Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access onto public road from field

Options
  • 22-09-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a field (15 acres) recently, with a long access road into it (right of way).

But the field is bounding another small, fairly quiet road, and it would save me about 20 mins in a tractor if I could access the field from this small road.

What are my chances of just blown a hole in the ditch? Or if I went for planning, would i find it hard to get what I want?

All poor land, no houses nearby, or potential for building anything - boggy ground.

Just if I did blow a hole through the ditch without asking, if i had an accident later id be in trouble probably?

Also, there is an old gap in part of the ditch, but council have dug drain in front of it, and its covered in bryers. Any way of finding out if this was maybe once an access gate - any old osi maps that might show this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Old maps are unlikely to show entrances unless there was a laneway.

I think you don't need planning if the roadway is less than 4m wide (open to correction on that)

If it was me, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ;)

Old maps won't show field access

You also need to be careful when it comes to messing with drainage and ditches

Go talk to the local planning office, they will advise you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

cjpm wrote: »
    Old maps are unlikely to show entrances unless there was a laneway.

I think you don't need planning if the roadway is less than 4m wide (open to correction on that)

If it was me, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ;)

Do this /\

Twill be ok for a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Do this /\

Twill be ok for a tractor

Stay away from the planning office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭NedNew2

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Stay away from the planning office

I disagree.

I'd phone the planning office, you don't have to give your name or exact location and you can ask in general terms. Nothing to lose by asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you go the planning office route, make sure you tell them you there is an opening but it's overgrown (maybe thin out some hedges and stick a rusty gate against them)

Or just make a gap inconspicuous enough that will enlarge through usage and look like it's always been there.

As for an accident.. Consider blind bends, and whether cars already speed on the road. Get the road in front of the gate good and mucky with tyretracks so drivers will recognise an entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

antix80 wrote: »

As for an accident.. Consider blind bends, and whether cars already speed on the road. Get the road in front of the gate good and mucky with tyretracks so drivers will recognise an entrance

Surly getting the road good and mucky is not a good idea seeing as you're required to clean up any such mess you leave on a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

I know you say it's a quiet road...but is there any chance that the council ran cables of any kind alongside the drain?

A general enquiry might be no harm.....

Advertisement