Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People promoted beyond their ability

• 25-05-2017 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Someone in here has been promoted beyond their ability. They spend their time trying to foist work on to others, insisting they're too busy to do half the stuff they should be doing, while walking around with a haughty, important air.

They're not fooling anyone, but it's very annoying. Just wondering if any of you have had to work with people who've had a promotion and prove to be completely inadequate to the job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Someone in here has been promoted beyond their ability. They spend their time trying to foist work on to others, insisting they're too busy to do half the stuff they should be doing, while walking around with a haughty, important air.

They're not fooling anyone, but it's very annoying. Just wondering if any of you have had to work with people who've had a promotion and prove to be completely inadequate to the job?

Someone in where ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

It happens in lots of companies, perception is more important than ability a lot of the time. I had a very senior manager tell me the more senior you go in a job the more it's about what people think of you and not what you do. I've found it spot on to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Someone in where ?

In the internet, silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Someone in where ?

Where I work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've worked with numerous of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

They are fooling someone. Have the same situation in my workplace - someone waffled their way into a managerial position & then within about a month was off on stress leave. Complete bullshi*ter - everyone who ever worked beside or under him knows this but somehow management fell for his spake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Theres a whole chain of command of them in my place - living in fear of being found out. If only they had the talent to match their ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

That's life.
    It's not what you can do, but what you can be seen to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's life.
    It's not what you can do, but what you can be seen to be doing.

It's not what you know, or even who you know.

It's what you know about who.

That's what gets you promoted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Delegation is a managers job.
    Managers who can't delegate some of their work down onto direct reports will never be successful.
    It's how the hyrachy of many companies works.

The manager gets more work completed than he could alone, the subordinates get to demonstrate they are capable of more than their core responsibility and so show they may be suitable for promotion, the company wins as it pushes projects forward.

If your in one of these companies there are two choices, dig in and work the system or stay on the outside and be passed by. Thinking doing your core job is enough to be recognised is not suitable for such companies. I've worked in such places, it's not for everyone and it becomes tiresome, but if job progression is what you want then it can happen quickly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We have a few of them. All the boss' kids work there, one who has no talent, creativity or understanding of hard work and was made a director of something, swans in and out as she sees fit and fobs all her work off on the peons. The other one is hugely overrated by the parents and spends his whole time messing up code without telling anyone and making off the cuff decisions that make no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

_Brian wrote: »
    Delegation is a managers job.
    Managers who can't delegate some of their work down onto direct reports will never be successful.
    It's how the hyrachy of many companies works.

The manager gets more work completed than he could alone, the subordinates get to demonstrate they are capable of more than their core responsibility and so show they may be suitable for promotion, the company wins as it pushes projects forward.

If your in one of these companies there are two choices, dig in and work the system or stay on the outside and be passed by. Thinking doing your core job is enough to be recognised is not suitable for such companies. I've worked in such places, it's not for everyone and it becomes tiresome, but if job progression is what you want then it can happen quickly.

They're not delegating to their own staff. They're insisting that various parts of their job are actually the responsibility of 'marketing', or 'finance' or whatever; or go whinging to the Manager who promoted them about being too busy and no one will help them etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Once worked for a manager who was known on the floor as "What's That" because that was the question she asked everyone when she looked at anything they were working on. She was promoted to manager because she had a claim for personal injury against the company and they offered to promote her to manager if she dropped the claim. So frustrating to have to explain every minor detail of projects to someone who was totally clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have been with my employer for 8 and a half years and in that time, I have had 8 different managers and I swear at most, 3 of them were competent

2 of them were so incompetent, I complained to HR about them. I think the woman in HR thought I was a moaner although she didn't say it, but both of them have been let go since.

This company is absolutely crawling with wafflers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Someone in where ?

Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Here
    Ah here

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

<<
    This guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Hell yes. It seems the ability to talk the talk at an interview gets you places, not the work ethic or your productivity or loyalty to the employer over the past 8 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

nelly17 wrote: »
    Theres a whole chain of command of them in my place - living in fear of being found out. If only they had the talent to match their ambition.

What do they do all day?

Can you explain this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

I have been lucky to work with some really amazing supportive people. I have been lucky I guess and respected them all.

I know that is not the same though in all businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes. In fact I'd say I've only ever had one good manager in my career to date and the last one in particular was very poor. An awkward introverted fella, none of us could understand how he got promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I agree, building relationships with the right people is more important than ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Delegation is an important part of a manager's job but you can't just keep delegating particularly if your team is busy already. You have to "do" some of the time and, if nothing else, it gives you a great understanding of what your people have to do.

I find people go one of two ways in management. They either think "Now I'm the boss, people have to do what I say." Or they think "Now I'm the boss, I need to work harder and set the example." Too many people do the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Read Pages 334 to 339. The Canvas Strategy. In Tim Ferriss book Tools of Titans.
    Then learn the technique of" crucial conversations" in the book of the same name.
    You can only push what is in your wheelbarrow, this issue is not, it's in your head.
    Turn up, do the work, go home.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Delegation is an important part of a manager's job but you can't just keep delegating particularly if your team is busy already. You have to "do" some of the time and, if nothing else, it gives you a great understanding of what your people have to do.

I find people go one of two ways in management. They either think "Now I'm the boss, people have to do what I say." Or they think "Now I'm the boss, I need to work harder and set the example." Too many people do the former.

Spot on!

Ive worked with a small number of managers who were hopeleasly out of their depth, including a few who only survived by flogging the life out of great people they had working for them

As or more common though is the phenomena of people bitching about management, telling everyone how they could do better while generally understanding or caring about very little outside their own role. Often these are the first to whinge to their manager about how they deserve a promotion or a great appraisal. All the while being oblivious to how spectacularly **** and/or unreliable they actually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DeanAustin wrote: »

As an aside, being boss doesn't necessarily mean having to work harder to set an example. Being an effective boss isn't always about working harder. The role changes the higher up you go.

If a manager passes work off to others because his/her new role involves other work meaning they have to delegate work, that's one thing.

Of course there are plenty of people who pass off work because they think they're above it, they don't need to, etc. They're called w@nkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I have also found that people promoted to a position they cant do competently will actively create random unnecessary projects (for other people to work on) out of insecurity, to justify their position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

As an aside, being boss doesn't necessarily mean having to work harder to set an example. Being an effective boss isn't always about working harder. The role changes the higher up you go.

If a manager passes work off to others because his/her new role involves other work meaning they have to delegate work, that's one thing.

Of course there are plenty of people who pass off work because they think they're above it, they don't need to, etc. They're called w@nkers.

I'd disagree on the working harder bit although I know lots of people would hold the same view as you. By the way, by working harder, I don't mean that you just do more of what you were doing when you weren't a manager. If that's all you do, you're not managing.

But in my view, you need to be committed as a manager. You need to think more about work then you did before, you need to think/worry about the people you're managing and you need to always demand more of yourself than you do of your team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Eh, that'd be Trump.

Advertisement