Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating windows

Options
  • 12-08-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Purchased a house last year and we are looking at updating the quote old double glazing. But unfortunatly I know next to nothing about windows, or what I should be looking for or what a good price is. We would have 3 Bay windows, 8 regular windows and we have 2 French doors that we would like to change to slider or more up to date door. I know it's very hard for someone to give me a figure, but as a ball park what would you expect? Having good insulation as well as looking well are important to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't offer you an answer as I am on the same hunt. However I am proposing to take photographs and measurements and go round a number of suppliers and see what they can offer. I have to also research firms that have a good rep, or rather, firms that don't have a bad rep.

Have you considered the business of the sliding doors? Generally putting them in place of french doors is going to mean you have a narrow access - a sliding door needs double the width of a regular door; if there are side glazing panels you could do it with two sliding doors, or one off-centre.

An issue I have here is one I have come across before - the cross-bar in the glazing is situated exactly so that as I sit beside the window the best bit of the view (which is amazing) is completely blocked by the cross-bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Matlock637

Purchased a house last year and we are looking at updating the quote old double glazing. But unfortunatly I know next to nothing about windows, or what I should be looking for or what a good price is. We would have 3 Bay windows, 8 regular windows and we have 2 French doors that we would like to change to slider or more up to date door. I know it's very hard for someone to give me a figure, but as a ball park what would you expect? Having good insulation as well as looking well are important to us.

It can be a headache getting prices ,there can be wildly different prices that will throw you off .recommendations and research the companies you hire for quotes is all there really is.
    companies are much more conscientious these days because of social media,nothing but the best standard is bad for business.
    If you see work being done in your area ,give the house a knock and ask the home owner there experience and how happy they there are .when the fitters are long gone of course .
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I changed some last year. Approx 800 euro per window supplied and fitted. About 180*120

That’s for a low u value Double Glazing. I’d no need to go triple glazed. The extra cost for a marginal rating wasn’t worth it.

Advertisement