Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

Comments

Paully D wrote: »
    finishes of 12th, 5th, 16th and 10th...

A very decent showing in a club that last won the league 90 years ago and were in the second tier as recently as 2010 but where, for some unknown reason, expectation far far exceeds reality for some fans.

He does seem like an unpleasant man, but then again that's kinda irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That_Guy wrote: »
    I suppose losing 19 (half) of our league games last year count as "good results". 11 of those games saw us concede 3 or more goals. But yeah. Ignore facts and all that. Everyone else does. We're just fickle.

Ah this old chestnut. Don't see anybody around here saying that we deserve to be anywhere near the top of the table.

What I do see and hear from other Newcastle fans is that we want a manager who goes about his job in a classy and dignified way. Yes, we'll lose games but we just want the team set up right with players giving their all in their correct positions.

Pardew proved time and time again to be completely inept with his team and nullified a lot of creativity by adopting a more defensive approach with players who really can't defend for shít.

Continually applying a 4-2-3-1 with little or no results is utter madness. Trying things out every so often is grand but to not see what the world and its dog can week in and week out was infuriating.

I'm glad he looks to be gone. His ego and his character, admittedly I liked at one stage, wore off pretty fast with his spoofing and utter crap pouring out of his mouth.

A club that once had Bobby Robson leading the way to a gutter mouth smug so and so in Pardew is not fitting of a Newcastle I grew up with.

The club is rotten and until Ashley goes it'll remain rotten but at least one part of the furniture has been taken away for now. Who we get in? Who knows? Likely Coloccini if sources are to be believed.

Or am I in "fairyland"?

You boys have a piss poor squad. He has a very difficult job with the owner he has and the expectations of the fans. Let's face it, the season before he came in, you were in the Championship.

He's finished 12th, 5th, 16th and 10th. That's pretty decent for Newcastle where you are right now. You refer to a lot of stuff above like "want a manager who goes about his job in a classy and dignified way", "His ego and his character", "his spoofing and utter crap pouring out of his mouth" and "to a gutter mouth smug so and so in Pardew". If you read my original post, I don't disagree with any of that.

Pardew's career is riddled with rumours of all sorts of disgusting behaviour while on more than one occasion, he's conducted himself really badly in public. Personally, I watch football to be entertained and have quite enjoyed stuff like the spat with Wenger, calling Pellegrini an "old c**t" and the headbutt last year. It's pure box office although I probably wouldn't want him associated with my team.

But my point has nothing to do with behaviour or how he carries himself. It's results. And based on results, over his four year tenure, he's done okay. The league finishes haven't been bad. Given that you were relegated five years ago, he's done well. He got you 5th FFS. You've beaten Chelsea, Spurs, United and Liverpool over the last two seasons. That's punching well above your weight.

You can hark back to the Keegan and Robson years all you want but they didn't have to deal with the sh!te that Pardew has to deal with. I'm not saying Pardew's a better manager or in their league, I'm just saying that based on results and the circumstances he's managing in, he's doing pretty well.

Yes you could get a more classy manager, yes you could get a manager who would play better football but if you think that any manager will have you above mid-table, you're off your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You boys have a piss poor squad. He has a very difficult job with the owner he has and the expectations of the fans. Let's face it, the season before he came in, you were in the Championship.

I don't think our squad is that bad on paper. It's a little light in some areas but sure what squad isn't? What has gotten up many fans' backs is that Pardew hasn't played our best players in their best positions.

I don't know exactly what expectations you think we have. As per the owner, he's a huge problem but it's an easy excuse to make for him over and over again.
    He's finished 12th, 5th, 16th and 10th.

I can let him away with 12th because he came in halfway through the season but finishing 16th and 10th over the last couple of years are deplorable.

People like to say that we over achieved by finishing 5th and this may be the case but we over achieved a 10th place finish last time out. We had probably the worst record in the league and despite our best efforts, we couldn't even get relegated.
    It's pure box office although I probably wouldn't want him associated with my team.

To the neutral perhaps but he's an embarrassment really.
    You've beaten Chelsea, Spurs, United and Liverpool over the last two seasons. That's punching well above your weight.

As have many other teams. "Punching above our weight" by winning a rare game over these teams despite our record being quite poor against many of these teams you have mentioned.

Pull the other one.
    Yes you could get a more classy manager, yes you could get a manager who would play better football but if you think that any manager will have you above mid-table, you're off your head.

You're talking shít. Where are all of these expectations coming from? Where have I said that I want us above mid-table?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Sherwood isn't going to Newcastle, he is going to West Brom.

Pardew has done a great job at Newcastle.

He only got them promoted to the premier league a few years ago.
    Gets them into Europe.
    Is not backed financially by the owner. I think he went 18 months without signing a player on a permanent deal.
    Constantly faced with selling his best players.
    Scouting system has unearthed a good few decent players who have increased in value.
    Always met the owners objectives.

The problem is Ashley. Newcastle will only get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gits_bone wrote: »

Gets them into Europe.
    Is not backed financially by the owner. I think he went 18 months without signing a player on a permanent deal.
    Constantly faced with selling his best players.
    Scouting system has unearthed a good few decent players who have increased in value.
    Always met the owners objectives.

The problem is Ashley. Newcastle will only get worse.

It was Hughton who got them promoted.

You're talking shít. Where are all of these expectations coming from? Where have I said that I want us above mid-table?

I'll make this as simple as I can.

A lot of people on this thread have said he's done sh!t at Newcastle results wise. He hasn't. You've had two mid table finishes under him, one poor finish and one great finish.

If you don't think Newcastle should be above mid-table then you have to accept he's done a reasonable to good job based purely on results. That was my original point.

However, it does appear that you have loftier expectations than mid-table because you have said that "finishing 16th and 10th over the last couple of years are deplorable."

16th is poor I grant you but 10th is a mid table finish. If you find that deplorable, presumably you expect to finish higher?

No he hasn't.

And no he didn't.

I'll make this as simple as I can.

A lot of people on this thread have said he's done sh!t at Newcastle results wise. He hasn't. You've had two mid table finishes under him, one poor finish and one great finish.

If you don't think Newcastle should be above mid-table then you have to accept he's done a reasonable to good job based purely on results. That was my original point.

However, it does appear that you have loftier expectations than mid-table because you have said that "finishing 16th and 10th over the last couple of years are deplorable."

16th is poor I grant you but 10th is a mid table finish. If you find that deplorable, presumably you expect to finish higher?

Finishing 16th and finishing 10th are deplorable given the manner of how each season went.

On paper 10th looks great but losing 19 games last season is not. It shows how poor the league (the bottom half at least) were that they couldn't even catch us.

I don't have lofty expectations whatsoever. We're going nowhere under Ashley and a top half finish is not out of our reach. I'd be happy enough with that given the circumstances but for a sizable fanbase (52K a week) is it too much to even ask that we show a bit of ambition in the future? Clearly it is.

Newcastle have all the potential in the world but Ashley has zero ambition. A new owner would surely push us to a more ambitious level but that's not likely to happen in the near future.

I won't be content with mediocrity for too long but right now that's what we are as it stands.

• Advertisement

Finishing 16th and finishing 10th are deplorable given the manner of how each season went.

On paper 10th looks great but losing 19 games last season is not. It shows how poor the league (the bottom half at least) were that they couldn't even catch us.

I don't have lofty expectations whatsoever. We're going nowhere under Ashley and a top half finish is not out of our reach. I'd be happy enough with that given the circumstances but for a sizable fanbase (52K a week) is it too much to even ask that we show a bit of ambition in the future? Clearly it is.

Newcastle have all the potential in the world but Ashley has zero ambition. A new owner would surely push us to a more ambitious level but that's not likely to happen in the near future.

I won't be content with mediocrity for too long but right now that's what we are as it stands.

He finished 10th in the league? Do you think he should have finished much higher?

On the 16th placed finish, it was poor but they were in Europe and he was struggling to sign players. Still poor granted. However, David Moyes did a fantastic job overall at Everton. In his second or third season, he finished 17th with a total of 39 points. Other seasons, that could have been relegation. Bad seasons sometimes happen to clubs like Everton, Spurs and Newcastle. It isn't always just the manager's fault or it isn't always definitive proof that the manager is useless.

Granted, Newcastle should be doing better with their fanbase. But a lot of the problems are down to the owner. The manager, for all his faults, has done alright results wise and it's wrong to say he hasn't in my view.

The proof of how well he's done at Newcastle will be how the results go once he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Any chance of that Qatari regime buying Newcastle instead of Spurs?

