Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The country with the highest MDMA usage in the world...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

To be fair, I'd say most people have only done MDMA once, because it tastes f?ckin poxy, on the other hand, as a recovering addict, I've eaten more than my fair share, and it did me no harm, it's the harder drugs that are the problem, not the so called Rave drugs

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

uch wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd say most people have only done MDMA once, because it tastes f?ckin poxy, on the other hand, as a recovering addict, I've eaten more than my fair share, and it did me no harm, it's the harder drugs that are the problem, not the so called Rave drugs

Surely that in itself is a sign that harm was done - you were addicted. I don't know from that if you were addicted to MDMA or something else, but that sentence appears to contradict itself.

(As an aside - fair play to you for getting out of it since it's not easy and I hope your recovery keeps going well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't think you can really get addicted to MDMA. I would say marijuana is more (psychologically addictive) than MDMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Haven't tried it for years but undoubtedly the best drug I have taken.

I remember being in work early on a Monday morning after a weekend at Witnness and I was contemplating whether it was all worth it. By 10 o clock things had got so bad I decided to drop half an E. Honestly it was best day at work I ever had.

Considering it's widespread use the number of related deaths is very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

By 10 o clock things had got so bad I decided to drop half an E. Honestly it was best day at work I ever had.

Didn't see that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

that'll learn em!

oh the ironing lol

really? 3 strikes and you're locked up for life (proper life as in you die in prison!) doesn't deter people in the US
    silverharp wrote: »
    you have to be a bit damaged to put this crap in your body when you have no idea how or where it was made.

really? despite the majority of the mdma and xtc in the world since the compound was rediscovered by Shulgin in 1976 has been produced in back alley labs, very very few have died from the billions of pills swallowed by millions, many multiples die in Ireland alone from legally prescribed over the counter drugs than have died from mdma/xtc use worldwide over the course of 40+ years

i couldn't agree more and by you're own definition you are a prime example of one yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Peregrine wrote: »
    Dr Crayfish banned for a month. Patww79 for a day.

Schwiiing, Dr Crayfish and Patww79 banned from the thread.

Everyone else, cut out the abuse and snarkiness. This got too heated too quickly.

Mod

If only there was some way we could make everyone be full of love…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No, it like, opens your mind and shít:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Lots of people do drugs. I don't necessarily condone it but a good half of my year have done coke or mdma, the people in my course most of them are hard working, very motivated people who will contribute a lot to the economy after college id say. So just because they took MDMA once or twice in their college years means they shouldn't have a future?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

People who slam MDMA clearly don't know the benefits of the drug, look it up. You might be surprised. Side effects are no different to drugs currently available on the pharmaceutical market, but if you take it for recreational use, you are a bad person? Nice..

Haven't tried it for years but undoubtedly the best drug I have taken.

remember being in work early on a Monday morning after a weekend at Witnness and I was contemplating whether it was all worth it. By 10 o clock things had got so bad I decided to drop half an E. Honestly it was best day at work I ever had. I

Considering it's widespread use the number of related deaths is very low.

Proper MDMA is to my mind at least, the most amazing feeling it is probably even possible to experience - at least the first few times. That initial magic doesn't last unfortunately.

I read a thing before that you're statistically more likely to be killed by a peanut than an ecstasy pill.
    I'm not sure if it's true or not but it is undoubtedly extremely safe in normal recreational doses - as can be attested to by the handful of deaths that occur from the countless billions of pills! I doubt we would even be talking about .1% of the deaths from alcohol and that's safe enough to sell in Tesco in whatever quantity you see fit to purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ireland has the world’s highest usage of the party drug MDMA, with 39.7 percent of respondents to a global survey admitting to taking the drug in pill or powder form in the last year, findings from the Global Drugs Survey 2017 (GDS) reveal.

The GDS is “an independent global drug use data exchange hub that conducts university ethics approved, anonymous online surveys,” according to its website. Results of the survey were announced on Wednesday with data submitted by 115,000 participants from 50 countries.

Overall, the study revealed several interesting findings about recreational drug use around the world, with some surprising results. The party drug MDMA featured heavily throughout the global survey, finding Ireland as the biggest user per capita.

The figure is an improvement, however, on the whopping 58 percent of Irish respondents who reported taking the drug in Ireland in 2016.

Despite MDMA’s popularity in Ireland, cannabis still reigns supreme as the drug of choice for young people on the island, with 73.5 percent of respondents saying they had smoked weed in the past year.

https://www.rt.com/viral/389920-worlds-biggest-mdma-user/

Why are young Irish people taking so much MDMA, that is confirmed to permanently damage health?

Is it the fault of parents, the education system, law enforcement or gang influence?

How about we stop reporting bull**** studies with terrible methods. If you notice these are always the ones reporting the ridiculous results.

As for the drugs argument I don't really care what you do in your own time but certainly there are a few misconceptions about their safety. If you try something a few times or whatever I really don't care but a few people here seen to be understating the very real risks associated with a lot of drugs. Do what you like with your body but understating to others the dangers is irresponsible .

Also any advertised health benefits is not a reason to take it recreationally (while they exist they also tend to be over stated). Taking it recreationally (which as I said I have no issue with) and for health reasons are two very different things and separate risk/reward ratios (especially when a doctor is involved checking up on things!).

Christy42 wrote: »
    . Do what you like with your body but understating to others the dangers is irresponsible .

Absolutely. But so is overstating the dangers - exaggeration of the dangers leads people to discount the official line as hysterical nonsense.

People just won't buy in to the "just say no, 1 pill could ruin your life" mantra when all around them they see countless friends and colleagues popping pills without consequence! It leads to a state where they ignore official information entirely, the hysterical nonsense and the helpful stuff combined.

Any talking about drugs, should be honest and accurate, science based and not agenda driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

You need a licence to keep a dog but nothing to raise a child!

What, people who took MDMA in their youth shouldn't be allowed have kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Absolutely. But so is overstating the dangers - exaggeration of the dangers leads people to discount the official line as hysterical nonsense.

People just won't buy in to the "just say no, 1 pill could ruin your life" mantra when all around them they see countless friends and colleagues popping pills without consequence! It leads to a state where they ignore official information entirely, the hysterical nonsense and the helpful stuff combined.

Any talking about drugs, should be honest and accurate, science based and not agenda driven.

All around me I see people drink driving without consequence, for now!
    That might be more dangerous than taking the drug is question the principle is the same.

• Advertisement

Agreed there is a lot of misinformation on both sides. I mean the 1 pill could ruin your life is true but the odds are slim to say the least. People will always end up with anecdotal evidence one way or the other. It needs to be explained in such a way to take this into account.

All around me I see people drink driving without consequence, for now!
    That might be more dangerous than taking the drug is question the principle is the same.

I don't know about that - it's kind of apples and oranges. You're endangering others by doing that.
    Unless you're popping pills and then driving (which you shouldn't be doing obviously), it's a seperate argument. It's more like going for a pint and getting a taxi home, or having a drink in your friends house at the weekend.

There's very little doubt that the alcohol is doing you more damage!

I don't know about that - it's kind of apples and oranges. You're endangering others by doing that.
    Unless you're popping pills and then driving (which you shouldn't be doing obviously), it's a seperate argument. It's more like going for a pint and getting a taxi home, or having a drink in your friends house at the weekend.

There's very little doubt that the alcohol is doing you more damage!

And here we have the start of the misinformation. To begin with both have very different effects on the body so the comparison is tough. Second of all they have very different time lines in recovery for safe usage. It also depends on the quantities taken on each occasion.

Christy42 wrote: »
    And here we have the start of the misinformation. To begin with both have very different effects on the body so the comparison is tough. Second of all they have very different time lines in recovery for safe usage. It also depends on the quantities taken on each occasion.

Obviously.

There are people who will go out and have 3 or 4 pints and then there are people who will have a bottle of scotch for breakfast. There are also people who will pop 1 or 2 pills of a Friday night and there are those who will eat them like smarties.

There will always be gluttons regardless of what substance.

All drugs have different effects so comparisons are tough, but we can and do make them. What's worse for you - beer or heroin?
    Very different substances, quite an easy comparison though!

As for the quantity taken - you could walk into any supermarket tomorrow and buy enough alcohol to kill your entire family, nobody will bat an eyelid! There is a certain assumption that you won't go and drink enough to kill yourself, that you will exercise some level of self preservation. Most people do, but occasionally people do "overdose" on alcohol and die. We don't seem to all panic and demand it be banned though. What's the difference?

Obviously.

There are people who will go out and have 3 or 4 pints and then there are people who will have a bottle of scotch for breakfast. There are also people who will pop 1 or 2 pills of a Friday night and there are those who will eat them like smarties.

There will always be gluttons regardless of what substance.

All drugs have different effects so comparisons are tough, but we can and do make them. What's worse for you - beer or heroin?
    Very different substances, quite an easy comparison though!

As for the quantity taken - you could walk into any supermarket tomorrow and buy enough alcohol to kill your entire family, nobody will bat an eyelid! There is a certain assumption that you won't go and drink enough to kill yourself, that you will exercise some level of self preservation. Most people do, but occasionally people do "overdose" on alcohol and die. We don't seem to all panic and demand it be banned though. What's the difference?

I did not argue against legalisation. Overall legalisation would help imo given a large risk is in the supply process being untrustworthy so people are not always sure what they are taking.

My issue was the statement that the pills are better than alcohol. Heroin is a complete different league to the other two though in terms of addiction and damage it can cause (though again intake method varies it). For instance you could get away with alcohol far more regularly than E with no ill effects but then you have to examine the addictive qualities of alcohol and the damage if it is abused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement