Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davy Russell loses Culloty rides

• 21-03-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering why Cooper had one of the Lambe rides today, turns out Culloty was not happy with Russell after his ride on Lord Windermere in the Gold Cup and will not be using Russell anymore. Think it is mad to throw him off his horses, feel like Culloty is basically using Russell as a scapegoat for his failure to have a winner in a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

I think it's hilarious, doesn't have a winner for a year then sacks his jockey for a horse that was tailed off!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Culloty famously said halfway round last years gold cup that he was going to sack Davy Russell. Obviously he was true to his word because I feel Lord Windermere half fluked that Gold Cup last year & Culloty is just making Davy a scapegoat now. Totally unfair on Russell as it's the second humiliation he has suffered in a little over a year. No better man to bounce back though, he's a classy individual & he won't hold any grudges. He certainly deserves better treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Suspected fractured tibia and humerus...
    Some months on the sidelines for Davy
    Hope he recovers well

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

https://twitter.com/MCYeeehaaa/status/579327422086152192

More bad news for Davy...suspected broken tibia & humerus after heavy fall today in Gowran.

Jim Culloty is an idiot for sacking Davy...'nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Russell performed a miracle on what is probably one of the worst horses ever to win a Gold Cup for a trainer that can't train for shite. Gutted for Davy after today's fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Culloty throwing his dummy out of the pram because he is a pretty bad trainer and is lucky to have some of Dr lambs horses.
    The horse was near tailed off last year as well, let's blame the trainer for providing a lazy horse.
    Who rode Windsor park to win by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

I wonder what Ronan Lambe's view is? Since Davy did ride a Cheltenham winner for him again this year on Dermot Weld's horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Always thought Culloty was a bit of a knob and this confirms it.

He hunted him round last year as well and picked up the pieces up the hill. How can he blame the jockey for a horse than ran that badly.

Fall today sounds horrible, hope he recovers quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I find it strange that he would give him the road after the gold cup ride! The horse clearly didn't travel how it could be blamed on the jockey is beyond me! Hope davy has a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

his injuries don't appear as bad as first appeared, seems to have got away with just a broken arm, lot better than having the leg gone as well

Culloty is a jumped up muppet who thinks he can train horses, as already alluded to, has not had a winner in 12 months, got lucky that Russell rode such a good race last year that ended in a Gold Cup winner - history shows what a poor renewal it was

Culloty has had 24 winners since he started training, if Lambe wasn't sending him his horses, he'd have no runners to accompany no winners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Just cannot understand Culloty's decision. He was abviously a fine jockey himself but he's clearly a poor judge of both man and animal if he thinks a) Davy's ride is to blame for horses finishing position, b) Lord Windermere is anything other than glorified handicapper who was blessed beyond belief to win the biggest donkey derby of a Gold Cup.

Has Culloty realised yet that the best any of last years GC field finished was a 25l beaten 5th this time round or does he want Fehily and the rest of last years jocks gone too? He's either not a big man on form, which might explain the woeful training record, or simply deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Bizarre move, Davy is still a cracking jockey, 2 wins from 3 rides at the festival, the loser is for the trainer who couldn't train a winner in a year with the horse on unfavourable ground.

Dr Lamb should move his Culloty horses to another trainer.

Real sorry to hear about the injuries suffered by Davy, I hope he recovers quickly.

Odd he doesn't get many rides, there must be more to it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Just cannot understand Culloty's decision. He was abviously a fine jockey himself but he's clearly a poor judge of both man and animal if he thinks a) Davy's ride is to blame for horses finishing position, b) Lord Windermere is anything other than glorified handicapper who was blessed beyond belief to win the biggest donkey derby of a Gold Cup.

Has Culloty realised yet that the best any of last years GC field finished was a 25l beaten 5th this time round or does he want Fehily and the rest of last years jocks gone too? He's either not a big man on form, which might explain the woeful training record, or simply deluded.

Only 2 horses have actually won a race after competing in this Gold Cup. Silviniaco Conti has won twice and Teaforthree has won a hunters chase :eek::eek:

A friend of mine was at the Goat Grill preview night when Culloty was on the panel. Said he was the worst panelist he had ever seen or heard, hadn't a clue what horses were even running and made a fool of himself with some comments. The only loser of this decision is Culloty as he loses one of the best jockeys around. Might even lose the Dr.Lambe horses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

If I was Dr.Lambe and had to choose between having Davy on my horses or Culloty training them it would be about the easiest decision of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Culloty has about two or three good horses. Probably about twenty horses in total in his yard. It's not as if he is running a plethora of good horses in to the ground or something. He is probably performing better than other trainers in similar situations. He trains his horses in the same mentality he had as a jockey, cautious. That isn't a bad thing.

Is there a credible angle about him being a poor trainer or is it largely reliant on the populist opinion of not having a winner for twelve months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭mulbot

Huntley wrote: »
    Culloty has about two or three good horses. Probably about twenty horses in total in his yard. It's not as if he is running a plethora of good horses in to the ground or something. He is probably performing better than other trainers in similar situations. He trains his horses in the same mentality he had as a jockey, cautious. That isn't a bad thing.

Is there a credible angle about him being a poor trainer or is it largely reliant on the populist opinion of not having a winner for twelve months?

That's hardly the proper approach for an animal that's about to defend it's Gold Cup title-if that's the case, then he's certainly to blame for the way the horse performed and not Russell,and that would surely be a credible angle to question his ability as a trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Was he jealous he wasn't in the photo given to Obama?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Russell will really miss all those winners!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bury Down The Hatchet

Huntley wrote: »

In fairness now he might have c.20 horses but they almost all cost good money (I'd hazard a guess the average price would be €40k). They also cannot all be useless and if they are Culloty must also be held accountable as he buys his own horses.

He is a jumped up piebald that got lucky with his family connections and hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity given to him. He obviously doesn't have the hunger to be a proper trainer.

He is a jumped up piebald that got lucky with his family connections and hasn't taken advantage of the opportunity given to him. He obviously doesn't have the hunger to be a proper trainer.

I'm sure his father in law would like to see a few winners come from the setup he gave Cullotty! Huge money went in to his training facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

"I was glad to see Davy Russell's horrendous fall at Gowran isn't as bad as first feared and, thank God, his leg isn't broken. There seems to be every possibility he will make Punchestown.

"Should that be the case, and should Windsor Park run at Punchestown, then Davy Russell will most definitely be riding him." D.K Weld

coopdog85 wrote: »
    I'm sure his father in law would like to see a few winners come from the setup he gave Cullotty! Huge money went in to his training facility.[/QUOTE

proverbial drop in ocean, his father in law David Samworth is worth half a billion pounds, Jim did well when he bumped into Susie

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭solwhit12

Andalucia wrote: »
    I'm sure his father in law would like to see a few winners come from the setup he gave Cullotty! Huge money went in to his training facility.[/QUOTE

proverbial drop in ocean, his father in law David Samworth is worth half a billion pounds, Jim did well when he bumped into Susie

Susie is gone back to england as far as I know so money might be getting short soon.

I actually thought he was worth more if I'm being honest! Either way, I'm sure Cullotty would have expected a large increase in the number of horses in training after such a good festival last year, however the fact he hasn't might be an indication of his abilities.

I actually thought he was worth more if I'm being honest! Either way, I'm sure Cullotty would have expected a large increase in the number of horses in training after such a good festival last year, however the fact he hasn't might be an indication of his abilities.

yeah surprising he got no new owners after a couple of Cheltenham winners - Lambe must account for 70% of his horses - what happens when the novelty of no success wears off - don't see Lord Windermere or Spring Heeled winning a race this year

Culloty is gone to ground, twitter and facebook pages gone after a backlash on social media, phone must be gone too, given no journalist has got his version of reasons for such action

But as another poster has alluded to, James might have other things to be bothering him rather worrying about what jockey he ca jock off next when his horse doesn't win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Culloty is gone to ground, twitter and facebook pages gone after a backlash on social media, phone must be gone too, given no journalist has got his version of reasons for such action

But as another poster has alluded to, James might have other things to be bothering him rather worrying about what jockey he ca jock off next when his horse doesn't win

Chapman tried to have producers call him on Sunday Forum too. Voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Interesting that robbie mac said on twitter that this has been coming for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I see Davy Russell is back on a Culloty horse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement