Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal insults not being actioned by mods in Teaching & Lecturing forum

Options
  • 20-09-2020 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thread: [Discussion] Asti strike action

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058114858/1

Poster ‘bobtheman’ posted the following in reply to my post:
    That teacher should not have called you thick. That was for all your friends and family to say that.

I reported this post last night, no action was taken.

I reported it a second time last night, no action was taken.

As per my ‘note to mods’ on a subsequent post:
    Note to Mods: I have reported the quoted post twice this evening. Other posts in this thread have been removed between my first reporting the post and the second reporting of the post so mods are seeing the thread and posts.

Is personal abuse allowed in this forum?

The same poster has also engaged in personal abuse of another poster in the thread, as well as back seat modding by accusing that poster of being a ‘troll’.

I understand mods are volunteers and may not be online on a Saturday night, however the fact that other posts (including one of mine) were deleted from the thread between my first reporting and second reporting shows that a mod was working in the thread, so the post by ‘bobtheman’ should have been actioned by that point. At the time of second reporting the thread had less than 10 posts so was easy to find.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

You've little to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You went into a thread on the Teaching and Lecturing forum to b*tch at teachers, now you're here cause someone called you out on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OP not to make little of your complaint but those posts were at 1am or later last night.

You expecting mods to be at your beck and call immediately is ridiculous.

Report the posts and give them a chance for God sakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Necro wrote: »
    OP not to make little of your complaint but those posts were at 1am or later last night.

You expecting mods to be at your beck and call immediately is ridiculous.

Report the posts and give them a chance for God sakes.

Great, thanks for your input. Did you read the part where I said other posts had been actioned between my first report and second report? On a thread with approx 10 posts at the time.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    You went into a thread on the Teaching and Lecturing forum to b*tch at teachers, now you're here cause someone called you out on it.

The cause aside (everyone gets bitched at at some stage or another on this site), the question still remains regarding personal abuse being allowed. Isn't 'attack the post not the poster' what they always preach here? A moderator shouldn't allow it in any instance, whether they agree with either poster or not.

• Advertisement

The cause aside (everyone gets bitched at at some stage or another on this site), the question still remains regarding personal abuse being allowed. Isn't 'attack the post not the poster' what they always preach here? A moderator shouldn't allow it in any instance, whether they agree with either poster or not.

Did you follow the "attack the post not the poster" rule when you went into a thread clearly aimed at only ASTI members in order to have a go at the entire teaching profession?

There are rules against trolling on Boards.ie too.

Did you follow the "attack the post not the poster" rule when you went into a thread clearly aimed at only ASTI members in order to have a go at the entire teaching profession?

There are rules against trolling on Boards.ie too.

I did what?

I did what?

You'll be happy to know your comment was deleted, so I can't reference it here.

You'll be happy to know your comment was deleted, so I can't reference it here.

Do you think I’m the OP?

Did you (and the posters who thanked your post) actually read my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The quality of moderation on boards is tumbling downhill. The principals boards was based on for years are ignored and many mods silence one side of arguments to further their political agenda. Attack the post and not the poster might be applied depending on your opinion and not whether the person or post was attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

Did you (and the posters who thanked your post) actually read my post?

I did. It was a stupid antagonistic comment and I don't understand why you're upset someone reacted to it.

04581466 wrote: »
    I did. It was a stupid antagonistic comment and I don't understand why you're upset someone reacted to it.

Ridiculous comment. I pointed out that teachers would lose any sympathy from the public.

The tens of thousands of other workers who kept public transport, hospitals, shops, running, Gardaí, ambulance, fire service all doing their job while teachers took an extended holiday. Many making no effort to teach.

Ridiculous comment. I pointed out that teachers would lose any sympathy from the public.

The tens of thousands of other workers who kept public transport, hospitals, shops, running, Gardaí, ambulance, fire service all doing their job while teachers took an extended holiday. Many making no effort to teach.

Huge generalisation there, and a cheap shot at teachers.

Also, front line workers have correct social distancing measures.

Hospitals were emptied, PPE was prioritised for the HSE. Anyone admitted to a hospital for anything was treated as if they had COVID.

Shops closed for months and have hand sanitiser, limited numbers, limited time, same as restaurants.

Schools are basically the same as preCovid, except the teacher has to teach through a mask and lunch times are staggered.

There's another thread on the teaching forum that shows the frustrations of teachers. You're in a small room with 30 potentially asymptomatic COVID carriers every day who can't or won't stay away from each other, and there's no help or advice on how to make social distancing work. No other profession has it worse except HCPs, and they account for a quarter of all COVID cases.

Yes, and your response is a valid, considered response.

The post I reported was a oneliner from a teacher calling me thick.

nthclare wrote: »
    Its getting worse, I was banned from a forum recently for trying to defuse the situation between myself and another member.
    I suggested that myself and another member should move on because at this stage we're both acting the ninny.
    The moderator practically told me that she was waiting for me to slip up to ban me.

I was banned, but yet this moderator can throw in distasteful sexual innuendos and behave whatever way they like.
    Very narcissistic and manipulative behaviour might I add.
    A bit like a bitter aul nun in a magdinal laundry.

Nurse Ratched over there, is absolutely awful I'm able to call her out on her contradictions and I've no problem with sticking it to a mod if I see I'm being treated unfairly. But they lie in wait obsessively watching your post's and openly insult you or try to bring other members into the foray.

The majority of moderators are good, but some are like bad school teachers who like power and clout.
    And if you get the better of the virtual doorman or goody two shoe's type you can be sure they'll take it personal rather than work it out fairly.

A few rotten apples in the barrel unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I find the modding very inconsistent here on the site. I've had my knuckles rapped several times recently for what I would consider very innocuous comments, yet I see many vile hateful comments going completely unchecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Yes, and your response is a valid, considered response.

The post I reported was a oneliner from a teacher calling me thick.

They didn’t though, they said it wasn’t for a teacher to call you thick.

They didn’t though, they said it wasn’t for a teacher to call you thick.

Is this a serious response? What about the second part?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Seamai wrote: »
    I find the modding very inconsistent here on the site. I've had my knuckles rapped several times recently for what I would consider very innocuous comments, yet I see many vile hateful comments going completely unchecked.

I wouldn't blame the site for that, it's probably just a small percentage of mods who are off on power trips.

If you look into the structure of Boards and how it's been run, and who runs it, has shares in it etc you'll understand that it's not a public forum.

If it was public there's no way that there would be one rule for one and another for another.
    Basically they can ban who they like when they like if they like.

I asked a moderator to just ban me from a forum for good if I'm that problematic, but they said ah you're OK I'll give you a weeks ban.

It's just a site set up by a bunch of like minded people years ago and they are posting here for year's and became moderators over time and they don't realise that the moderation is a bit old now and they need to clean it up a bit.

I mentioned nurse Ratched who's always going for me, she wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else I'd say she's doing some ass licking on board's and trying to hide her narcissistic personality disorder from people.
    But once a narcissist always one...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Admin: Moved to Help Desk. Feedback is not for specific forum/thread issues.

nthclare wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the site for that, it's probably just a small percentage of mods who are off on power trips.

If you look into the structure of Boards and how it's been run, and who runs it, has shares in it etc you'll understand that it's not a public forum.

If it was public there's no way that there would be one rule for one and another for another.
    Basically they can ban who they like when they like if they like.

I asked a moderator to just ban me from a forum for good if I'm that problematic, but they said ah you're OK I'll give you a weeks ban.

It's just a site set up by a bunch of like minded people years ago and they are posting here for year's and became moderators over time and they don't realise that the moderation is a bit old now and they need to clean it up a bit.

I mentioned nurse Ratched who's always going for me, she wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else I'd say she's doing some ass licking on board's and trying to hide her narcissistic personality disorder from people.
    But once a narcissist always one...

read your post back there good man.

the "one brave man tripping balls and telling the hard truths no offence just my opinion maaaan" schtick is tired and old from anyone over 16

and the nastiness of your two posts in this thread are a demonstration that aside from any individual forum/thread you may have been moderated in, you have no idea where to draw the line in your comments once you are told "no"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Seamai wrote: »

Yeah I have a look in CA sometimes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is this a serious response? What about the second part?

Yes, I read it as if you’re thick it’s not for teachers to tell you, it’s for your friends and family. They didn’t say that you are thick...

Yes, I read it as if you’re thick it’s not for teachers to tell you, it’s for your friends and family. They didn’t say that you are thick...

Again I must ask, is this a serious response?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement