Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding dancers

Options
  • 15-01-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi there. i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sean nos group that i could hire to dance at my wedding in march in the sligo, leitrim, roscommon area for a weddin in carrick on shannon. any help be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

Celtic rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Seriously, don't waste your money.

Any time I've seen Irish dancers at a wedding, it leads to an exodus to any bar/smoking section outside of the function room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't know any in that area, but I saw a group at a wedding in Cork a few years ago. It was a mixed culture wedding, and the non-irish half of the crowd really loved it. The irish crowd did as Sleepy said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

.james1984 wrote: »
    hi there. i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sean nos group that i could hire to dance at my wedding in march in the sligo, leitrim, roscommon area for a weddin in carrick on shannon. any help be great.

Theres 2-3 big groups going round like celtic rhythm. They do what they do quite well. But these arent sean nós, they're the riverdance act that people get some entertainment out of. But whatever about those pro troupes holding attention, any time Ive seen sean nos dancers theyve died a death as an entertainment spectacle doing a 25 minute slot. If an uncle joe has a party piece it can be a bit of fun, but other than that, it doesn't add to an evening.

That said, if youre determined to go ahead with it (its your wedding, have them if you want), contact the local irish dancing school. Theyll put on a show for you or know who will and you wont have to pay extra for travel for a pro troupe to come down from dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.james1984

ymurtagh wrote: »
    Celtic rhythm

do you know how much they charge

• Advertisement

thanks for the replys, we come from traditional familys so the dancers will have the attention off most of the guests. my cousins are all irish dancers and will be dancing but none of them are sean nos dancers and the two we had lined up cannot make it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I could take a guess at how much they charge but suggest contacting them directly as therell be travel involved for a driver and 5 dancers for their show, you can get them here
    http://www.celticrhythmdancers.com/

the other big troupe is celtic fusion, he's very good, same as above, 5 dancers I think in his show.
    http://www.celticdancefusion.com/

discuss with both of them if they can add an element of sean nós to it as their shows are based around a 30 minute planned river dance type thing.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mumto2

https://www.facebook.com/seannosarantsionann

Edwina Guckian is the one to contact here, HTH!

Advertisement