Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any way to salvage infected windows xp laptop

Options
  • 02-01-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on how I could salvage an infected Windows Xp laptop (from 2003) running internet explorer 8. (not the computer I am sending this from).

There is some virus on it that seems to be corrupting some websites (others are OK). I tried downloading AVG free anti virus software but it didn't work (it doesn't open the pop-up boxes needed to run the downloads).

The internet explorer page is missing the "tools" cog, so there is no way to reset the internet explorer back to its original settings or to clear the cache.

Can't afford to buy a new laptop at the moment, and would appreciate any suggestions on how I could salvage this one.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mikedublin wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on how I could salvage an infected Windows Xp laptop (from 2003) running internet explorer 8. (not the computer I am sending this from).

There is some virus on it that seems to be corrupting some websites (others are OK). I tried downloading AVG free anti virus software but it didn't work (it doesn't open the pop-up boxes needed to run the downloads).

The internet explorer page is missing the "tools" cog, so there is no way to reset the internet explorer back to its original settings or to clear the cache.

Can't afford to buy a new laptop at the moment, and would appreciate any suggestions on how I could salvage this one.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
    You need to find out exactly what infections you have and download the tools to remove them

Go into your task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and look at what programs are running anything that you don't recognise is a possible malware program.
    Most trojans have specific tools to remove them or detailed instructions online, it just takes perseverence and patience (lots of patience)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

OP, try download and burn to CD an AntiVirus ISO, there are many free ones available (Kaspersky, Avira etc), then boot up the pc from the CD/DVD drive and allow a complete scan to finish.

You can also boot your machine up in Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly before Windows can boot up, and enter Safe Mode), then update and run your virus software.

Best of luck,
    CaSCaDe711

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Thanks for the advice. I checked task manager and nothing strange or unwanted was running. However - even when I was connected to the internet it was not showing it as running in the task manager list of running applications. Only thing it showed running was the 3g Broadband modem.

I also tried downloading OTL but although a seperate window opened it was a blank empty page :(

I'll keep trying !

By the way - the mobile boards site displays ok, as does mobile version of facebook. But the 'normal' full versions of these sites won't display at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sounds like you have a root-kit type virus.

Hitman Pro should resolve it. It's free.

• Advertisement

can you download otl.exe onto a usb key from another pc and then run it on the pc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Wipe it and install new windows, much less effort :) Or even better install linux mint on it, makes an old laptop like a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

srsly78 wrote: »
    Wipe it and install new windows, much less effort :) Or even better install linux mint on it, makes an old laptop like a new one.

I second this.
    While a reformat on a laptop can take several hours to complete. It can save a lot of hassle with downloading programs and running scans. To which you might only remove a portion of the problem. Best to reformat and not to mention it will fix the performance of your laptop.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could just remove the virus, but I'd wipe and reinstall. So much easier, will be like a new computer! If you do reinstall, this app might help get you up and running.

https://ninite.com/

Lets you download a lot of free programs at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

What you could do to get your stuff off the computer is download Ubuntu and burn the iso to a DVD. Then restart the laptop, change the bios settings and have it boot from disc. I'm typing this on a phone so I can't explain it better but Google will help. It varies from machine to machine. .This will have leave you with a working but not installed version of Linux on the laptop. Definitely run an anti virus on the usb memory stick or hd to make sure the files are ok. Personally if a computer's has a bad infection like that, I'd be happier once I wipe the hard disc and have a clean install of Windows. But that's just me.

• Advertisement

jsa112 wrote: »
    can you download otl.exe onto a usb key from another pc and then run it on the pc ?

I don't have access to another pc I can do that from (except the one at work which I'm on now).

Also - to wipe and restore windows : will I lose all my pictures / songs and word docs ? or is there any way to save them on the laptop (rather than saving on a usb or disk ?)

on the infected pc, can you go into safe mode with networking, and then download and run OTL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I don't have access to another pc I can do that from (except the one at work which I'm on now).

Also - to wipe and restore windows : will I lose all my pictures / songs and word docs ? or is there any way to save them on the laptop (rather than saving on a usb or disk ?)

You can reinstall windows without a wipe, but the malware may persist.

Have you not got your stuff saved in the cloud or whatever? Laptops are not for storing stuff. If you persist with this habit you are guaranteed to lose all your stuff at some point in the future.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If those things are important, back them up now. If you have a google account, you can use google drive. Definitely back up your pictures and documents onto a usb flash drive / hard drive. Even more important if you are having issues with your computer! It's just a case of copying and pasting. You can get a 8gb drive in easons for 4.99, and a 16gb one for 9.99 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Not realistically.
    Save your data to a usb flash drive or exterior hdd.
    Next install Linux Mint (or perhaps Lubuntu if it is an old machine) to the laptop, transfer your data back to it and you're ready to go. Viruses are for Windows and don't affect Linux.
    I have loads of data from my old Windows computers saved on my Linux machines and never have any bother. If you do later pass any data to a Windows user, get them to run a virus/malware scan on it before using it.
    Installing the latest version of any Linux distribution (but Mint is the easiest to use) will save you hours over a Windows re-install, and only one re-boot required from a fresh install.
    What are the specs of your machine? CPU, HDD, RAM etc? 32 or 64 bit? (I'm guessing 32 bit if it's running XP)

Edit: I just saw the age of your machine, so Mint may be a little heavy for it, Lubuntu might be a better bet.
    Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can't stress enough trying out Hitman Pro before doing anything as drastic as reformatting or installing another operating system.

I had the *exact* same problem as you, spent weeks trying to fix it with various software, only Hitman Pro worked.

It's free and downloadable from http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

XP needs to go any way....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Before doing anything I would advise you to back up all your pictures, documents etc. to USB stick. Remember that one of these backed up items could be infected.

Maybe download a different browser, such as google chrome:

https://www.google.ie/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Then using the other browser, go here and install and run an online virus scan (takes a long time!):

http://www.eset.ie/ie/home/products/online-scanner/

Then install AVG or Avast free anti virus (not both)using chrome.

Install and run other malware removal tools, maybe find a tutorial online about good free applications for removing malware (malwarebytes,spybot search and destroy etc..).

If you cannot do any of these suggestions, then try to do it in by entering "Safe mode with networking", as mentioned in a previous post.

Maybe stop using Internet explorer and use a different browser, maybe try to update internet explorer to the latest version.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I did try starting it in safemode with networking. But unfortunatly the 3g Broadband modem didn't work when it was in safe mode (works ok in normal mode).

I tried downloading hitman pro - but while I can get to the website page when I click on download nothing happens.

I tried system restore to get it back to a point where I knew it was OK but even after that the internet explorer still won't let me adjust or open any settings tools.

I tried to remove Internet explorer from the laptop but that didn't work either.

I've started copying my pictures off the laptop so once I have them all copied I'll try more options. Thanks again for the advice / suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

When in Internet explorer, right click the grey area below the address bar, select "menu bar". You may then get "Tools" in this menu.Maybe virus will block this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Well for starters it's unlikely a 3g dongle would work in safe mode. You can't uninstall internet explorer either. Can you not get a friend to download that program for you or pop into an internet cafe and ask them to get it for you?

Internet Explorer is a browser that's more vulnerable to being hacked anyway. When you get your laptop up and running, use another browser such as Firefox instead.

Advertisement