Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sd card fail in switch

Options
  • 14-09-2019 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone ever had a sd card fail in there switch?.

My own failed after I think 18 months?. It was a 200gb san disk that the girlfirend got from amazon (direct) and was not a dogey one as it did read at about 192gb.

Out of the blue the other day it just failed for some reason and said no sd card in switch and so on.

Was quite lucky with my saved games as they where backed up to the cloud. Well only pokemon is gone bit be grand and could be worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Hi all

Just wondering has anyone ever had a sd card fail in there switch?.

My own failed after I think 18 months?. It was a 200gb san disk that the girlfirend got from amazon (direct) and was not a dogey one as it did read at about 192gb.

Out of the blue the other day it just failed for some reason and said no sd card in switch and so on.

Was quite lucky with my saved games as they where backed up to the cloud. Well only pokemon is gone bit be grand and could be worse.

Im not 100% sure on the saves but I think they are all on the switch internal drive anyway. I'm pretty sure but not near my own to check but someone else will advise I'm sure

SD cards do fail occasionally. I've had an extreme pro fail in my phone this week but I got it sorted by running check disk in Windows.

If you don't mind formatting it on a computer and losing stuff, you probably have nothing to lose anyway as it's saying it's corrupted/failed, etc.

Power it off completely with the power button, take it out, put it back in and try format it in the switch just as a last chance.

If that fails, put it into a pc, see if it recognises it, if it does, it's not the card at least. Then use check disk to repair any errors on the card and format it.

You might still have a warranty with amazon so contact customer care as they are usually great to honor warranty stuff.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Hope you don't lose your stuff so try just to removing it before formatting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

I've no experience of an SD card failing in a Switch, but I did have a usb key from Amazon that I was using as additional storage in an Nvidia Shield box. It stopped working after about 18 months and Amazon replaced it for me with no issues. So as noted in the reply above it's definitely worth contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

The saves are all OK. Had them all backed up with Nintendo cloud or what ever they call it. Only lost my pokemon save. I also had to redownload all switch game updates it was a pain but could be worse.

Yah I have tryed removing it and putting back in and so on.

The switch keeps saying some kind of no memory card error. It won't even let me format it on the switch to make it worse.

I am on hoildays at the moment so won't get to try it in a pc on to i am back and see if its the switch that's the issue or the card.

I have emailed amazon about it and they refunded me allready for it and don't have to send back. 80 pounds I think the girlfirend paid for it nearly 2 years ago. Bought a new one as well different brand this time and a 256gb for 30 pounds I think so fingers crossed its only a sd card fail and not a switch fail.

Also they are the sd cards are piss cheap now. Remanber paying I think paying 50 euros for a USB stick 9 years ago that was only 32gb ha ha. The thing is so slow now I think I put it in the bin as was not even worth keeping compare to a usb 3.1 I have now.

This is the 1st time I had a sd card fail on me. Had a harddrive and a USB stick before fail also had a hard drive fail in the Xbox 360 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My SD is acting up too. I have a 256gb from Amazon. This morning I went to play Blasphemous and I was told that the game wasn't downloaded (it was). Checked settings screen and it said I had no SD inserted.

Unseated it, reseated it and rebooted. Back to normal now. Hopefully it isn't a sign that it's on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Mr E wrote: »
    My SD is acting up too. I have a 256gb from Amazon. This morning I went to play Blasphemous and I was told that the game wasn't downloaded (it was). Checked settings screen and it said I had no SD inserted.

Unseated it, reseated it and rebooted. Back to normal now. Hopefully it isn't a sign that it's on the way out.

That's kind of like happened mine. Done everything like yourself and no life from it.

Fingers crossed yours will be OK and it's just from the switch móvring or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement