Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

dee75 wrote: »
    Anyone done Portumna Parkrun? I'd love to hear what it's like.

Over for a hen weekend next week and hoping to drag a few along for a bit of parkrun tourism!

It's a lovely course, two laps running through a wooded area. There are no great views or anything on the course, but it's nice to be running in the middle of the woods. The path is fairly wide and it's relatively flat bar one small climb.

Fairly small numbers in general (30 to 40ish) so no mad rush for parking spaces, of which there are plently.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

dee75 wrote: »
    Anyone done Portumna Parkrun? I'd love to hear what it's like.

Over for a hen weekend next week and hoping to drag a few along for a bit of parkrun tourism!

I haven’t run Portumna before but just wanted to let you know the Shorelines Arts festival is taking place in Portumna over the weekend. Not sure if that will affect the parkrun or parking etc but maybe check the Portumna parkrun Facebook page for any updates. https://www.shorelinesartsfestival.com/
    Have a great weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

the only people who can afford the yoga, the tai-chi, to do the parkruns are people with a level of affluence that most of my patients don't have...

He was talking about how they no longer prescribe exercise therapy for pain management in a piece on the overprescription of opioid painkillers.

I can understand the yoga and tai-chi - classes have a per session cost associated with them, but parkrun? All you need is a pair of trainers, and I'm damn well sure people on low incomes in Tyneside still manage to find a pair of trainers whether or not they're wearing them for a free parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

robinph wrote: »
    That is all part of the act, but totally see where their style would grate for some people.

There is an equal number of people who find the FWT grating for being too far the opposite way with Vassos' knowledge and commitment to turning up to parkrun. I like both podcasts though because they cover both ends of the parkrun fanatic spectrum.

Despite being heavily involved with parkrun, there's only room in my life for one podcast on it & has to be WMN. Used to listen to both but decided one had to be culled.

Think it's mainly because it was the original parkrun show podcast that led me to parkrun in the first place and a visit to Marlay back in '14. Where did that time go :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, of the various podcasts I listen to on my runs that is the one that tends to get bumped up the playing order whenever it is released. I'm a few weeks behind on my Marathon Talks and FWT's, but WMN gets listened to as soon as I have a long enough run.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Ah balls, forgot about it.

May go onto the abomination that is the RTE Player.

I thought this was an exaggeration, until I went on to the abomination that is RTE Player. How f..king hard can it be to have a site where you type in the name of the programme and that programme comes up? :confused:

Could anyone stick up a direct link to the programme?

Good jib! wrote: »
    I thought this was an exaggeration, until I went on to the abomination that is RTE Player. How f..king hard can it be to have a site where you type in the name of the programme and that programme comes up? :confused:

Could anyone stick up a direct link to the programme?
    https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-geansa%C3%AD/SI0000001754?epguid=IH000380043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good jib! wrote: »
    Cheers, you beaut!

Spent ages looking for that.

If you type ‘parkrun’ it comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mojonta

BeardySi wrote: »
    All you need is a pair of trainers, and I'm damn well sure people on low incomes in Tyneside still manage to find a pair of trainers whether or not they're wearing them for a free parkrun.

Mightn't even need them. I've seen a few recently on my local parkrun going barefoot around the course. Not sure how they manage it though, it's a bit stony in places.

I typed in "The Geansai" at home last night and nothing came up.

Just tried there now (at work) and it came up straight away. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

It's a nice wee program and all, but it doesn't seem to mention the critical facts about parkrun; that it is volunteer-led and completely free to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

BBCNI program about parkrun is on tonight at 22.40, not sure if new or the same one they showed in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006wf4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

BBCNI program about parkrun is on tonight at 22.40, not sure if new or the same one they showed in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006wf4

It looks like the same one..with Dame Kelly Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runnomnom

Corkagh's 2nd Birthday tomorrow - there will be cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

I saw Darndale's 2nd on facebook too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And I think it's St Annes 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Anyone else skip Parkrun to watch the Rugby and is now regretting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Parkrun added over half a minute onto my time this morning. Garmin and strava are the same time but the parkrun time is out by 30 odd seconds. Is this normal? I'm fairly new to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

runnomnom wrote: »
    Corkagh's 2nd Birthday tomorrow - there will be cake!

Should have did that today. Had 2 left to complete all the Dublin parkruns.
    Picked Tymon instead, will complete the set on Saturday week. And then try complete Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Parkrun added over half a minute onto my time this morning. Garmin and strava are the same time but the parkrun time is out by 30 odd seconds. Is this normal? I'm fairly new to the whole thing.

No usually spot on. A barcode may have got mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Email them with your watch time and they might be able to sort it. Very easy for barcodes or order of finishers to get mixed up

Should have did that today. Had 2 left to complete all the Dublin parkruns.
    Picked Tymon instead, will complete the set on Saturday week. And then try complete Leinster.

If you complete all the London parkruns it’s called “Lon-done” What is the completion of the Dublin parkruns called?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bushy Dublin appear to have overwritten last weeks results with this weeks results, both sets of results are now identical !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

If you complete all the London parkruns it’s called “Lon-done” What is the completion of the Dublin parkruns called?

Baile All Clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have just tweeted parkrun asking them to make that a thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dudda wrote: »
    Anyone else skip Parkrun to watch the Rugby and is now regretting it?

Nope did parkrun and glad I did now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Loonie

I ran Marlay this morning for the first time in a while, and several runners in front of me signaled walkers etc with hand gestures. Given the busyness of the park even at 9.30, this seems like a great idea. They've also started monthly pacers from 20 to 30+, which went well even with the usual busy start line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Lazare wrote: »
    Baile All Clear

It's often referred to by parkrun tourists as the less elegant "DubDone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did my 100th parkrun this morning in Ballina - there was cake. It has taken me 3 and a quarter years to get there, longer than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Lazare wrote: »
    Baile All Clear

The Full Monto?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats muddypaws. That’s a great achievement no matter how long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did my 100th parkrun this morning in Ballina - there was cake. It has taken me 3 and a quarter years to get there, longer than I thought.

Super, well done. With the dog I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Visited Russborough yesterday. Really great to get down and do it. A last minute decision and a bit of a drive but well worth it. 33 there yesterday. Free parking for runners. A discount in the lovely café. A beautiful place. The run is a mix of all surfaces. Go and do it if you can. Rugby updates too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

aquinn wrote: »
    Visited Russborough yesterday. Really great to get down and do it. A last minute decision and a bit of a drive but well worth it. 33 there yesterday. Free parking for runners. A discount in the lovely cafA beautiful place. The run is a mix of all surfaces. Go and do it if you can. Rugby updates too.

Whether you wanted them or not :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Someone needs to do a study on the benefits or psychology of buggy running at parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Someone needs to do a study on the benefits or psychology of buggy running at parkrun.

For the person running with the child or the one who has a break from the child? Why not both???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

When the child asks you 'why are you running so slowly Daddy?' Psychology not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

py wrote:
    For the person running with the child or the one who has a break from the child? Why not both???

Or for the child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

aquinn wrote: »
    Super, well done. With the dog I hope?

Oh of course. 98 done with a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I ran Berlin park run as warm up before the marathon.

Nice course

..a bit busy,nearly 600!

The race director asking are there any park run visitors today?..produced an

"I'm Spartacus" moment as the whole crowds hands went up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Father Collins is celebrating their 4th birthday this Saturday and the VHI roadshow will be there along with Mick Clohisey. There will be loads of freebies and cake. All welcome except for Hurricane Lorenzo, you can feck off !!! See you all there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    When the child asks you 'why are you running so slowly Daddy?' Psychology not good

Or when you are doing regular relaxed strolling around the park/street in the buggy in every day life and your adrenaline starved 2 year old is shouting "GO FASTER DADDY!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just ordered my "100" tshirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

This Saturday, the new, complete 1 lapper parkrun course in Glengarriff begins. The regulars are looking forward to improved PBs with the huge hill now no longer part of the course.

I believe it’s going to be a huge success as it is taking in arguably the nicest part of the nature reserve itself, the Big Meadow Walk.

If anyone is nearby in the next while, make sure to pop down, you’ll be more than welcome.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just ordered my "100" tshirt!

Well done. I'm three off my 50th, 100 seems so far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Bushy Park Time Trials event No.1 took place on 2nd October 2004 at Bushy Park, London with 13 participants. It has since grown into the phenomenon that is parkrun.

Happy birthday parkrun.

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/bushy/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done. I'm three off my 50th, 100 seems so far away.
    I felt it took ages to get to my 50th. But it didn't feel as long to get to my 100. And my facebook memories reminded me that this time 2 years ago my 50 tshirt arrived. I think working towards 50 you spend a while building up the habit and routine of going to parkrun. After that the bug may have well and truly bitten and you frequent parkrun a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mojonta

Duzzie wrote: »
    Bushy Park Time Trials event No.1 took place on 2nd October 2004 at Bushy Park, London with 13 participants. It has since grown into the phenomenon that is parkrun.

Happy birthday parkrun.

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/bushy/results/weeklyresults/?runSeqNumber=1

Didn't realise my own parkrun anniversary coincided with their own one. 9 years today since my first one. Only got to 50 a few weeks ago albeit with a 7 year gap between parkruns 13 and 14.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I felt it took ages to get to my 50th. But it didn't feel as long to get to my 100. And my facebook memories reminded me that this time 2 years ago my 50 tshirt arrived. I think working towards 50 you spend a while building up the habit and routine of going to parkrun. After that the bug may have well and truly bitten and you frequent parkrun a lot more.

Cheers, to be honest I haven't missed a single parkrun since I started (I think I've about 14 volunteer rolls too)

I've loved parkrun and have had very few that I didn't enjoy, and those one's I didn't enjoy were entirely my own fault in one way or another.

I've met so many new friends through parkrun, we all regularly train together and even party together when its one of the groups birthday etc

Well done again on your 100th

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement