Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Great win from Mark English in the 800m in Birmingham..came out of nowhere !
    Well Done...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

4Ad wrote: »
    Great win from Mark English in the 800m in Birmingham..came out of nowhere !
    Well Done...

Even with 200m to go he was 2nd last. That was some last 100m, in particular the last 50m. Great time - long time since he ran 1.45

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Even with 200m to go he was 2nd last. That was some last 100m, in particular the last 50m. Great time - long time since he ran 1.45

He looked like he won fairly comfortably in the end,
    Although Kipketer looking to his right before the line looked in shock.

where & how does he go to get he world Q time now, he is going to have to be less tactical and go with the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

jamule wrote: »
    He looked like he won fairly comfortably in the end,
    Although Kipketer looking to his right before the line looked in shock.

where & how does he go to get he world Q time now, he is going to have to be less tactical and go with the pace.

He'll probably get in on the quota system.

He's running Morton on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Chivito550 wrote: »
    He'll probably get in on the quota system.

He's running Morton on Wednesday.

Not sure if he will get the pace on weds (i'll be there screaming him on ). Sounded v confident of pb'ing in santry or if he gets into paris

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    Not sure if he will get the pace on weds (i'll be there screaming him on ). Sounded v confident of pb'ing in santry or if he gets into paris

He'll be in Doha. He's 61st fastest this year and there are a 15 Kenyans, 8 Americans and 9 Brits ahead of him and they can all only send 3 each. Even if he doesn't go faster in Morton he'll be in Doha. Most important thing is to start preparing for a tilt at making the final now, rather than running around Europe trying to chase a time that he almost certainly doesn't need. Hopefully he can get into Paris though. Would be great for him before Worlds.

Delighted to see him win yesterday. Such a talented athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

was in Cork last week and English was disappointing but has an incredible run in Birmingham...last night in Santry was again disappointing I dont think he has d consistincy for Doha and wouldn't survive d first round

Last night was a truly miserable night in fairness. Everybody knew going in that there'd be no fast times or standards hit. It can be hard to get fully up for an event when you know this.

Wouldn't dwell on any of the results from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Braken wrote: »
    was in Cork last week and English was disappointing but has an incredible run in Birmingham...last night in Santry was again disappointing I dont think he has d consistincy for Doha and wouldn't survive d first round

Hard to compare the conditions in Cork and Santry to Birmingham, or especially Doha. English has proven himself again and again to be a big time performer and a smart racer through the rounds, don't write him off based on two runs in terrible Irish conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

I reckon English looked at the weather and knew he wasn't going to get QT, so just coasted through the race, the same with Mageean although her time was a lot more respectable.

• Advertisement

I reckon English looked at the weather and knew he wasn't going to get QT, so just coasted through the race, the same with Mageean although her time was a lot more respectable.

I take your point ..a tactical win would have been a good confidence booster though..Isaiah Harris is a quality runner semi finalist in d 800 2017 WC, 2018 NCAA indoor /outdoor champ
    and 4th this year at the US trials...shaping up to these guys is what you need...
    Mageen was impressive as the 1500 is her preferred distance and is trying hear up her speed..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just in case some people don't know, there's already a thread for the Diamond Leagues. Come join us tonight after tonight's final!

great meet last night in Zurich
    Donovan Frazier won d 800 in 1.42.8 just outside
    Johnny Gray American record which is over 30 years old...the winners of d diamond get automatic entry into worlds in doing so he created a space for Issah Harris winner of d 800 in cork /Dublin who was 4th in us trials

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Great North Run is on BBC1 at the moment, Brigid Kosgei has just ran a worlds best time by quite a few seconds, absolutely blitzed the field...Just wondering, what is the reason that this course doesnt quality for official records...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

...Great North Run is on BBC1 at the moment, Brigid Kosgei has just ran a worlds best time by quite a few seconds, absolutely blitzed the field...Just wondering, what is the reason that this course doesnt quality for official records...

I think Steve Cram was saying because it is a point to point course. Also slightly downhill overall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I think Steve Cram was saying because it is a point to point course. Also slightly downhill overall too.

...Yeah he mentioned point to point, I just didnt understand it...In my simplistic mind, surely every race is from point A to point B?... Maybe it is downhill overall...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

...Yeah he mentioned point to point, I just didnt understand it...In my simplistic mind, surely every race is from point A to point B?... Maybe it is downhill overall...
    Point to point can be wind assisted too, as has happened on occasion with Boston marathon. Also net downhill. If you end very close to where you started you will have avoid both those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Didn t see the race, is low 59 a record Half time for Mo? Was there a bit of a tailwind? Either that or Mo's improving. Just in time to take Gold in 2020 marathon.

Marcus Lawler running for Europe v USA tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Do we know if RTÉ are covering Doha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Down South wrote: »
    Do we know if RTÉ are covering Doha?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be almost certain they aren't. BBC and Eurosport are covering it, think the latter will probably have better, extended coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Worlds about to start in Doha !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Empty stadium. No surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is Berlin Marathon on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You’ll get a stream on Watch Athletics anyway P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    You’ll get a stream on Watch Athletics anyway P.

Cheers B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I think I watched it on YouTube last year...nearly sure it’s on again this year..

Advertisement