Nobody would be sorry to see the back of Ashley....

He finished 10th in the league? Do you think he should have finished much higher?

If anything we should have finished much lower. Bar a purple patch, we were abysmal. He was continuously feeding us BS of, "we can't compete with the likes of Stoke/Southampton financially".
    Truly incredible and disrespectful stuff.

We know where we are but it's a ready made excuse with him. Like Mourinho he'll blame all and sundry before looking at how inept his side actually are.
    On the 16th placed finish, it was poor but they were in Europe and he was struggling to sign players.

Again, a ready made excuse. We actually did sign players but nowhere near the quality we truly needed and nobody in the areas we truly needed.

Pardew was quick to blame the EL for our poor form. Granted, Ashley released some paltry funds for him but it's pretty disrespectful to come out with nonsense like this.

He could have gotten the sympathy vote from many fans but instead he towed the party line over and over again.

Again, this deflects away from his performance as a manager.
    Still poor granted. However, David Moyes did a fantastic job overall at Everton. In his second or third season, he finished 17th with a total of 39 points. Other seasons, that could have been relegation. Bad seasons sometimes happen to clubs like Everton, Spurs and Newcastle. It isn't always just the manager's fault or it isn't always definitive proof that the manager is useless.

Moyes isn't involved with Newcastle so this is a pretty irrelevant point.
    Granted, Newcastle should be doing better with their fanbase. But a lot of the problems are down to the owner. The manager, for all his faults, has done alright results wise and it's wrong to say he hasn't in my view.

As I've mentioned, Ashley is the problem but Pardew played his part too. I think it's wrong to ignore the facts about Pardew's record too in my view.
    The proof of how well he's done at Newcastle will be how the results go once he's gone.

Can't wait to see how wrong you are... Hopefully. All depends on Ashley's next appointment which is worrying in itself.

If anything we should have finished much lower. Bar a purple patch, we were abysmal. He was continuously feeding us BS of, "we can't compete with the likes of Stoke/Southampton financially".
    Truly incredible and disrespectful stuff.

We know where we are but it's a ready made excuse with him. Like Mourinho he'll blame all and sundry before looking at how inept his side actually are.

Again, a ready made excuse. We actually did sign players but nowhere near the quality we truly needed and nobody in the areas we truly needed.

Pardew was quick to blame the EL for our poor form. Granted, Ashley released some paltry funds for him but it's pretty disrespectful to come out with nonsense like this.

He could have gotten the sympathy vote from many fans but instead he towed the party line over and over again.

Again, this deflects away from his performance as a manager.

Moyes isn't involved with Newcastle so this is a pretty irrelevant point.

As I've mentioned, Ashley is the problem but Pardew played his part too. I think it's wrong to ignore the facts about Pardew's record too in my view.

Can't wait to see how wrong you are... Hopefully. All depends on Ashley's next appointment which is worrying in itself.

Too much in here to continue arguing about mate. You have your view and I have mine.

Let's see how it pans out once he leaves. I'll be back in May. Newcastle finish higher than they are now and I owe you a pint. :D

Too much in here to continue arguing about mate. You have your view and I have mine.

Can I count this as a victory to me?
    Let's see how it pans out once he leaves. I'll be back in May. Newcastle finish higher than they are now and I owe you a pint. :D

I'll have a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat

I find Newcastle fans get a lot of stick for having ideas above their station. I think they should have higher ambitions for what is a huge club.

Pardew isn't the problem there, we know that. The problem is Ashley and one of the reasons is he appoints someone like Pardew as Newcastle manager. The club is too big for the likes of him.

Someone mentioned about the possibility of the Qatari government buying Newcastle. This is something I've been banging on about for years since this trend started of billionaires buying clubs and making them successful, especially when they haven't really had a history of success before.

I can't believe nobody has bought Newcastle. I think they're prime for it. A big club with a fantastic fanbase, a one club city. There's a brilliant stadium already there smack bang in the city centre. I assume there wouldn't be any problems expanding the stadium if needs be?

Surely it's only a matter of time until some billionaire buys Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

What exactly has he turned around out of curiosity? Winning a few games on the trot doesn't make up for anything as far as I'm concerned.

Out of 229 matches here's his record.

W - 83
    D - 50
    L - 96
    GD - 63

Winning a few games on the trot is about is more than can be expected considering the circumstances. The Squad he has is very, very poor, add that to a moronic owner and a set of fans who are always on his back and I think he has done very well, Went on a serious run that included taking down Chelsea, City Liverpool and Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

By all accounts, Pardew is an odious cretin, perhaps the football his teams play isn't great but for anyone who thinks his results were dreadful, you're talking sh1te. Pardew has done a very good job results wise. Once he goes, people will realise just how good.

If Newcastle fans think they belong anywhere above where they are, they're living in Fantasyland.

An astute assessment, sir. Some serious delusion in the minds of Newcastle fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the Pardew thing at Newcastle thing at interesting, and the views of 'outside' fans, of which I would be one.

It seems that Newcastle fans have a poorer view of him than non-Newcastle ones. I'd equate it to how sometimes non-Villa fans praise Agbonlahor and how decent a player he is, when in reality he hasn't done **** all for about 5 years now.

The next appointment at Newcastle will be quite interesting. I think Newcastle should be doing a little bit better than where they are. They've seen some quality players come through the last few years (Cabaye, Krul, Sissoko, Ben Arfa (when he's bothered). I think their centre backs has been a problem for them last few years, had quite a few play there from what I remember.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think the Pardew thing at Newcastle thing at interesting, and the views of 'outside' fans, of which I would be one.

It seems that Newcastle fans have a poorer view of him than non-Newcastle ones. I'd equate it to how sometimes non-Villa fans praise Agbonlahor and how decent a player he is, when in reality he hasn't done **** all for about 5 years now.

The next appointment at Newcastle will be quite interesting.

Unless that next manager has them gunning for the title, with free flowing football within three months, they'll be whinging again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Saipanne wrote: »
    Unless that next manager has them gunning for the title, with free flowing football within three months, they'll be whinging again.

Exaggeration much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A lot of the criticism of the Newcastle fans come from them not giving a proven manager like Sam Allardyce time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Personally I think Ashley would be better off hiring a former club legend, or at least someone within the club, as their next manager. It was the same when they appointed Sam Allardyce. It seemed like right from the off the supporters were on his back, despite being a well established (albeit not the most fashionable in terms of management style) Premier League manager.

I obviously don't want to compare the two scenarios as the circumstances have changed since then, but it demonstrates the supporter's almost unwillingness to accept an outsider managing their team, unless of course they're already vastly experienced (in which case they probably wouldn't want to manage Newcastle in the first place!)

Similar to another poster though, I am also surprised that Newcastle haven't been taken over by some billionaire oil tycoon, simply because of it's massive fan base. They're almost guaranteed to have a full house every home game, even when things aren't going swimmingly. It reminds me of the time when City were in Division 2 (now known as League 1) and still drew in crowds that rivaled most Premier League games at the time!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Personally I think Ashley would be better off hiring a former club legend, or at least someone within the club, as their next manager. It was the same when they appointed Sam Allardyce in the season they got relegated. It seemed like right from the off the supporters were on his back, despite being a well established (albeit not the most fashionable in terms of management style) Premier League manager.

They got relegated the following season with Keegan, Kinnear and Shearer as managers. Allardyce had them 11th in the table when ousted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Going by the 2014 table, Pardew has gotten 42 points in 38 games, winning only 12 games with a goal difference of -27. That's dreadful whatever way you look at it, especially for a team like Newcastle. Only Villa, West Brom and Hull were worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Going by the 2014 table, Pardew has gotten 42 points in 38 games, winning only 12 games with a goal difference of -27. That's dreadful whatever way you look at it, especially for a team like Newcastle. Only Villa, West Brom and Hull were worse.

Yeah, going by the image that was posted a while back, Villa being worse was a common theme throughout! So much so that I'm surprised that they haven't started up a website called sacklambert.com! :D :pac: (I actually had to check there to make sure they hadn't!)

Not a fan of such stats, myself. They are two different seasons. Different squads.

A lot of the criticism of the Newcastle fans come from them not giving a proven manager like Sam Allardyce time.

Agreed. I found this an interesting article.

Alan Pardew, the River Island Tony Pulis, disguised Newcastle’s real issues

http://gu.com/p/44gx2

An astute assessment, sir. Some serious delusion in the minds of Newcastle fans.

Delusion?

And then you post this shíte?

Hughton didn't have us gunning for the title (Championship aside) and we didn't want him gone.

Seriously, you should give up WUMMING. You're not good at it.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yeah, going by the image that was posted a while back, Villa being worse was a common theme throughout! So much so that I'm surprised that they haven't started up a website called sacklambert.com! :D :pac: (I actually had to check there to make sure they hadn't!)

As long as he doesn't start head butting other team's players he should be reasonably safe.

Not a fan of such stats, myself. They are two different seasons. Different squads.

Not a fan of stats? Obviously, given that you and many others blatantly ignore them when it comes to Newcastle's results.

But you clearly know better than most of us who have watched us for many years week in and week out.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of stats? Obviously, given that you and many others blatantly ignore them when it comes to Newcastle's results.

But you clearly know better than most of us who have watched us for many years week in and week out.

That's not what I said, my boy. Tut, tut.

That's not what I said, my boy. Tut, tut.

You mention that we had two different squads right?

Krul
    Coloccini
    Santon
    Williamson
    Sissoko
    Anita
    Cisse
    Gouffran
    Ryan Taylor
    Haidara
    Bigirimana
    Eliot
    Tiote
    Obertan
    Steven Taylor
    Sammy Ameobi
    Vuckic
    Dummett
    Abeid

That's the group of players who have been with us for the past two seasons and more.

Haven't even mentioned the loans of Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Mbiwa

Minus Cabaye/Carroll we've hardly changed a great deal. What point are you trying to make again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Dont get stick against Pardew....abandoning stats.....this poor run seems correlated with Jak Alnwick who is out of contract and probably wont be retained becoming number one keeper. Until then all was rosy. Now its flipped. Considering Ashley as chairman I think Pardew did very well. Newcastle will regret him when he is gone. Just like what happened with Allardyce.

You mention that we had two different squads right?

Krul
    Coloccini
    Santon
    Williamson
    Sissoko
    Anita
    Cisse
    Gouffran
    Ryan Taylor
    Haidara
    Bigirimana
    Eliot
    Tiote
    Obertan
    Steven Taylor
    Sammy Ameobi
    Vuckic
    Dummett
    Abeid

That's the group of players who have been with us for the past two seasons and more.

Haven't even mentioned the loans of Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Mbiwa

Minus Cabaye/Carroll we've hardly changed a great deal. What point are you trying to make again?

Misleading people again. Tut, tut.

Dont get stick against Pardew

The stats are all there to see.
    ....abandoning stats.....

Ok
    this poor run seems correlated with Jak Alnwick who is out of contract and probably wont be retained becoming number one keeper.

While Alnwick has been poor he's not totally at fault. A shambolic defence and the way they've been set up and the continued selection of Mike Williamson are at fault here. Coloccini, while not blameless, is pretty much being asked to cover two positions because of Williamson's dreadful performances.

Just because we're down a couple of keepers, it should not be a ready made excuse. Our poor form, Everton aside, is down to poor management of games and players playing who shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I'll give you an example. There's Gouffran on Sunday. Sky commentators talking about how "Gouffran adds an extra layer of protection for the full back" is nonsense. Anybody who watches him week in and week out knows how utterly useless he is and was at fault for the first goal we conceded against Everton.

People see our players on paper and say, "ah yeah, I've seen him a couple of times and he's been good" when this is largely not the case with many of our players.
    Until then all was rosy. Now its flipped. Considering Ashley as chairman I think Pardew did very well. Newcastle will regret him when he is gone. Just like what happened with Allardyce.

All wasn't rosy at all. We had a similar purple patch akin to last season and it all went tits up when we sold Cabaye in January. Again, another ready made excuse for Pardew to dwell on when we inevitably got fúck all money to replace him with until summer.

EDIT: Should say that this isn't Pardew's fault about having no money but it was grating that he seemed content with the situation. Any man worth his salt would have been questioning things saying, "hold on a minute, we just got a huge lump of cash for our most important player and a load of TV money. You have to give me something to work with here".

I hear people in the media who supposedly know Pardew and say he's an ambitious man. Towing the party line and not challenging a lack of budget is not the actions of an ambitious man in my eyes.

Misleading people again. Tut, tut.

Typical reply from someone incapable of holding a debate. Standard for you. Tut tut indeed.

Typical reply from someone incapable of holding a debate. Standard for you. Tut tut indeed.

It's just difficult to debate with someone who misleads so much. I mean, what's the point? Where do you start which such blatant lies? What hope is there that you won't lie again?

Better to just ignore you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wonder what the odds on mike Ashley becoming new manager are . It might be worth a 5 euro bet .

It's just difficult to debate with someone who misleads so much. I mean, what's the point? Where do you start which such blatant lies? What hope is there that you won't lie again?

Better to just ignore you.

Tell me where I've lied then. At least back up your claims FFS. What exactly have I misled people on?

Christ man.

• Advertisement

Delusion?

And then you post this shíte?

Hughton didn't have us gunning for the title (Championship aside) and we didn't want him gone.

Seriously, you should give up WUMMING. You're not good at it.

Did Hughton get ye into Europe?

Did Hughton get ye into Europe?

Nope. But at least he handled himself in a dignified way with a team that was set up to actually compete and we won something under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

That Guy you underestimate the importance of a GK....yes Williamson isn't very good but do you honestly think that results wouldnt be better with Krul (or even Elliot) ahead of Alnwick. De Gea has saved Uniteds defence many times. He had to make more saves than Alnwick yet Alnwick conceded 3 and DDG only one. Same with Liverpool better defenders than Newcastle but Mignolet unnerved the whole back line. Williamson is serviceable as a defender maybe not for a strongest XI but I can't believe you don't see misfortunate injuries and Alnwick to be related to this slump. If it was Krul you would have stood stronger a 3rd choice naturally worries defenders...same when Arsenals Martinez and Hulls Jakupovic were called in.

I don't deny that a GK is important but I don't think it's the fundamental reason why we had a slump.

Problems lie all over the pitch particularly in the final third. Our creativity is severely lacking and aimlessly lashing balls over the top to a lone striker doesn't help much.

We've not had best of luck with injuries but for somebody who spends the bulk of his time trying to set us up defensively, we've been utter crap in that department.

Alnwick has been poor. No denying that. He's been thrust in there way to early and his confidence is probably shot to bits having conceded over 10 goals in 2 weeks.

It's hard to fully blame the keeper. Can't be easy especially with a brittle defence who leave him exposed far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Would Pulis be acceptable from Newcastle fans point of view?

Would Pulis be acceptable from Newcastle fans point of view?

Hard one to know really. I certainly don't think he'd work under Ashley given the scenario at Palace.

I'm not sure how'd I feel if he was appointed. Personality wise, he always seems to have some sort of chip on his shoulder. Playing wise, he'd set us up at the back but hard to know if he'd alter his hoofball tactics.

We've arguably got better players than Stoke do so you never know really.

He'd certainly keep us on an even keel as per Ashley's want. I think he'd get fed up of Ashley very quickly though and may not be cheapest option either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Hard one to know really. I certainly don't think he'd work under Ashley given the scenario at Palace.

I'm not sure how'd I feel if he was appointed. Personality wise, he always seems to have some sort of chip on his shoulder. Playing wise, he'd set us up at the back but hard to know if he'd alter his hoofball tactics.

We've arguably got better players than Stoke do so you never know really.

He'd certainly keep us on an even keel as per Ashley's want. I think he'd get fed up of Ashley very quickly though and may not be cheapest option either.

Would an even keel and be well set up defensively be enough to keep the fans happy going into next season?

I don't see how Pulis would be accepted by Newcastle fans if Allardyce wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

monkey9 wrote: »

Pulis would probably be able to keep youse up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

monkey9 wrote: »

I think the fact that Ashley took over just after Allardyce had been appointed didn't help Big Sam's cause — Ashley wanted his own man in charge.
    Saying that, the football was pretty awful to watch and results weren't too luxurious either.

He'd probably have been given more time if the man who appointed him stayed on, but Ashley did want him from the off.

I don't think Pulis would work under MA to be honest - clash of personalities, the new manager will either be a promotion from within (Carver/Beardsley) or someone like Sherwood/Bruce.

I'd love if we went for someone like Eddie Howe or a foreign boss, but ultimately, Ashley will appoint the safest option and someone he can trust.

What kind of football does Beardsley employ? I reckon that wouldn't be the worst choice. He would work under ashleys system, has plenty of coaching experience (although not top level), and the growing contingent of youngsters have all worked under him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement