Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 25/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ten game winning streak incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm on page 1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We're into the final stretch now. This topic will probably take us to the end of the season and maybe into a few transfers. I fully expect a new thread to be needed when we complete the signing of Messi, Ronaldo and Pogba. :P

Challenge accepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Hopefully this thread will see the signing of a bumper contract for this man!

1414369463015_wps_67_David_De_Gea_of_Mancheste.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We all love United lads, wahey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

From the last thread:
    Liam O wrote: »
    Am I watching different games to people? Evans last night made some crucial headers, great passes to the front players and prevented a goal in a 2 on 1 situation by not committing himself. What did Smalling do? Almost give away a penalty and was out of position for 90% of the game. He's another like Young who's getting away with useless performances for no reason at all.

Evans was class all right. He was strong and disciplined when defending and he was very confident on the ball.

But I disagree with you on Smalling. Except for the penalty shout, he was very good as well.

There were a few Newcastle counter attacks where he was caught up the field, but that doesn't mean he was out of position. Smalling and Evans both made so many forward runs, with Blind dropping back, that they must have been under instructions to make those runs. It was only by chance that Newcastle's counters came together on some occasions when Smalling was up the field rather than Evans. When Smalling was in the back four I don't remember any particular problems with his positioning and I remember a lot of good strong defending.

LVG is a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    From the last thread:

Evans was class all right. He was strong and disciplined when defending and he was very confident on the ball.

But I disagree with you on Smalling. Except for the penalty shout, he was very good as well.

There were a few Newcastle counter attacks where he was caught up the field, but that doesn't mean he was out of position. Smalling and Evans both made so many forward runs, with Blind dropping back, that they must have been under instructions to make those runs. It was only by chance that Newcastle's counters came together on some occasions when Smalling was up the field rather than Evans. When Smalling was in the back four I don't remember any particular problems with his positioning and I remember a lot of good strong defending.

Maybe I am being harsh on him but there are far more clean sheets with Evans in the team than Smalling this season, despite everyone rating Smalling as better. Not saying Evans has done well by any stretch of the imagination but the gaping hole in the middle of defense when the ball is lost just seems to be more down to Smalling than anyone else most of the time. I like Jones and Evans despite them not being good this season because they have shown in previous seasons that they can be the players we want them to be, and have better attributes than Smalling imo. Smalling on the other hand has been awful for a long time imo and has not shown in a long time he has what it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

stankratz wrote: »
    LVG is a spoofer

Still hold the naive line of "imagine where we will be when we start to play well" he gave months back.

And it must hold true somewhere. Eventually the team, be it this season or next, will have to get back into the stride of good performances and wins, being a force again. And I do hold hope that we will be a serious force once that happens.

Too much strength on paper for this project to not succeed, especially with what no doubt will be more players coming in during the summer.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Still hold the naive line of "imagine where we will be when we start to play well" he gave months back.

And it must hold true somewhere. Eventually the team, be it this season or next, will have to get back into the stride of good performances and wins, being a force again. And I do hold hope that we will be a serious force once that happens.

Too much strength on paper for this project to not succeed, especially with what no doubt will be more players coming in during the summer.

With you all the way there Doc on the positivity couch, I was just getting one absurd statement out of the way early in the thread.

• Advertisement

I thought Di Maria was okay, not great, which was a big improvement on the previous game. I think all the stick he has gotten for this game is very wrong. He went on some nice runs, had some good passes and made space for his teammates, and just lacked having a move fully come off for him. I thought Young, going forward, was anonymous in comparison and was lucky to stay on.

Rojo looks fairly weak in the air and that's a worry.

Blind was poor for me. For a central-midfielder his first touch is very poor. Even though Newcastle defended so deep he made very little use of the space and managed to slow down a good few passing moves by getting himself turned the wrong way when he received the ball. Herrera did okay, but ended up having to do too much of the link up play on his own.

Rooney did excellent work upfront always providing an option for a pass or through ball, he was unlucky to not have a goal or two. He should have been starting there all season. Fellaini did very well in the first half, but tired in the second and I'd have liked to see him subbed 10-15 minutes earlier.

DDG was pure class as usual.

Overall, I though the performance was a bit promising. How it has taken LVG this long to work out that Rooney should be up front, we should use only one CF, Herrera in midfield and a back four is ridiculous. The harm he has done from his use of unsuitable formations and key players out of position, added to the defensive injuries, has thoroughly fūcked up the season so far. Hopefully he keeps this formation and the team might start to build some fluidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

massive couple of months ahead......

real Madrid once had zidane, figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Raul, Roborto Carlos all on the same team sheet and they weren't exactly a success

bangkok wrote: »
    real Madrid once had zidane, figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Raul, Roborto Carlos all on the same team sheet and they weren't exactly a success

When were they ever struggling to qualify for the CL?

When were they ever struggling to qualify for the CL?

I presume when the OP was talking about the project, it wasn't to finish top 4, it was to be challenging for the league and champions league, back where we belong

Well I know Zidane won a fair few bits while he was there, so I use that as the benchmark of the galatico era.

A league title, Champions league, few cups and other trophies as well as runner ups in five years isn't exactly a disaster either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Carlos/Zidane/Raul/Figo all won it in 02?

Well I know Zidane won a fair few bits while he was there, so I use that as the benchmark of the galatico era.

A league title, Champions league, few cups and other trophies as well as runner ups in five years isn't exactly a disaster either....

5 years 1 league title, 1 champions league, runner up twice, for a team that broke the world record on players numerous times during that period it was ultimately a failure.

in 5 seasons, Ronaldo only won 1 la liga

• Well **** post 19

Maybe I am being harsh on him but there are far more clean sheets with Evans in the team than Smalling this season, despite everyone rating Smalling as better. Not saying Evans has done well by any stretch of the imagination but the gaping hole in the middle of defense when the ball is lost just seems to be more down to Smalling than anyone else most of the time. I like Jones and Evans despite them not being good this season because they have shown in previous seasons that they can be the players we want them to be, and have better attributes than Smalling imo. Smalling on the other hand has been awful for a long time imo and has not shown in a long time he has what it takes.

Ignoring games where they were subbed off early or on late, Evans was involved in 7 clean sheets to Smalling's 5. That is a negligible sample size for something with so many other factors influencing it. There's no way you can use that as evidence of anything.

Can you give any specific examples of when Smalling was out of position? Because imo once you account for the times when it was okay for him to be up the pitch, his positioning was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Smalling starts games pretty slowly. That's a confidence thing to me, he doesn't seem the most confident player. He's got way more gifts than Evans however, and Jones too I think. Liam, you're mad in your assessment of Smalling's form. He's been our best defender for nearly eighteen months. I've wanted him in the first team since January of last year. Smalling has put it on the road for us consistently for the last two seasons. Evans and Jones simply haven't.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    I thought Di Maria was okay, not great, which was a big improvement on the previous game. I think all the stick he has gotten for this game is very wrong. He went on some nice runs, had some good passes and made space for his teammates, and just lacked having a move fully come off for him. I thought Young, going forward, was anonymous in comparison and was lucky to stay on.

Rojo looks fairly weak in the air and that's a worry.

Blind was poor for me. For a central-midfielder his first touch is very poor. Even though Newcastle defended so deep he made very little use of the space and managed to slow down a good few passing moves by getting himself turned the wrong way when he received the ball. Herrera did okay, but ended up having to do too much of the link up play on his own.

Rooney did excellent work upfront always providing an option for a pass or through ball, he was unlucky to not have a goal or two. He should have been starting there all season. Fellaini did very well in the first half, but tired in the second and I'd have liked to see him subbed 10-15 minutes earlier.

DDG was pure class as usual.

Overall, I though the performance was a bit promising. How it has taken LVG this long to work out that Rooney should be up front, we should use only one CF, Herrera in midfield and a back four is ridiculous. The harm he has done from his use of unsuitable formations and key players out of position, added to the defensive injuries, has thoroughly fūcked up the season so far. Hopefully he keeps this formation and the team might start to build some fluidity.

I had mentioned this in the previous thread. He worked well with Valencia and restricting him to the wings seems to have had a benefit. Although there was one occasion where he lost possession in midfield and put us under severe pressure in the second half.
    Eventually, one of his crosses has to come off, I think one assist should be enough to give him the boost of confidence he needs.
    He looked awful disappointed when he was subbed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Mmmmmm new thread smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Evans has issued a statement denying spitting at Cisse.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2015/Mar/jonny-evans-releases-statement-following-the-match-at-newcastle.aspx

Statement from Jonny Evans

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has released a statement regarding the match against Newcastle United at St James' Park...

