Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Texting the Wrong Person

• 29-05-2017 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

So, I was at a free bar with work on Friday night and awoke on Saturday morning with a sore head but a clear conscience. I'm single and work with a lot of married men who don't tend to get out that often so nights can get very messy, very quickly, especially with a free bar thrown into the mix.

As Saturday rolled on, I started to get flashbacks of the night before but still all good. The only thing I was guilty of is having a good time. Something was niggling at me though and I looked at my whatsapp messages. I saw that I had been messaging a guy from work who I usually wouldn't message. Intrigued, I scrolled through the conversation. Oh. Dear. Jesus.

I have a friend with the same name as this guy and in my drunken haze, I think I thought I was messaging him. The content was so blunt and explicit and inappropriate. I'd never speak to my work colleagues the way I'd speak with my friends. With friends you can be more vulgar for comic effect and just say it like it is and that's exactly what I did.

I told him I wanted to f*ck one of our other colleagues, asked him if he thinks I'm hot and basically made an ass clown of myself. Coming in today was tough! I messaged him yesterday evening to apologise for what I'd said and he was lovely about it but ggaahhhhhh

So, have you guys any stories of texting the wrong person to make me feel better about myself?! In my defence, he had texted me first saying great night. That's no real defence actually... my response should have been yes it was, not I wanna bone Dave from accounts :p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ah you didn't go for the awful, yet classic, 'it was my friends messing with my phone' excuse?

In the old days of phones I sent messages about people, to them instead by accident, one was innocent but the other I had to pretend I was joking about and did it on purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dead Tribute Banned

Think everyone in the office has the fear today Bizarrely, the guy I was saying I wanted to f*ck (CRINGE just writing that), came over to me and apologised for being so messy and 'all over me'. Reality is, he wasn't at all. In my head I was thinking.. whoa, if you know what I'd said about you, I think you'd be retracting that apology!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ah. The oul unsuspecting wing man© from the "Play" book.

You tell unsuspecting wing man you want to be boned by Dave from accounts​. Unsuspecting wing tells Dave from accounts​ of your wish to be boned by Dave from accounts​.
    Dave from accounts​ then starts giving you glad eye. The next staff night out, Dave from accounts​ has enough Dutch courage to approach you with ideas of boning you. Dave from accounts​ looks to be the instigator of said boning ensuring your good name is upheld.
    That same night, Dave from accounts​ shows you why he's called the "Master of digits"

You get the bone, hes played your Game.
    And he's didn't even realize he was playing.

I doff my hat to you fair voyager
    Well played.... well played...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Panthro wrote: »

You tell unsuspecting wing man you want to be boned by Dave from accounts​. Unsuspecting wing tells Dave from accounts​ of your wish to be boned by Dave from accounts​.
    Dave from accounts​ then starts giving you glad eye. The next staff night out, Dave from accounts​ has enough Dutch courage to approach you with ideas of boning you. Dave from accounts​ looks to be the instigator of said boning ensuring your good name is upheld.
    That same night, Dave from accounts​ shows you why he's called the "Master of digits"

You my friend are the master...I doft my hat to you sir!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've never done it but I've had a few "naughty" texts sent to me "by mistake" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Chloedancer

My brother used to go out with a girl that had the same first name as me. I found out a lot more than I needed to know. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I haven't sent any that I can remember but I once turned down a position in information security for a big Irish company. After the phone call the head of the department messaged me instead of a HR person a super snotty message about me! I took great pleasure replying to it. I'd say he was mortified :-)

About 10 years ago, partied a bit too hard. Couldn't face work the following day, had an appointment first thing with an eejit. Wanted to text my partner and tell her to take my first appointment, so typed out "I just can't face that arsehole, will you ever see him and listen to his nonsense". Texted client instead of partner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

About 10 years ago, partied a bit too hard. Couldn't face work the following day, had an appointment first thing with an eejit. Wanted to text my partner and tell her to take my first appointment, so typed out "I just can't face that arsehole, will you ever see him and listen to his nonsense". Texted client instead of partner...

How did that play out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I text my work colleague a few years ago who had just gone to the shops asking her to get some cakes.

Got a text back in Polish which I thought was strange thinking I messed up my settings so I translated it and it said iirc " go to autosuper not cake wrong world contact hello you cake"

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    How did that play out?

The eejit was such an eejit he never joined the dots and figured out it was about him. He asked my partner what did it mean, she got it straight away but managed to hold back the laughter and made some excuse about me raving about some other client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I was organising my friends hens and people were pulling out left right and centre... I text my sister to tell her I'd a pain in my hole with this hens... but text my friend instead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I text a friend to see see if he was going to his own surprise birthday party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

A colleague left recently and might have been a bit too cutting handing in her notice as her manager allegedly gave her an answer that perhaps (and probably not wrongly) cut too close to the bone.

Colleague proceeds to type on our messenger tool a tirade directed to her boss to her mates.....only I'm sure you can guess where it actually ended up. That was an awkward 6 week notice period.

Look I've done it myself, sometimes I've waffled my way out of it, others I've had to hold my hands up to it....but I won't let it happen in work. While I get on well with most people in my job, I actually have very few numbers on my phone. I don't need to build that type of relationship to make a working relationship. I don't add work on Facebook. I don't use snap chat. The only thing I use our messenger tool for is work and to waffle about trivial sh1t like horse racing.

What you did was innocent OP, but I can't abide the fcukwittery of bitching about colleagues on any kind of medium. Stuff like WhatsApp outside of work isn't safe either as I've seen people send screenshots of someone's rant or embarrassing utterance to each other.

It's just not worth the bother at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Had a friend send me a video of herself playing. This is back when photo and video messaging were quite new so first I knew of it was her texting saying it was meant for her husband who was working nights. I assured her it hadn't come through (which it hadn't by then) but it did arrive about 24 hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I was once having two voice note WhatsApp chats with my best pal and a lovely girl I'd met the previous weekend... two separate chats - ie, me and my mate generally talking absolute malojan, and me and lovely girl having general getting-to-know-you-I-hope-this-sounds-smooth banter...

Anyway, long story short, I got mixed up... and ended up sending the girl a voice note of me... doing an impression of Steve Staunton...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Was coming home from cork one evening on the bus, drunk. Sent the sister a colourful txt to collect me and bring food.
    That night, a woman who I had an iffy friendship with sent me a txt out of the blue. I wasn't sober after my day of boozing and gave a short reply.
    A few days later I noticed that I had sent her the message 28 times. Whatever way I slept on the bus, the old nokia kept sending her the txt since she was the first contact on the phone.
    Never heard from her again but was more annoyed about the wasted credit than inconveniencing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I once text "hi, how are you? xx" to what i thought was my girlfriend, sent it to a man i was selling a car to instead, he replied "im ok"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I once text "hi, how are you? xx" to what i thought was my girlfriend, sent it to a man i was selling a car to instead, he replied "im ok"

I laughed out loud at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Actual lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Haahaa!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Brilliant, thanks for the giggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I was once having two voice note WhatsApp chats with my best pal and a lovely girl I'd met the previous weekend... two separate chats - ie, me and my mate generally talking absolute malojan, and me and lovely girl having general getting-to-know-you-I-hope-this-sounds-smooth banter...

Anyway, long story short, I got mixed up... and ended up sending the girl a voice note of me... doing an impression of Steve Staunton...

If that didn't win her over, she wasn't the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A decade or more ago I had a habit of sending text messages to my mother when they were meant for my friends or even lovers. I know I did it a few times which is quite embarrassing but I never found out which one's were sent to her, and I don't want to know. She did let me know through a not so subtle hint. Thankfully I only did this when using old mobiles, not smartphones, so I don't think I've ever done it since using a smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

My name was invariably the first name on people's (people that had my number) Nokias and other dumb phones. I used to get an awful lot of messages in error.

Worked with one lad who had a very firey relationship with his wife. If he wasn't f'ing her out of it, he was talking about...... Had to call him aside one day and ask him to put a dummy number as the first one on his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Panthro wrote: »

This man is a genius... poor ol' Dave never even saw it coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

When I was about 14 I set two of my friends up and they dated for about a month. I think that's a medium term relationship at that age. Anyway, he wasn't really into her and told me he was going to dump her and I was dreading the messages I was going to get from her. I texted him that evening after speaking to him and said "did you dump her yet?". Obviously I sent it to her by mistake. So he didn't need to break up with her in the end, he was dumped instead!

I actually had one over the phone too - my sister was in my granny's house and I had to phone her to tell her to come home for dinner. My granny's phone number was 1 digit different from my friend's number, who had a sister with the same name as me. So I rang my friend's number by mistake and his sister answered by coincidence. I said "Hi Siobhan, dinner's ready." She was caught off guard a bit and just said "what?" So I said dinner's ready, it's nearly on the table." And she said "what?" It took me longer to work out what had happened than it should have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not a text and i've posted this before but the worst thing i have done on my phone was accidentally send 100+ friend requests on the Facebook app in one button press to all my phone contacts

A couple of years ago there was a feature on the iPhone app where you can sync your phone contacts and it matches phone numbers in you contacts to FB profiles...but there was an "Add All" button (button has been removed in the app now) which when showing my buddies i hit by accident....sending facebook requests to people at work, ex's, girls i met at a bar whos number i got but never called, my plumber, my hairdresser, neighbors, etc....SOCIAL MEDIA SUICIDE!!!

The amount of awkward PMs i got was insane.

Randomers from the bar "Who are you? How do i know you?". Lots added me and removed me once they had no clue who i was.

Ex's who accepted, were either like "Oh hi, surprised you contacted me, how are you?" or decline the request, making me look like i wanted to get back in contact and turning me down then, awkward either way.

I'm now friends with a lot of people from work and neighbours who i never ever wanted to add.

My plumber rejected it...making it too awkward for me to call him up for some work, so i had to find a new plumber lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Hazys wrote: »
    Not a text and i've posted this before but the worst thing i have done on my phone was accidentally send 100+ friend requests on the Facebook app in one button press to all my phone contacts

A couple of years ago there was a feature on the iPhone app where you can sync your phone contacts and it matches phone numbers in you contacts to FB profiles...but there was an "Add All" button (button has been removed in the app now) which when showing my buddies i hit by accident....sending facebook requests to people at work, ex's, girls i met at a bar whos number i got but never called, my plumber, my hairdresser, neighbors, etc....SOCIAL MEDIA SUICIDE!!!

The amount of awkward PMs i got was insane.

Randomers from the bar "Who are you? How do i know you?". Lots added me and removed me once they had no clue who i was.

Ex's who accepted, were either like "Oh hi, surprised you contacted me, how are you?" or decline the request, making me look like i wanted to get back in contact and turning me down then, awkward either way.

I'm now friends with a lot of people from work and neighbours who i never ever wanted to add.

My plumber rejected it...making it too awkward for me to call him up for some work, so i had to find a new plumber lol.

That gave me quite a chuckle! I'd say it was cringeworthy, I can only imagine.

The closest I got to that in terms of 'social media cringe' was a few months ago liking a Facebook friend's (who I don't know well) photo they were tagged in from 7 years ago. Felt like the ultimate stalker having trawled through years of her tagged photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

In college I somehow managed to give someone my mother's no instead of mine. It was great fun getting texts from him via mammy.

Advertisement