Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s the necessary infrastructure works - the new terminus on the Dundrum bypass for the L25 & 74 and then new stop kerbing along the southern half of Ballinteer Road for the 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

So, we are supposedly into the first week of a new schedule for the disastrous G Spine, without the public timetable being affected. Has anyone noticed any immediate improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

G1 from Red Cow today 16:15 didn't show up or left 3 min sooner. The next bus for a 16:27 service came at about 16:17-16:18. That's quite tight for this time of the day. There should be at least 20 min at minimum for a layover, so I guess a part of it was eaten due to traffic. I'm note sure how many minutes it is actually given. I'd say, need more time for layovers... But it's just a once off sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

^^ More layovers means more drivers needed - a catch-22 situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Apparently the revised strategy is; shore up existing services with new recruits over the coming months, roll out of Western orbitals is to start in May/June, roll out of South orbitals by September and F spine by November, including 24hr timetable. If recruitment picks up, 2024 will be the year of the biggest changes, perhaps 3 spines and inner orbitals rolled out in 2024. In any scenario the network review will still be going on well into 2025 perhaps even 2026 or 7 in more pessimistic scenarios. The whole thing sounded a bit 'god willing', I got the sense that there's very little the NTA or bus companies can really do at this stage as there's way too many external factors in play. It does sound like recruitment is improving though, which is positive.

More talk of quick build interventions in advance of the cbcs, mostly in the inner suburbs or 'urban villages' as they are now called for some reason. No firm dates or specific actions. DCC as always doesn't want to do anything, afraid of literally any form of criticism.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah FFS, so no N2 until 2024!!

"More talk of quick build interventions in advance of the cbcs, mostly in the inner suburbs or 'urban villages' as they are now called for some reason. No firm dates or specific actions. DCC as always doesn't want to do anything, afraid of literally any form of criticism."

This makes sense, the 100 meters of works they did outside the Cat and Cage in Drumcondra was an absolute game changer for the route. It vastly improved journey times along that route. Hopefully these will be equally small but impactful changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Do you happen to know if the Western Orbitals rollout is to include the W2 as well? If so, what would happen to the Ballyfermot section of the 76?

There really isn’t anything else they can do.

The amount of services being cancelled last year was significant, yet the NTA just put their heads in the sand and ploughed on regardless launching the N4 and increased service on the N6 when there were nowhere near enough drivers to operate them and the existing services. Don't get me wrong the N4 is great, but it was launched at the cost of many existing services.

It was lunacy, as so many of us have since experienced the shocking levels of cancellations during the latter half of 2022.

This strategy really is nothing new - they clearly committed to such an approach at the Oireachtas Transport Committee - only launching new phases when there were sufficient drivers to resource them and the existing services, and I commented on that here. The NTA need to stop being in ivory towers and react to the situation on the ground. Otherwise public support will nosedive.

Hopefully recruitment will continue in the right direction.

Glad to see that perhaps finally the Minister is getting the NTA to actually focus on delivering realistic quick wins rather than lumping everything on the BusConnects planning process which was always going to be a long haul.

Well to be honest, I think the Western and Southern orbitals need to get going first - there are gaping holes in the network in those areas that are probably needed more than the N2.

As far as I know yes and I don't know what's happening to the 76

• Advertisement

Well again, it would probably see a hybrid situation as per the 26 and 40 - the W2 still serving Ballyfermot until the S4 launches.

These small interventions are vital to the project and can be done cheaply, particularly the bus gates, its just that there's no bottle to tackle the pro car people.

The proposed kilmainham bus gate is also crucial to improving the movement of emergency services accessing St James, especially when the new children's hospital opens.

And of course there doesn't seem to be any movement on enforcement which is one way we could drastically improve the existing service quickly with no planning or funding constraints but there's no political will to fine law breakers in this city/country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Was looking forward to the e-spine (especially 24 hour service) and southern orbitals (especially the S4 as it's a handier route to work), but I completely agree that they should focus on getting enough drivers for the current services first before trying to tackle further expansion.

Seperately, is there any advancement on the new UCD bus interchange? Have yet to see our hear anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I recall reading an article from Dublin Live a while back about the W6 being split up into 2 routes for a whole year before it effectively becomes the full W6 route from Maynooth to Tallaght.

There was a road bridge located in between Newcastle and Hazelhatch which could only accommodate one way traffic on that bridge.

I cannot believe that I am hearing that this part of the Western Orbital phase will be going out first ahead of the Southern Orbitals this year.

On the Southern Orbitals side of things; there is actual work going on for the past few days to install the 4 new bus stops for the 74 route on Ballinteer Road since Monday/Tuesday.

Is there any new work beginning soon about installation of new bus stops for the Western Orbitals very soon or would they be needed at all.

I will bet you any of the residents living in Ballinteer will not be happy to hear that the 74 is now not going to be rolled out in that area until September 2023.

They're still struggling to fully staff the existing service although that situation has improved and continues to improve.

Liffey Valley bus interchange to be introduced on February 19th.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Introduction-of-Liffey-Valley-Bus-Plaza/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

What are the plans for GAI routes I presume the L51 will be using it. Will the 76/a be serving the new interchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The interchange isn't going to be of much use until they relocate the stop for the C busses and build the new overpass.

Well clearly yes they will, as it’s the new terminus location at the shopping centre, and the old stops will be no more.

I’m sure that they or the NTA will post something in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Is the W8 Maynooth to Tallaght route shelved for the time being?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's the W6, was renumbered after the first proposed plans

Thank you, it'll be interesting to see how this works. I know there are double decker buses crossing the HH bridge daily bringing kids from Athgoe and Newcastle to school in Celbridge, so hopefully this service is a success

At the moment the plan for the W6 service is that it is going to be initially split in two - one operating Tallaght-Newcastle and another Hazelhatch-Maynooth, due to road width issues for two buses passing one another (and not just at the bridge).

Once they’re resolved it’ll run as a full route.

There are local efforts to get the southern half in the meantime to run to Adamstown instead to provide a rail connection.

Makes sense, I presume then it will be Tallaght -> Newcastle -> Adamstown, which will open a lot of routes for Newcastle people. Just visualising the Hazel Hatch road, especially the bend near the concrete factory, there will be a fair bit of work needed to get the required space. Luckily there's a lot of green space around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Okay thanks I wasn't sure about the 76 as it only passes through Liffey Valley SC as opposed to terminating there

"and the old stops will be no more."

Just to point out, the old stops will still be in place and be used by the 26 (and I presume the 76), since they still pass by them on the way to/from the new interchange.

The G2, L51 & L53, however, will go direct to the interchange and will no longer use the old stops.

I read the notice too quickly, but stop 7976 will no longer be in use for the 26, while stop 4715 will remain.

I would expect that the 76/76a will use the new interchange - the whole point of it is to provide a proper bus station for all services passing through Liffey Valley SC.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Monday to Friday timetables on Go Ahead Dublin City bus routes at long last revert to the normal service levels from Monday 13th February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GAI have also added some new colours to their revised pdf timetables.

Monday to Friday is in red.

Saturday is Blue.

Sunday and Public Holidays are in orange.

It is nice that they did it. However it is a shame that not all of the timetables are in the same format for every PSO here.

I suppose these timetables going back to normal will sit well with the public who use their routes. Or would people get confused again when they have to deal with yet another timetable change when they are not on social media.

• Advertisement

Good thing then that most of the on-stop timetables were never updated to show the Saturday plus schedule then 😁

Advertisement