"Having woken up this morning I am shocked to have seen the media coverage from last night’s match. I would like to make it clear that I did not spit at Papiss Cisse.

"I was totally unaware of any spitting incident and had assumed that the issue at the time was with the challenge and his attempted retaliation to the tackle from the floor. During the game Papiss Cisse and I spoke about the incident and it is clear by my reaction in the television footage that I was totally surprised by any suggestion of spitting.

"It is not in my character or in my nature to spit at anybody nor is it something I have ever done or would ever do. It is certainly not something that I did last night."

adox wrote: »
    Evans has issued a statement denying spitting at Cisse.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2015/Mar/jonny-evans-releases-statement-following-the-match-at-newcastle.aspx

Statement from Jonny Evans

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has released a statement regarding the match against Newcastle United at St James' Park...

"Having woken up this morning I am shocked to have seen the media coverage from last night’s match. I would like to make it clear that I did not spit at Papiss Cisse.

"I was totally unaware of any spitting incident and had assumed that the issue at the time was with the challenge and his attempted retaliation to the tackle from the floor. During the game Papiss Cisse and I spoke about the incident and it is clear by my reaction in the television footage that I was totally surprised by any suggestion of spitting.

"It is not in my character or in my nature to spit at anybody nor is it something I have ever done or would ever do. It is certainly not something that I did last night."

Cisse said in his statement: "I have apologies to make to a lot of people today. Firstly to my team-mates and to our supporters, secondly to Jonny Evans, and thirdly to every football fan who saw the incident between myself and Jonny.
    "I reacted to something I found very unpleasant. Sometimes it is hard not to react, particularly in the heat of the moment. I have always tried hard to be positive a role model, especially for our young fans, and yesterday I let you down.

2 of them will receive heavy punishments imo

Have to say it wasn't until the dissection afterwards that I saw the spitting.

Cisse lashed out and Evans got in his grill, thought that was the entire thing at first until the replay.

It's pretty clear Evans spits, and he was looking straight into Cisse's eyes when he did it, not like he turned away to do it and let a slider out by accident.

Poor form trying to dodge the bullet when it was nailed on obvious what occured. Would have preferred he just owned up and takes his licks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Have to say it wasn't until the dissection afterwards that I saw the spitting.

Cisse lashed out and Evans got in his grill, thought that was the entire thing at first until the replay.

It's pretty clear Evans spits, and he was looking straight into Cisse's eyes when he did it, not like he turned away to do it and let a slider out by accident.

Poor form trying to dodge the bullet when it was nailed on obvious what occured. Would have preferred he just owned up and takes his licks.

I have to agree. When you watch it back it looks completely intentional, and now he just looks dishonest on top of it. Cisse was a fool for reacting how he did, and yet I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Manky thing to experience. And at least he accepted responsibility and apologised.

Like I said earlier I'm unsure, because it only seemed that it got close to Cisse because he jolted up suddenly. I think he did it without thinking and wasn't as malicious as some are making out. Both were idiots but anything over a couple of games ban is complete overkill. I'm going to believe Evans and some of the comments regarding "Oh it's great hopefully he's played his last game for United" in the other thread were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I don't know what Evans is at denying it so vehemently. The evidence is there and looks pretty undeniable to me.

Also, I said last night that I'd have put on Mata for Fellaini at half time, and I still stick by that. However, I do think Fellaini is a good player to have for a few reasons, wouldn't want him sold, and I agree with Gowl that he's often wrongly thought of as a big oaf with no technical ability. In last nights game we had huge amounts of possession, in the opposition half, and I felt fellaini wasn't providing the link from midfield to Rooney that Mata could. Lots of people see him shrugging off heavy challenges and think ''if that was mata/di maria/whoever, they'd have lost the ball.'' I kinda think this is an unfair assumption, as those players are much more agile and can accelerate away from challeneges faster. Fellaini also quite often stops and waits to absorb the challenges. Not that this isn't effective or whatever, but it's not fair to use it as a stick to beat Mata and co with, and so I don't think it's a valid reason to say we had to keep Fellaini on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would like to see the incident again in normal speed. To me it looked completely accidental, but when they showed the replays in slow motion it looked more intentional than it was imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I would like to see the incident again in normal speed. To me it looked completely accidental, but when they showed the replays in slow motion it looked more intentional than it was imo.

The slow motion replays are how the panel will analyse it, and it looks sinister as ****.

In the video posted at this link I don't think it's clear that Evans actually spat on Cisse, wait for the second angle, I don't think he actually gets Cisse and it lands on the ground. Cisse definitely spits on Evans neck though. Evans might have got Cisse after all, but from the second angle, it looks like he spits on front of Cisse towards the ground.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jonny-evans-papiss-cisse-spit-5274843

Not trying to find an out for Evans, if he did spit on Cisse he deserves the ban for sure. What do you guys think?

In the video posted at this link I don't think it's clear that Evans actually spat on Cisse, wait for the second angle, I don't think he actually gets Cisse and it lands on the ground. Cisse definitely spits on Evans neck though. Evans might have got Cisse after all, but from the second angle, it looks like he spits on front of Cisse towards the ground.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jonny-evans-papiss-cisse-spit-5274843

Not trying to find an out for Evans, if he did spit on Cisse he deserves the ban for sure. What do you guys think?

I think that's right, purely because of the motion of Evans' head. There was no head movement towards Cisse like you'd expect if someone was maliciously spitting on someone. That's why it took so long for anyone to notice that there was a spit in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Southampton are a great price at 6/1 to finish in top four. Don't think they have that hard of a run in

Robson99 wrote: »
    Southampton are a great price at 6/1 to finish in top four. Don't think they have that hard of a run in

I really don't think that's a good bet... They're showing the run of form everyone was expecting of them finally; a bad one.

Yeah I think it's easy to say that we will struggle to nail the top 4 considering the fixtures we have left. And while I've absolutely nothing to base this on, considering it didn't happen last year, nor this year, but it's not beyond the realms of reality, that a team of our quality and manager of Van Gaals experience, just "clicks" and we battle our way through this tough fixture list with impressive results.

Could be cuckoo land stuff, but I have to believe at some point our players and management, will get it right, and give this big run of games a SERIOUS go.

A second season out of the CL will be a massively bitter pill to swallow, but if there is some light of things to come in this home stretch, we can maybe stomach it. A second season out of the CL would be a bonafide disaster, aslong as we don't fade away without a whimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if they had a better performing striker i think theyd be in with a chance but with pelle off the boil and no one really to score i think theyll finish 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Cisse and Evans both charged. Facing a minimum ban of 6 games according to Rob Harris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

6 games seems a lot considering Terry got 4. Although this is the FA so logic goes out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Found this piece of paper today in a cardboard box in the attic,its dated the 5th of January 1987

340990.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Found this piece of paper today in a cardboard box in the attic

LvG out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Typical Arsenal. .. They blew that one too... Toffees won it , pool runners up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Found this piece of paper today in a cardboard box in the attic,its dated the 5th of January 1987

Waterford UTD with a 3-1 win and would go two points behing the leaders if they win there game in hand, sweet.

Different scenario these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Luton was rocking in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Enjoyed Van Gaals interview today

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/manchester-united/9745515/no-rift-with-giggs

He despises the media :) A joy to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lads this is a must watch

UTD vs Arsenal LVG pre match press conference

It goes from funny to bizare, to hostile. LVG is asked about the spitting incident and before he answers it he apologises for being in his "work" clothes :pac:

The he is asked about the celebration incident with Giggs. A reporter asks if its a "Good cop, bad cop" relationship. LVG doesn't get the analogy and it raises a few chuckles but when its explained to him by another reporter he gets very pissed off. At first I thought he was joking but he is really angry. You could cut the tension with a chainsaw by the end of it.

LVG reaches sacrasim level 100 here with his reply, its brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Luton was rocking in those days.

Bohs were actually decent too *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He also expressed his man love for De Gea

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/30778/9744574/david-de-gea-is-an-unbelievable-goalkeeper-says-louis-van-gaal

"David De Gea, this year, is unbelievable," said van Gaal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement