Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recently diagnosed with osteoporosis

Options
  • 07-03-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Aged 60, female - thought I was as healthy as could be - GP sent me for 'routine' DEXA - -3.8 in spine, osteopinea in hips. Devastated. Anyone here who has been on that journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Why are you devastated. It's normal for bones to age. There is nothing wrong with you. Just increased risk of fracture. It's just an assessment of risk. DEXA scan market driven by pharma so they'll make more money by you attending your Dr for advice on treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Wesser wrote: »
    Why are you devastated. It's normal for bones to age. There is nothing wrong with you. Just increased risk of fracture. It's just an assessment of risk. DEXA scan market driven by pharma so they'll make more money by you attending your Dr for advice on treatment.

Don’t listen to this plonker.
    I’m sorry to hear about you diagnoses. The immediate shock is always hard to process. Chin up and just do what your doctor recommends. My sister has it at 50. She is getting the injections for the past year. So far all good with her. Just needs to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Im.not a plonker. Im just letting you know that this is not a serious diagnosis.. It's a normal.part of aging. Do not be devastated. You will be fine. Treatment with pharmaceutical drugs do not make a big difference. Exercise is the best treatment. Im trying to reassure you that you will be fine and dont be shook by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I'd love to think I'll be fine but .... Éire go brách - is that the 6-monthly injections? I opted for monthly tablet - was so shocked that I hadn't really time to process options, but dr said i could change without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The arthritis Ireland website has lots of good information on osteoporosis. It isn’t a normal part of aging. Some reduction in bone density is normal and doesn’t need treatment but osteoporosis is a real condition. Not only does it increase your risk of fractures it can cause a lot of pain. Find the best treatment for you, which may not be the first one you try, and follow the lifestyle advice and it won’t have a big impact on your life.
    If you ignore it then it won’t go away but will get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

I have osteoporosis. I was diagnosed in 2017 at the age of 47. Op I presume your blood calcium levels were checked? I have high blood calcium levels. My osteoporosis was caused by a disease of my parathyroid glands which I had unsuccessful surgery for. I'm awaiting a further operation. Basically my parathyroid glands are producing too much hormone and that hormone is pulling the calcium from my bones into my blood stream. Osteoporosis is painless. But I have bone pain from the parathyroid disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My mom and aunt have osteoporosis. My mom gets the injections because my aunt had a lot of side effects from the tablet. She finds keeping fit helps a lot. She does loads of walking and it definitely hasn’t affected her life at the moment.

Do any of ye know if there is a cause for your osteoporosis? Like long term steroid use or a disease like I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Do any of ye know if there is a cause for your osteoporosis? Like long term steroid use or a disease like I have?

For my mom there’s no medical condition. Its low BMI and a family history. I have osteopenia as well.

Thanks for the replies - no history that I am aware of in my family (though it has struck me that a first cousin appears to have got smaller). Not a low BMI - I would be a stone overweight but played sport up to my 40s and would be very active - walk regularly etc. No longterm illness - in fact never ever sick. never in hospital apart from 2 caesarians. (Painless) kidney stones so dr decided not to put me on calcium supplement - on Vitamin D and the monthly tablet. Had bllod tests yesterday so will see does that throw any extra light on subject. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I also have osteoporosis and can understand the shock and fear that comes with the diagnosis.

A Dexa scan gives an indication of the quantity of bone but not the quality. You could have very strong bones but that won't show on a Dexa.

This is just my experience and not medical advice. Along with diet, exercise is very important. I take a pilates bone health class twice a week and that's keeping my bone density stable, in fact, my hip measurement improved. See if there's a qualified physiotherapist doing bone health pilates anywhere nearby. Make sure the person is knowledgeable about bone health as a lot of regular pilates moves are contraindicated with osteoporosis. I took Fosamax for a long time with no side effects.

www.nof.org the American National Osteoporosis Foundation has a lot of info and a support community where you can chat to others with the same issues.

Thanks again - I had recently started Yoga classes and had done (physio-led) Pilates classes previously but I haven't been back to Yoga since as I felt the bending etc would be too much. I will contact the Pilates physio again.

Thanks - I had been doing (beginners') Yoga since January - as a treat for myself - but haven't been there in last 2 weeks as I felt it might be too much for my spine.(I have made another appt with my GP to go and talk rationally - I was so surprised when she told me, listening to her horror stories of compression and ending up looking at the path, that I couldn't take it in !) . I have done physio-taught Pilates previously so I may go back there. I do walk for c30-40 mins every day.

Thanks for the replies - no history that I am aware of in my family (though it has struck me that a first cousin appears to have got smaller). Not a low BMI - I would be a stone overweight but played sport up to my 40s and would be very active - walk regularly etc. No longterm illness - in fact never ever sick. never in hospital apart from 2 caesarians. (Painless) kidney stones so dr decided not to put me on calcium supplement - on Vitamin D and the monthly tablet. Had bllod tests yesterday so will see does that throw any extra light on subject. Thanks again.

Kidney stones and osteoporosis are two symptoms of the Endocrine disease I have. As well as a bone profile blood test you should make sure your Renal Function is tested and also your vitamin D level and your parathyroid hormone level. A lot of people with what I have are fobbed off with the wrong diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Wesser wrote: »
    Im.not a plonker. Im just letting you know that this is not a serious diagnosis.. It's a normal.part of aging. Do not be devastated. You will be fine. Treatment with pharmaceutical drugs do not make a big difference. Exercise is the best treatment. Im trying to reassure you that you will be fine and dont be shook by it.

Treatment does not make a big difference? Lol

Advertisement