.

People travelling to the Airport, Tralee and beyond don't want to be caught up by f*cking horses and carts in the middle of the busiest roundabout in Killarney.

Nobody wants to be caught behind the endless tour bus drivers or God forbid be innocently driving in the opposite direction to them.

The place is a nightmare, the powers that be need to give decent tax payers the option of not getting caught up in it when we have no interest or time for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's important at this stage to establish that Killarney does not have a bypass. It has an inner relief road. It's disingenuous to label the road between the Park Road Roundabout and the Ballydowney Roundabout as being a bypass when it starts and terminates within the 50km/h boundaries of the town. This road opened in 1990 and the world has changed a lot since then, and it's only natural that the town has developed since then in the context of the development of Ireland in the meantime.

There are a number of places in Ireland which received "bypasses" in this time which are either properly bypassed since. In the last 10 years: New Ross and Castlebar. In the 2000s there was a whole heap of towns properly bypassed. Proper bypasses to replace 90s ones are planned for Rathkeale, Killarney, Carrick on Shannon, Galway, Mallow, Wexford, Longford amongst others.

The N22-N71 link does need to be prioritised. Unfortunately, there's no realistic way to plan it at present to take traffic from the Tralee side of the town to the N71 without the new bypass (save for tunnelling or going through the National Park). But it would remove traffic from the east which would be a massive help.

I didn't say "we can't afford it baloney" so why are you putting it in quotation marks? You seem to ignore what is actually said and instead make up something to suit yourself. Bringing "the recent wave of new arrivals" is very telling. Clearly there is no worthwhile discussion to be had with you.

You hardly think I was trying to imply you were calling your own words baloney? Are you seriously that stuck to find fault with my post?

What is telling about me mentioning how much the recent wave of new arrivals is costing the taxpayers of Ireland?

Are you actually offended by someone mentioning that Pete?

You must never watch the news and be living a very sheltered life if that hasn't been a topic of discussion amongst your family of circle of friends.

Either way it's a very pertinent point to make to someone like yourself who has twice brought costs into the discussion as an excuse not to build a bypass.

For someone so worried about the governments ability to pay to improve our national road structure you should research how much the recent wave of new arrivals have cost and are projected to cost in the long term and how much those costs have increased in the last couple of years alone.

I'm certainly not afraid anyone will be offended by facts and figures Pete and if you are I make no apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Not sure if already reported here but Eamon Ryan had emailed KCC councillors advising that funding will not been be considered for this road until 2030 at least. It really is a travesty for daily users of the existing congested network!

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/minister-for-transport-receives-heavy-criticism-at-todays-special-killarney-md-meeting-398302

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Greens or no Greens, Kerry CoCo will have to try meet the government half way on this. Building another road won't help anything when the council is doing absolutely nothing to provide people with an alternative to driving everywhere.

• Advertisement

I have no idea why you put any of those words in quotation marks, it wasn't a quote. The inclusion of the word baloney was strange but none of it made sense anyway. And you haven't offered any facts and figures so no fear of anyone being offended by them.

I never mentioned anything about ability to pay for the road, that's something you made up for yourself to argue with. You also took that as an opportunity to shoehorn in "new arrivals".

I questioned the value of the project. The traffic counter at Killarney has double the AADT of the counters either side on the N22. When you consider the traffic joining the N22 either side of Killarney, it is clear that a huge amount of traffic will remain on the current N22 around Killarney even if another road was provided.

Now, now Peter lets just stick to the facts shall we?

In the previous page you made 5 posts, 4 of them cited cost as an inhibiting factor to building a bypass.

The other post was some faux indignation at a reference to how much money our government is spending in other areas.

I don't agree with you Marno in that we can agree it's not a "bypass" in name, but it's absolutely not a distributer either. It's one of the earlier glut of "relief roads" which serves neither function properly as it tries to do both. We have these in Carrigaline, Midleton, Dungarvan, etc and we're talking about (and have built!) outer relief roads of the outer relief road in all of the above cases.

It has been very clearly been used as a development facilitator to open up the town to unplanned sprawl (same as in the other mentioned towns). There's empty fields in the middle of town and development on the "relief" road. That makes no sense from a planning perspective.

So I don't see the value in another road to relieve the relief road: it's absolutely certain that the Co Co will allow massive development at every junction of any such new road, until the point that it partly ceases to function again when traffic queues up (like the Oatencake interchange). The current "relief" road would serve no real purpose other than to encourage local people to use the car for every journey (it's in no way a distributor, it'd be a car-oriented development facilitator). And a 30-year lifespan for the original asset is reasonably poor. As others have said, I'd rather see an overall Killarney transport plan. And if another outer road is still warranted within that plan, then fair enough. But plugging another road onto the side is of little use.

N22-N71 is going to be a really difficult job but it could track from N71 across the flood plain (raised), then cross the river to the south, joining the Mill Road, then leaving it again to tie into N22 North of the Lislivigeen roundabout at an upgraded free-flow junction. It's be a massive project I'd say, loads of structures. I don't see any realistic route to the West of town. Another question is: would locals be happy with the Muckross tourist traffic not going directly through the town? You'd hope there wouldn't be huge pushback.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fully agree with what you say about the existing road. It's a 90s style relief road that was a good attempt for its time but has outgrown its use. And has been absolutely destroyed with development.

The new road would be sufficiently far from the town that it would be an actual bypass. I would 100% agree that for this and similar schemes there should be rules at national level to protect these new roads from development. TII are planning this with the western section of the M6 Galway City Ring Road, the section from the N59 to the R336 will be a "protected road"

Also agree re: the N71 link. It'll be a tricky one from an engineering pov. Would locals object? Some certainly would but the N71 is so heavily trafficed in summer it turns locals off using it anyway. Should the N71 link go ahead the Muckross Road might actually be usable in summer again as from there to the Mission Road/Beach Road junction is just a car park at peak times.

Yep I'd be strongly pushing for the N71-N22 link to get done, and for the northern part of the Muckross road to get an "urban realm" upgrade. I use it a bit (car and bike) and it's not awful just a bit haphazard. You'd hope that given less traffic to facilitate, they could do something coherent on it. Simple stuff like raising the footpath would make a big difference. It's Woodlawn road to Countess road really that's really poor.

On the outer relief road, as I say if it's warranted with a holistic view of town traffic then fine, but I hate the idea that "we've tried nothing else so we're going to do the same thing again". If they made any attempt at all to sort out the town you wouldn't mind it too much, but as it stands you just couldn't trust the Co Co at all. I'd say the second any outer road is completed, the NW section will be Kerry Co Co's new "devlopment" zone unfortunately. Without forcing a coherent town transport plan before the road is done, its existence will be factored into any transport plan they'll just abuse it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

in fairness the Longford and Wexford bypasses are still proper bypasses without development plonked on them bar at roundabouts and they still function fairly well with 100kmh limits. Far better than any of the other half arsed ones like Killarney

• Advertisement

Yep, slightly different era/age probably helped those two I suspect

To correct the record, I was referring to those bypasses having active replacement plans (in the shape of the N4 Mullingar-Rooskey and the N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour schemes) rather than requiring replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/sufficient-funding-in-place-to-ensure-preferred-route-for-farranfore-to-killarney-bypass-will-be-selected-this-year-401162

If the preferred route is selected before year end, what does that necessarily mean for progressing to the next stage?

Advertisement