Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    Talk of Gestede to West Brom for 7 million.
    Good luck with that lads.
    He'd do well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone on our Radar ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gestede is the type of player that you need to play a certain way to get the best out of him, ironically I think West Brom have had a slight move away from a way that might of, but would still be a very Pulis signing. There's too many strikers there already so getting decent money would be a good move imo. Some talk of Middlesbrough interested as well, and a Rhodes swap mooted.

Further talk of Gollini on his way as well, Inter supposedly want him. Scott Hogan of Brentford rumoured if Gestede leaves.

Hepburn Murphy offered a new contract as well, all signs are pointing to him signing it. Apparently that's why he hasn't been involved and as soon as he does, he'll be in first team contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Inter are interested in Gollini and West Brom in Gestede?

Send the money are ill deliver both of them.

LeBash wrote: »

il pay for petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I'd Rather have Gestede than McCormack at least he's scored some goals what's Mccormack done since he got here?

I'd Rather have Gestede than McCormack at least he's scored some goals what's Mccormack done since he got here?

Gestede has played in his preferred position every time he's played and been really poor most of the time play for him, not to mention altering tactics to suit him. McCormack has hardly played up front and links play together infinitely better. None have been great of course, but I'll be glad if I don't have to see Gestede start games again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Corholio wrote: »
    Gestede has played in his preferred position every time he's played and been really poor most of the time play for him, not to mention altering tactics to suit him. McCormack has hardly played up front and links play together infinitely better. None have been great of course, but I'll be glad if I don't have to see Gestede start games again.

Agreed Rudi has had far more time and opportunities to make an impact. I think it would be premature for McCormack to leave he's only coming back to full fitness I think he just needs a goal to get his confidence up. Anyway with the African cup coming up maybe we can't afford to lose either. Interesting that now like with Benteke we've become overly reliant on one striker Kodjia.

Unlike previous years it's good to speak of a possible GOOD record being broken soon. If Villa beat Burton on St.Stephens Day it will be the first time they have won 5 straight home games in 23 years, since Big Ron in 1993.

Unlike previous years it's good to speak of a possible GOOD record being broken soon. If Villa beat Burton on St.Stephens Day it will be the first time they have won 5 straight home games in 23 years, since Big Ron in 1993.

• Advertisement

Burton match nearly sold out by all accounts and Upper Trinity will be open for both Burton and Leeds.

I think we need to alter tactics to suit either of them but Gestede has so little mobility plus he's pretty poor with the ball at feet. Still think McCormack offers more than Gestede.

Think is both of them scored a lot of goals as a 2 high up. Maybe it works with them both up there but the midfield sucks when we try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Patser

Bunn Hutton Chester Baker Amavi Jedinak Bacuna Gardner McCormack Adomoh Kodjia

Solid midfield if lacking flair, same up front. Ayew and Grealish both on bench but have become such luxury players IMO.

Gollini also still benched, wonder if there's truth to the rumour he's wanted elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is the match on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

matrim wrote: »
    Is the match on TV?
    Can't find it anywhere!

Following through VT

Bacuna missed a sitter and then....

Scored!!! 1-0

Goal: [url] http://sendvid.com/1w9xbtv6[/url]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villa are winning tho which is nice.... Bacuna Matata

1-1 spectacular as an equaliser

Another dismal display by all accounts.

McCormack 2-1

• Advertisement

Never mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Didn't sound like we deserved 3 points on balance but we'll take it.
    Beat Leeds and we're back in playoff contention.
    Sounds like Bunn pulled off a great save at the end. Also sounded like Bacuna had a good game too and Grealish caused them problems when he replaced Gardner

5 home wins in a row.

Panrich wrote: »
    sounded like Bacuna had a good game
    Happy for him he's had a lot of stick especially last season

Yes Bacuna had an excellent first half made some crucial tackles as well, he is one of the fittest players on the pitch. Bunn also had a good game.

We rode our luck and allowed Burton to play far too much in our half second half they deserved a draw at least.

Maybe 3rd time will be lucky, but next match will be the 3rd time in last month we've got to be 3 points off play off places and playing a team currently in those places.

Patser wrote: »
    Maybe 3rd time will be lucky, but next match will be the 3rd time in last month we've got to be 3 points off play off places and playing a team currently in those places.
    And this time it's at home so no excuses to not finally win one of these.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Good result. Imagine having to tell your family at Christmas you've drawn against Burton Albion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Sono

Not a great performance but we will take it, 3 points towards the playoffs, we march on!

Xia has said that the club rejected a £25m offer from a club for Amavi.

Great to hear if true, he's really improving all the time now and left backs are very hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xia has said that the club rejected a £25m offer from a club for Amavi.

Great to hear if true, he's really improving all the time now and left backs are very hard to come by.

Hard to believe. Surely turning that down wouldn't even make sense.

JPA wrote: »
    Hard to believe. Surely turning that down wouldn't even make sense.

I wouldn't sell him for £25m. It's not that huge in the current market. He's worth more as a current improving player and the bother of finding a decent replacement imo. It's also probably a case of some of it up front with the rest in periodical payments which is worth even less.

If Bruce doesn't add 3/4 players in January we can forget about the playoffs imo.

We haven't played good football since maybe Brighton second half yet we have been grinding out results, while it's great to be winning without playing well we can't get away with that every week.

Leeds game is crucial that we get the win is it not? could decide our fate for the rest of the season

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    If Bruce doesn't add 3/4 players in January we can forget about the playoffs imo.

We haven't played good football since maybe Brighton second half yet we have been grinding out results, while it's great to be winning without playing well we can't get away with that every week.

Ya I'd agree, especially in midfield. To be fair to Bruce he's been very honest about that as well, he's been honest about performances in matches even when winning. Considering the sort of results and performances that came before with an imbalanced squad, winning 5 home games in a row is a minor miracle.

Good news is that Adomah wasn't called up to Ghanaian squad for the African Nations.

I think Bruce's strengths lie in both his game and squad management I'm sure he would like to play Grealish and Ayew from the off but with so many games in a short space of time he's keeping them fresh by limiting their game time and still getting results though the converse is that he plays Gabby who for me is a lost cause.

That is great news re Adomah.

Tricky one for Bruce with the GK, does he go all out for a new number one or take a punt on Bunn and Gollini being good enough for the remainder of the season, personally I would rather a better keeper in there for now.

New right back has to be high on his list and hopefully Jenkinson is coming in.

Centre mid I see Huddlestone getting linked, would be a good player to have in there and worked with Bruce before.

Would personally like 2 centre mids signed in January but can't see it happening.

Leeds game is crucial that we get the win is it not? could decide our fate for the rest of the season

In form team right now. Will be a massive mountain

• Advertisement

25m bid turned down for Amavi was from Chinese club. Ayew rumoured to be wanted by clubs there.

Gestede to Boro for 6.5m. Rhodes rumoured to be coming the other way. Has to be seen as good business personnel wise right?

25m bid turned down for Amavi was from Chinese club. Ayew rumoured to be wanted by clubs there.

Gestede to Boro for 6.5m. Rhodes rumoured to be coming the other way. Has to be seen as good business personnel wise right?

Hardly 6.5 and Rhodes?

I think we just need is a midfielder and winger. Maybe a keeper. Right back is a waste of time. Who do we get to drop to the championship? Plus if we do get someone we probably need to replace them if we go up. Hutton and Bacuna will do and Hutton hasn't looked that bad since Bruce came in. And I know, we all want a 25 year old Cafu to be signed but be realistic or you'll be disappointed.

Is the Brady link still going around.

Anyone know how Toner is getting on? I know time is 20-20 or whatever the saying is but he would be a better option than Elphick as a back up, Clark leaving really hit us, he's doing really well for Newcastle and he's a banker to be back in the Premiership next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hardly 6.5 and Rhodes?

I think we just need is a midfielder and winger. Maybe a keeper. Right back is a waste of time. Who do we get to drop to the championship? Plus if we do get someone we probably need to replace them if we go up. Hutton and Bacuna will do and Hutton hasn't looked that bad since Bruce came in. And I know, we all want a 25 year old Cafu to be signed but be realistic or you'll be disappointed.

Anyone know how Toner is getting on? I know time is 20-20 or whatever the saying is but he would be a better option than Elphick as a back up, Clark leaving really hit us, he's doing really well for Newcastle and he's a banker to be back in the Premiership next season.

We were linked with a RB on loan (Jenkinson?), which might work out with DeLatt coming back next year.

It was time for Clark to go. He might have done fine here this year but with his history the fans would have been on his back at even a hint of a mistake. Especially at the start of the season under Di Matteo.

Hardly 6.5 and Rhodes?

No the Gestede and Rhodes deals seem to be separate, the Gestede seems to be further along though. Boro fans don't seem too happy about the signing anyway. Hopefully the team has learned the lessons of buying players and only then deciding how to fit them in i.e. McCormack. Matty James of Leicester is another link, centre midfielder who was great during Leicester's promotion, picked up bad injury last year which kept him out of most of last last season.

listermint wrote: »
    In form team right now. Will be a massive mountain

You'd hope though that any team with serious ambitions to get promoted to the premier league would grasp the opportunity to take three points from a rival at home.

We'll definitely know more about our prospects after tonight.

Johnstone from United still on ? was talk earlier in December about him.

listermint wrote: »
    Johnstone from United still on ? was talk earlier in December about him.

Reports that Stoke also want him and he would prefer the chance to play in the premier league.

Panrich wrote: »
    Reports that Stoke also want him and he would prefer the chance to play in the premier league.

Id prefer Game Time if i was him. Our back line is reasonably tight now he should be reveling the opportunity, Stoke are conceding more goals that us and are not as tight defensively.

Pickford out injured for Sunderland and now they are reportedly interested in Johnson.

May lose out on Jenkinson as well, West Ham apparently want him and Arsenal may even want to sell permanently.

I think our chances of second are probably gone but we need to get into that top six and stay there comfortably for the rest of the season. A win tonight and against Cardiff would certainly put a stamp on our credentials for a play off place.

Bunn has looked OK as a goalkeeper I don't think Bruce will bring too many in midfield is the problem area and really our strikers other than Kodjia need to start scoring goals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement